UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
So any protein with low carbs and sugars good then?

Thanks
Well, as a diabetic do you feel you need more or less sugar? I can't answer that question mate. If less sugar is healthier for you, go for the diet blends. If more sugar, go for the weight gainers. I'm not sure if diabetics are supposed to reduce carbs or keep a health amount of carbs in them at all times. I suppose different diabetics have different needs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as a diabetic do you feel you need more or less sugar? I can't answer that question mate. If less sugar is healthier for you, go for the diet blends. If more sugar, go for the weight gainers. I'm not sure if diabetics are supposed to reduce carbs or keep a health amount of carbs in them at all times. I suppose different diabetics have different needs.
It's for my dad he got diagnosed with rare type 2 6 years ago and has dropped from 18st to 12 and is extremely depressed so I am trying to help him gain some back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's for my dad he got diagnosed with rare type 2 6 years ago and has dropped from 18st to 12 and is extremely depressed so I am trying to help him gain some back.
Your Dad has done really well to drop that weight. Good on him. A question tho: do you think helping him put on weight (which isn’t always a good thing for people with diabetes type 2) is going to make him less depressed?

Unsure if his weight loss is related to depression or something else?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Any protein is good I'd GUESS bro. Diabetes has more to do with carbs, depending on wether or not you seen more or less sugar in your life, there are weight gainer blends with lots of carbs or diet blends with minimal carbs
WHY THE **** ARE YOU ANSWERING THE QUESTION WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER?

FFS imperial.leather; you fecking cry everyone bashes you - but this is exactly why. Diabetes is serious shit, it's a medical condition. you don't give advice that impacts people's health on a "guess". Diabetes will strain the kidneys, and potentially if kidneys are already stressed a high protien intake or rapidly spiked protien level could exacerbate this.

To OP: generally type 2 diabetics are okay to consume moderate amounts of whey protein in conjunction with their balanced diet; you'd need to check the macros of the specific powder; most are low-sugar now days (circa 1g per serving) but there are still a handful that have a significant amount of sugar in. However if your dad has a rare form of diabetes it would be worth him asking his doctor first.

·
Registered
971 Posts
WHY THE **** ARE YOU ANSWERING THE QUESTION WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER?

FFS imperial.leather; you fecking cry everyone bashes you - but this is exactly why. Diabetes is serious shit, it's a medical condition. you don't give advice that impacts people's health on a "guess". Diabetes will strain the kidneys, and potentially if kidneys are already stressed a high protien intake or rapidly spiked protien level could exacerbate this.

To OP: generally type 2 diabetics are okay to consume moderate amounts of whey protein in conjunction with their balanced diet; you'd need to check the macros of the specific powder; most are low-sugar now days (circa 1g per serving) but there are still a handful that have a significant amount of sugar in. However if your dad has a rare form of diabetes it would be worth him asking his doctor first.
Ok fine. You're right I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Ok fine. You're right I'm wrong
It's not a matter of being right or wrong; its a matter of you consistently giving advice on things you know nothing about.

If it's not something you're experienced in, stay quiet. If it's something you're interested in - follow it and learn. For example if someone comes on asking about insulin protocols stay quiet, it's not your wheel house. If they come on asking how to take steroids but look like you've never lifted a weight in your life - chime on - you da man for that topic 👍👍

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He is 12 stone but looks 8 stone that's the problem. He looks and feels extremely ill and is a stubborn **** when it comes to the doctors. Me and my Mrs love the gym and healthy eating so we want to start helping him with the right meals to help him look healthier again.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
He is 12 stone but looks 8 stone that's the problem. He looks and feels extremely ill and is a stubborn **** when it comes to the doctors. Me and my Mrs love the gym and healthy eating so we want to start helping him with the right meals to help him look healthier again.
How old is your dad bud? Type 2 diabetes can be pretty much fixed with a keto diet person dependent, its very difficult but if it meant being healthier and feeling better again i'd move heaven and earth for that so might be worth looking into it for him, however a keto diet won't make him put weight on but really the last thing he wants to be doing is trying to add weight through crabs, if i were in his shoes i'd just want to be lean and healthy, if he ate a keto diet and did weights he'd be in very good shape and i'm sure that would perk him up unless him mood is related to something else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How old is your dad bud? Type 2 diabetes can be pretty much fixed with a keto diet person dependent, its very difficult but if it meant being healthier and feeling better again i'd move heaven and earth for that so might be worth looking into it for him, however a keto diet won't make him put weight on but really the last thing he wants to be doing is trying to add weight through crabs, if i were in his shoes i'd just want to be lean and healthy, if he ate a keto diet and did weights he'd be in very good shape and i'm sure that would perk him up unless him mood is related to something else.
He's 53 mate. He can't sit still he has to be working, hes either at his own shop working or working with his business friend doing 12 hrs a day. I can guarantee he's burning twice as much as he's putting back in on calories.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I'm type 1 diabetic for me all protein powder is fine just low sugar which to be honest most are now days.

Obviously just cause it works for me means nothing I would start with small amounts and keep a regular check on blood sugar levels I highly doubt he will have a issue but everyone is different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts