UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Getting HUGE!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been going to the gym for bout 11 months now, gained a lot tbh, was extremely skinny when i started and now im getting there.

What does everyone think to this plan? Its modified very slightly from what ive been doing, mainly because there were some exercises i wasnt doing that i felt i should do.

Monday - Arms

Hammer curls, 3 sets of 8

EZ preacher curls, 4 sets of 8

Rope pushdown, 3 sets of 8

Skull crushers, 3 sets of 8

Reverse cable curls, 3 sets of 8 (i think thats the name, theyre for forearms)

Tuesday - Legs

Squats, 4 sets of 8

Leg extention, 3 sets of 8

Leg curl, 3 sets of 8

Leg Press, 3 sets of 8

Wednesday - Chest

Dumbel bench press, 3 sets of 8

Dumbel incline bench, 4 sets of 8

Dumbel decline bench, 3 sets of 8

Incline fly, 2 sets of 8

Cable crossover, 2 sets of 8

Thursday - Back

Seated row, 3 sets of 8

Deadlift, 4 sets of 8

Upright row, 3 sets of 8

Bent over row, 3 sets of 8

Machine chin ups, 3 sets of 8 (for assisting as i cant do my whole body weight)

Friday - Shoulders

Shrugs, 3 sets of 8

Shoulder press, 4 sets of 8

Side raises, 3 sets of 8

Rear fly, 3 sets of 8

Dont spend more than an hour in the gym each day, i tried a 3 day plan but all it seemed to do was make me sweat, i didnt feel it enough, yet i couldnt physically do any more at the end.

Any advise welcome!

Thanks

Shaun

·
Getting HUGE!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Generally i dont mush myself very hard on a tuesday, as i have very weak legs, and when i do push myself, i just get disappointed at how little i can do. Im not exactly strong, but it doesnt make me feel very strong when my legs are as small and weak as they are.

Maybe i need to hold back on everything else a little and get my legs stronger? Obviously still do the other exercises, but not as intense, whats everyones thoughts on this?

Thanks

Shaun

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
I think your training program looks OK TBH.

But if your legs are a weak point you should be pushing yourslef as hard as you can on leg days not holding back because you are not happy with how much weight you can mov. Don`t neg yourself out accept where you are and just make sure you give 110% and you will progress. Nothing good happens quickly.

Also don`t hold back on any other body parts either, just work everything as hard as you possibly can and you have to improve if you are eating and resting well too.

·
A little bit of pain doesn't hurt
502 Posts
Actually I dont think the routine is suitable. You should be doing a 2 way split done 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri). Do hardly any isolation exercises and mostly compound ones. Your routine should be made up of bench press, military press, close grip bench press, dips, deadlifts, bent over barbell rows, pull ups, straight leg deadlifts and most importantly SQUATS.

Split your routine up like this:

Workout 1

Squats 3 x 5 (move up to 5 x 5 when ready)

Bench press 5 x 5

Military press 3 x 8

Dips 3 x 8

Workout 2

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Barbell bent over rows 3 x 5

Pull ups 3 x 8

EZ bar curls 3 x 8

Focus on progresivly getting stronger from workout to workout making sure you eat loads of food and get plenty of rest. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
ed220 said:
Actually I dont think the routine is suitable. You should be doing a 2 way split done 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri). Do hardly any isolation exercises and mostly compound ones. Your routine should be made up of bench press, military press, close grip bench press, dips, deadlifts, bent over barbell rows, pull ups, straight leg deadlifts and most importantly SQUATS.

Workout 1

Bench press 5 x 5

Military press 3 x 8

Dips 3 x 8

Workout 2

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Pull ups 3 x 8

EZ bar curls 3 x 8

Focus on progresivly getting stronger from workout to workout making sure you eat loads of food and get plenty of rest. Hope that helps.
All you have for legs is 5x5 squats once or twice a week ??

IMO most people`s legs would [email protected] themselves laughing at that amount of volume.

I would stick to what you`re doing OP, just make sure you put maximum effort into it, instead of holding back as you say, and throw 5 or 6 sets of calf work in somewhere, possibly.

·
A little bit of pain doesn't hurt
502 Posts
goonerton said:
All you have for legs is 5x5 squats once or twice a week ??

IMO most people`s legs would [email protected] themselves laughing at that amount of volume.

I would stick to what you`re doing OP, just make sure you put maximum effort into it, instead of holding back as you say, and throw 5 or 6 sets of calf work in somewhere, possibly.
Yes. Squats are by far the best leg exercise. If done with a full range of motion they work the quads, hamstrings and other supporting muscles. Do you really think legs are built with sets of leg extensions and curls ? They just eat into recovery. Thats all a beginner needs to do for legs is squat with heavy ar$e weights, eat, rest, then come back and lift even more. And dont forget, legs (especially hamstrings) are used during deadlifts as well.

And yes, a lot of people would laugh at such a small amount of volume, but it is those same people who are lifting the same amount of weight month in month out and making very little progress. These people would progress far faster and not waste time if they switched to heavy compound movements instead of getting 'the pump' with ineffective isolation exercises and regimes

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
ed220 said:
Yes. Squats are by far the best leg exercise. If done with a full range of motion they work the quads, hamstrings and other supporting muscles. Do you really think legs are built with sets of leg extensions and curls ? They just eat into recovery. Thats all a beginner needs to do for legs is squat with heavy ar$e weights, eat, rest, then come back and lift even more. And dont forget, legs (especially hamstrings) are used during deadlifts as well.

And yes, a lot of people would laugh at such a small amount of volume, but it is those same people who are lifting the same amount of weight month in month out and making very little progress. These people would progress far faster and not waste time if they switched to heavy compound movements instead of getting 'the pump' with ineffective isolation exercises and regimes
Why are you under the impression that I`m telling him not to squat?

On leg days I do 5x 10-12 reps of squats , along with leg press, extensions, ham curls, calf raises. I`ve never seen or heard of anyone building an impressive set of wheels doing just 5x5 squats once or twice a week...Full ROM or not!!

You run off a list of compounds you think the OP should be doing...Yet he has all of them already included in his program apart from dips.

IMO his program is far better balanced than yours.

·
Vanity is a Sin
6,890 Posts
ed220 said:

Workout 1

Bench press 5 x 5

Military press 3 x 8

Dips 3 x 8

Workout 2

Deadlifts 5 x 5

Pull ups 3 x 8

EZ bar curls 3 x 8

:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Great advice IMO, reps

btw goonerton, deads will work his hams mate:thumbup1:

Isolation exercises have there place but you can't beat compound for the

first couple of years for gaining the required strength, then possibly your routine

could be fitted in along the line, or a similar one.

JMO of course:beer:

·
Vanity is a Sin
6,890 Posts
ed220 said:

Ahh, you had it covered, note, must read all thread before pontificating:lol:

Must admit I love the way ed thinks:thumbup1:

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
tel3563 said:
:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Great advice IMO, reps

btw goonerton, deads will work his hams mate:thumbup1:

Isolation exercises have there place but you can't beat compound for the

first couple of years for gaining the required strength, then possibly your routine

could be fitted in along the line, or a similar one.

JMO of course:beer:
I know that deads work hams , but IMO Ed`s program is still neglecting legs and is unbalanced, he is advocating 5x5 squats 1 or 2 times a week. So on average thats a total of 37 dedicated leg reps a week.

Over half your muscles are in the lower half, so IMO unless you have amazingly genetically gifted legs that amount of volume is never going to be anywhere near enough to maximise growth.

I fully agree that compound exercises should form the basis of his program. But the OP`s program is pretty much based around compound movements anyway.

OK he has a dedicated arm day, but if he has been training seriously for 11 months and has a decentish foundation, I don`t see anything wrong with that TBH.

I would take the OP`s routine over the other guy`s everyday of the week...Just could do with some calf work in there IMO...

Reps??:laugh:

·
Getting HUGE!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My legs are very weak haha.

Did legs today.

Vertical Leg press, 60kg, 80kg, 80kg

Leg curl/extension, no idea what weight as its just blank weights on the machines....

Calf raises, 50kg, 50kg, 55kg

Squat, 40kg, 40kg, 40kg, 40kg

Its a start i suppose. Hopefully going to get to 60kg squat and 100kg leg press, thats my aim, then anything i gain after that is progress as far as im concerned :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.