UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, quick question and a bit of advice needed really....

i take a protein shake called 'iso-7 synergy by Phd'... im 19 years old and i am trying to bulk up at the moment....

My brother is 23 years old and goes to the gym 3/4 times a week, he doesnt really do weights to bulk up or for pure definition, he just wants to have a good body shape and keep fit.

he has read loads of reviews on my protein shake and is curious if there are any protein shakes that you guys would recommend just for general fitness and to make sure that his body has enough 'stuff' in ( i.e protein, vitamins etc) to stay healthy.

Questions: if he wants a protein shake or supplement to keep healthy and give his muscles what they need but without bulking up to much, what is the best one to take,

Is it best to take the protein shake before or after he works out.

He wants to be more defined without bulking up to much, so what can you recommend to do this, i.e workouts

and heres a few stats for him....

Height: 5'10

Weight: 71kg

Body fat: 10-12%

he used to swim for county when he was 7-15, but stopped,

any advice would help..

Thanks guys.....

Monk.....

P.s: my brother will sign up tommorrow.... :D

·
The Norwich Personal Trainer
12,416 Posts
you need to be consuming protein 5-6 x a day.

a protein powder will not put weight on you by itself.

a protein powder is basically a substitute for food, but can be beneficial at certain times of the day.

morning,post training last thing..for example.

·
Under Construction
17 Posts
Build & Recover from Extreme Nutrition is a good one to take after working out, it will give you all what your body needs after working out. I am currently taking this though am about to use Extreme Pro 6.

Eating 5-6 meals a day will also help with recovery & build.

·
Under Construction
2,468 Posts
Build and Recover has carbs though, if he's trying to be lean that might not be the best recommendation.

So a whey only source might be more suited, as he may wish to get the carbs he does want from food instead. Brands such as extreme, ON, myprotein are all good sources to get your whey from.

Trick is to not bulk up is just to avoid carbs, not everyone is a genetic freak anyway, bulking up can be quite difficult for some in particular people with ectomorph somatotypes... what is his somatotype? see link http://www.brianmac.co.uk/bodytype.htm

Does he swim now? If he was to do this like 3-6 times a week it would most certainly be beneficial to his staying defined regime, alongside some weights naturally.

·
Newbie Trainer
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SWEET thanks guys, some wiked advice ?? is there anywhere on this forum i can post measurements and updates to let you guys know how im gettung on and how i can improve quicker etc. ??

Monk...........

·
Newbie Trainer
879 Posts
monk23 said:
SWEET thanks guys, some wiked advice ?? is there anywhere on this forum i can post measurements and updates to let you guys know how im gettung on and how i can improve quicker etc. ??

Monk...........
You could set up a Progress Journal and log workouts, measurements and etc. that way people can see what you doing and offer advice, I've certainly found it helpful! :)

·
Under Construction
499 Posts
im sorry, but if your only aims are to be in shape and healthy.. then why is there any need for protein supplements at all?

a clean, balanced diet and sufficient exercise is all you need for that.

protein supplements are designed to help people trying to build muscle to drastically increase their protein intake beyond the normal RDA - theres no need for this for health reasons at all IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.