UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  crazycal1 
#1 ·
dudes, please enlighten me :)

over the years rear delts seem to rear theyre ugly heads every now and again..

why are people bothered about theyre rear delts when theyre legs or arms or chest and back are still needing mass?

has anyone been scrutinized and had the observer say yup you need to work on your rear delts when all or most other bodyparts need still need mass?

are legs a lower priority?

are rear delts a priority over a big back?

i suspect if you focussed on the big bodyparts and got them up to size you`d probably have rear delts that were visible.

i know for a fact deadlifts have grown my rear delts and on the one shoulder that isnt wonky i have a very good rear delt in proportion with the rest of my shoulder (my shoulders are round, not bowling ball big but aesthetically symetrical)

are you not just looking and scrutinizing bodyparts that will grow anyway, waaaay too early because if you give them time and get your big lifts up they`d be fine

doing unnecessary exercises when theyre not needed is surely a waste of time and energy that could be devoted to more productive purposes.

the idea is to do as little work as necessary to stimulate a response in the body and put as much of your energy into recovery which will lead to more growth.

when cutting people restrict calories, usually its done by specific amounts..

you dont think well i`ll trim off an extra 200cals a day when you dont need to.

so when training why is there not the same level of specificity?

nearly everyone err`s on the side of caution by doing more.

the idea is for your body to be at peak anabolism not taking it past the perfect point and be slightly catabolic all the time.

i see naturals and assisted trainer basically doing the same routines, same volumes and frequency.

does that mean natural trainers think they can recover as quickly as an assisted trainer?

btw i have a friend who thinks i`m off my tits crazy for doing 3-4 sets per bodypart when he only does 1 set per bodypart for everything..

he`s more like me than me lol..

he`s squatted 180kg for 20 reps in the past and altho is a little shy of showing his physique off which tbh for me is the bottom line he`s crazy strong to be doing these weights naturally...

he says he`s only into lifting for strength but i think thats bollcks and if he manages to cut like he says he is, his top will be off quicker than you can say arnold lol

i`m long past suggesting others do 3 sets only cos some people just need more sets, but theres a big group of compounds to choose from which build mass and shape too, so why would you include pure shaping exercises intent on shaping muscle tissue that hasnt even grown yet?

youre potentially retarding recovery and growth.

if i was on the wrong track with this i`d be the smallest member on here if results were based on amount of sets done, but i`m not..

so i`m guessing im on the right track..

thast not boasting, my progress has been painfully slow, but thats more down to my physical factors and limitations than more training and possibly my age doesnt help, but it certainly doesnt stop progress, every year bar fusion years ive improved on the previous year.

if i can stay healthy and keep doing what i`m doing aim to improve every year till i peak and then aim to hold that peak..

then i`d like to think i have "evidence" of my approach working for your typical dude..

most of us on here are typical dudes, not easy gainers..

there are lots of basic exercises that work for everyone, the individualization i`m always hearing should be modifying what already works, not lurching from one routine to another claiming it doesnt work for me cos im an individual.

you might not get on with low bar squats so you`d modify it till you do, you might squat with a mix of high and low bar principles or just high bar, maybe if youre leverages are that bad you`d have to leg press or you might find a trap bar works better for you.

but it seems if squats arent working leg extensions and leg curls are added...

thats adding to your work load and using up part of the 100% of energy you have set aside for a workout..

when youre training hard and progress still isnt happening and youre fcuked after a workout, how does adding stuff in improve a routine?

i bet if you had 1 exercise for a workout and you knew that it was all you were allowed to do for an entire workout, you`d do more reps than you would than if you were completing a full workout.

well thats how every rep and set for every exercise should be approached.

so when training getting hard and youre hitting pb`s and you want to keep adding increments each week, have a think about what the crazy old bastrd suggests about dropping an exercise out for a few weeks and see if it helps you progress further. (shrugs/bi`s/tri`s/abs/grip work/maybe calves altho in my case i doubt it)

Jakal bud this thread isnt aimed at you, but kinda maybe inspired a little by you :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Its all down to where you are with your training.

As you say, no-one should really be looking at the "finer detail" stuff when they have bigger issues with development. I can't think of ANY sport/activity whereby the rear delt (in this example) would be an over-riding concern, at the expense of, for example, legs, back etc.

Its like diet, people who are eating shite (KFC, McD's etc) and only having 1-2 meals a day, are asking dumb-ass questions about which protein powder is best, product A because it has 22g protein per serving or Product B which has 23g??

Like you say, people need to get the basics nailed first, then they can look at the "detail stuff".

#3 ·
haha I was gonna say!

I train rear delts because in a video - Scooby I think it was! said that if you dont train rear delts you will end up with a posture problem as you are doing the front and side delts.

I stand corrected I guess.

Cal, looking at my body pics - would you say I got back to the full body routine, or 2 x split routine? If Im after size?

Or should I continue with the legs, push pull routine but prioritise better?

Sorry if the above question seems silly or obvious!

#4 ·
good reason for doing rear delts jakal, however deadlifts heavily work the upper back, dont underestimate static holds (which is what youre doing with your upper back whilst deadlifting)

you also use rear delts heavily or should be whils training back.

chest up, contract your lats and lock your muscles.. your activating rear delts.

i would do rotator cuff work still tho.

now then budski, i specifically said t`other day about full body routines that i`d only use them after a lay off of when starting out training for the first time.

you could use them beyond that, but i think the heavier you lift its a bad idea training the entire body 2-3x a week.

if you did you`d have to have an easy, medium and heavy day or intensity days..

i dont think you could enforce that if i`m honest, you`d go as heavy as you could every time.

so for now forget about full bodies, they have theyre place, but..

yes i know you want size, i also know you want bf loss..

no disrespect or being bigheaded i`m probly 3 moves ahead of you with your thinking lol

if you trained 2 or 3 x a week it gives you 4 or 5 days a week to focus on fat loss.

you want a clear cut formulae that works ie 1+1=2, thats possible if you do exactly as your told and not blank out the bits you dont like the sound of lol or dont take on board.

i`m not saying do 2x a week or 3 but i`ll use the example of 2x a week.

you train 2x aweek, you go for a 4 mile march ever fcuking day you dotn train, that takes 1 hour, pick a hilly route and get your average speed up to 4.5mph.

if your diet is even vaguely right this will burn bodyfat.

that gives you 2x a week to train.

now i`m a bit stumped as to what to say next cos we`ve been over this ground more than a few times..

squats

bench

biceps

triceps

rotator cuff

deads (i prefer sldl done to just below the knbee)

mili press

a back exercise

calves/abs

if you cant fcuk yourself up with 3 sets on squats for example do 4 or 5 sets, dont assume the highest number i`m saying is best. you might be able to do 6 sets if your really undertraining a lift i just dont know until i see you train.. (and i will lol)

you will get to the point as weight goes on bar that you cant manage 6 or 5 or 4 sets..

no more skipping increments and i`l be honest 2.5kg increments are too much for you when weights get hard.

you need to invest in smaller weight plates.

this weeks weight should feel only fractionally harder than the previosu weeks weight.

deads should go 70kg, possibly 72.5kg dropping no reps, then 1kg a week never dropping more than a rep a week making it your life to get to your first goal of 80kg..

if 70kg takes 40% OF YOUR ENTIRE ENERGY LEVELS 80KG even with a slow adaption rate to the new weight son the bar leave you putting in possible 50% of your total energy..

do you think this happens with you as you add weight to the bar?

i`d use the same thinking with bench..

i`d very quickly not even try to add weight to bi`s and tri`s, if i`m gaining on first 2 exercises and holding my weight on arms thats progression still.

i do think you train hard, but hard is relative and youre probly only accessing 70-80% of your potential.

i know ive got more potential to find still and always keep looking for more..

i will say tho if i went and trained with someone who gave me a load of giant sets to do i`d bitch out very early cos thats not how i train, i can train intensely with a heavy or light weight, but as i dont even really do supersets if i was forced to do a set immediately after a work set i`d fail horribly..

so altho i can train very intensley its only in the style i`m used to..

this is something i want to attend to, i did some side delt raises the other day and barely got 8 reps with 4kg db`s.

i do think tho that most people who do these say they get a contraction but when i see video evidence that contraction last a milisecond and as far as i`m concerned thats just waving your arms around in the year, not drawing the db`s up using your delt muscles only..

a chap i train is 16 stone, been on gear for 6 months and ive gotten him down from 15 kg side raises to 4 kg db`s cos he`s now doing them properly.

anyhoo, digest that and i`ll see if i can think of anything else that might ping something off in your head down the line..

just trying to get you thinking bud :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.