UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
14,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does a slow release protein help before bed.

It obviously helps to keep the muscles fed during 8hrs of fasting.

But how much do you think it helps in doing well on a cycle and doing great on a cycle.

Would it make that much difference to gains?

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Well as you are cycling, you will also be on a high calorie diet I am assuming 4000+cals perhaps?

Thing is, eating healthy, whole food, these cals are hard to consume unless you have a pre bed meal or consume lots of supplements.

I am not necessarily an advocate of pre bed meals, it disturbs sleep and stops the body detoxing over night. I have and do, do it however, only get the extra calories and I try to make it a light meal if possible.

The 8hrs of fasting during sleep, is utilised by the body to detox, cleansing the liver, then when you wake you have a meal known as breakfast (break the fast).

Fasting has been used to detox in many cultures for years and is highly recommended as part of anyones post cycle routine.

Unless you need the extra meal time to enable you to consume the high calories I am assuming you are taking, then take some glutamine in water (5-20g depending on size) and nothing else.

·
Moderator, Applied Sports Nutritionist
12,597 Posts
Dont ever bother TBH.

My last meal is about an hour before bed and normally consists of some complex carbs and a meat based protein source which will break down over the course of the night.

When dieting I do have 5g of Aminos and 5g of Glutamine before bed but thats really more of an anti catabolic thing than muscle gain.

·
Newbie Trainer
94 Posts
Hmmm,

Well your body isn't technically starving untill about 10-12hours after you last meal,

of course that's going to vary from person to person...

However, if you do lose some mass from the lack of protein then why would it not be resynthesised after a good breakfast (providing that the stimulus is there)?

But even then, are you really going to lose anything noticeable? Perhaps if you keep it up for long enough...

That's my personal view however, I can't even sleep on an empty stomach so I do always take the slow digesting protein before bed, if it does help then in the long term you'll see benefits I suppose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts