UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Shaping up ...
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some cheap-ish protein bars that are decent, just for snacking purposes at work.

So if anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
"Each workout is like a brick in a building,every
8,318 Posts
MyProtein Oats & whey choc peanut are nice

£19.95 18 bars

Per 88g bar:

Energy: 316.0cal

Protein (as-is): 21.6g

Carbohydrates: 43.8g

of which sugars: 6.3g

Fat: 8.4g

of which saturates: 3.5g

Dietary Fibre: 2.6g

Sodium: 0.2g

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
CNP Pro flapjack - £1.15 p/bar in holland barretts (currently 30% of a box) however you can pick them up for £19.99 a box or even £15 in certain offers.

Offers 287 calories, 30g complex carbs 3-7 sugars, 18.7g of protein and a decent whack of fibre.

Very good for a snack or MRP.

There are other really good ones but you generally pay more (and tbh the cnp flapjacks are the cheapest and best quality).

EAS Myoplex bars arent too bad a little bland but more MRP vitamin/mineral rich.

Personally, CNP Flapjack !!!

·
UK-Muscle Sponsor
5,629 Posts
G

·
zelobinksy said:
CNP Pro flapjack - £1.15 p/bar in holland barretts (currently 30% of a box) however you can pick them up for £19.99 a box or even £15 in certain offers.

Offers 287 calories, 30g complex carbs 3-7 sugars, 18.7g of protein and a decent whack of fibre.

There are other really good ones but you generally pay more (and tbh the cnp flapjacks are the cheapest and best quality).

EAS Myoplex bars arent too bad a little bland but more MRP vitamin/mineral rich.

I know you work at H&B but give it a fuking rest :lol: :lol:

·
Getting HUGE!
1,193 Posts
zelobinksy said:

Do you like the taste of these? I find they taste like plastic, I regret buying 2 boxes now lol...

·
Ex-mod
4,744 Posts
Choc whey - as many scoops as you dare

Oats - poor in a load

Wholewheat self raising flour - quite a lot, but less than the oats

Sultanas / Raisins - loads

Eggs - 4 or 5, depending on how much of the above you added

milk - add enough to just make it all bind together

Sweetex or similar sweetner - to taste

Mix it up (hard work, proper stodgy), portion it out onto a lightly greased baking tray (will look all lumpy, kind of like rock cakes), bake on about 160 C until going brown. About 15 mins.

Can be frozen no problems.

Taste pretty damn good and not a whole lot wrong with them. Plenty of carbs, protein and fibre. :thumb:

Add in some smooth peanut butter if you're not dieting for a richer, smoother cake.

·
Looking Freaky
772 Posts
i'd go for a shake and oat cakes/fruit/nuts or whatever the situation required over bars every time. it works out far cheaper and has more nutrient density. bars are lazy and i would be suprised if they formed a part of the nutritional plan for any top Pros

·
UK-Muscle Sponsor
5,629 Posts
kaos_nw said:
arnt the CNP flapjacks made up of poor quality protein like hydrolysed collagen?
They use that to keep the bars together - all protein bars need something to keep the thing together, some bars use carbs (e.g. you'd use honey in home made ones), some use gelatine, collagen or other types of animal protein.

To be honest....the whole reason that Hydrolysed Collagen get's a bad rap on some boards is because it's not *that* highly bioavailable as a protein source...however...there are other benefits to it (aside from making the whole bar stick together).

Hydrolysed collagen is great for joint health (something anyone who lifts weights or engages in impact sports should appreciate), and this is bourne out by several studies. In fact, there's a thread over on MT from when we did a sale on CNP Flapjacks where at least one poster mentioned how his joints started to feel better simply because he'd eaten so many of them.

More info on Hydrolysed Collagen and joint health here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolyzed_collagen#Joint_.26_Bone_Health

·
Looking Freaky
6,469 Posts
Our Nutri Pro Bars have no gum, no collagen or gelatin. They are sweetened with fructose oil which also helps bind them and have a real chocolate coating which also helps holds them together.

·
Gym Addict
275 Posts
Why not buy protein powder, put a couple of heaps into a bowl, add a bit of butter, 1 raw egg (minus the yolk), a bit of coco powder. Place bowl over a saucepan of boiling water and just whisk it all together until it turns into a thick goo. Pour into something that is chocolate bar shaped and hey presto - high protein low carb choc bar. I tried this out last week and it works a treat!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.