UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

just seeing your thoughts on this training split for bulking. Please let me know what you think. Not sure if it’s too much training, and I should have more rest? Cheers!

PPL split twice per week PPLRPPLR

• All sets in 8-12 rep range
  • Chuck in drop set every so often
• SS stands for super set
• different exercises to target different parts on the muscle on alternating days

Legs 1

Squats x3
Leg press x3
Seated Leg extensions x3
Seated Leg curls x3

Push 1

Flat bench press x4
Shoulder press x4
Flat bench flys x3
Egyptian lat raises x3
Decline dumbbell press x3 SS plate rises
Front to side raises x3
V bar push down x3
Skull crushers x3
Kickbacks x3

Pull 1

Seated cable rows x3
Lat pull down hammer grip x3
Pullovers x3
Shrugs x5
Incline dumbbell curl x3
Hammer curl x3 SS wrist curls x3

Legs 2

Squat x3
RDL x3
Hip thrusts x3
Lunges x3

Push 2

Incline bench press x4
Arnold press x3
Dips x3
Dumbbell front raises x3
Cable crossovers x3 SS plate rises
Bent over lat raises x3
Rope pull down x3
Overhead extensions x3
Reverse grip pull down x3

Pull 2

Bent over barbell rows x3
Lat pull down wide grip x3
Reverse pec deck x3
Barbell rows x3
Shrugs x5
Preacher curls x3
Drag curls x3
Cable curls SS plate pinches

this does not include iso work for calves that will be additionally done.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
The balance seems a little off to me. 12 sets to cover your entire lower body but 29 sets for push. I follow the same split and have an equal number of working sets for each session (15), which suits me well. The push sessions look a bit overloaded and I can’t imagine the intensity being fantastic across 29 working sets. I feel like half of the sets would end up being junk volume with very little intensity which wouldn’t be contributing much towards growth. I know my triceps don’t need/couldn’t take 9 solid sets after I’ve already done good working sets on a compound movement for chest and shoulders. Same with biceps. You might be fine with it and obviously different volume works well for different people but that’s my take on it after skimming through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The balance seems a little off to me. 12 sets to cover your entire lower body but 29 sets for push. I follow the same split and have an equal number of working sets for each session (15), which suits me well. The push sessions look a bit overloaded and I can’t imagine the intensity being fantastic across 29 working sets. I feel like half of the sets would end up being junk volume with very little intensity which wouldn’t be contributing much towards growth. I know my triceps don’t need/couldn’t take 9 solid sets after I’ve already done good working sets on a compound movement for chest and shoulders. Same with biceps. You might be fine with it and obviously different volume works well for different people but that’s my take on it after skimming through.
wanted to get 10/12 sets per large muscle group as 20 sets I hear Is optimal and obviously will hit that muscle twice per week totalling the 20 sets. I hear you and to be honest is a hard day, additionally my triceps have always slightly lagged hence the 3 exercises at the end of a hard session. Not arguing with you of course just explaining my thought process. Do you think it’s too excessive? Cheers mate

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
wanted to get 10/12 sets per large muscle group as 20 sets I hear Is optimal and obviously will hit that muscle twice per week totalling the 20 sets. I hear you and to be honest is a hard day, additionally my triceps have always slightly lagged hence the 3 exercises at the end of a hard session. Not arguing with you of course just explaining my thought process. Do you think it’s too excessive? Cheers mate
As an example, for a push day, I’ll do 6 sets on chest, 6 on shoulders and 3 on triceps. 3 sets is enough for my triceps by that point as I’ve done 6 sets of very high effort pushing sets across chest/shoulders. I repeat that twice over the week. I’m growing well on this with ~15 years of training under my belt and 8 years enhanced. A lot of people will see it as low volume but I’m utilising every set well, so it feels like enough. But like I said, everybody is different and it might work well for you. Sometimes you’ve just got to try it. We’re at opposite ends of the spectrum volume wise, people will have preferences, people will grow more from one than the other, others will fall somewhere in between.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As an example, for a push day, I’ll do 6 sets on chest, 6 on shoulders and 3 on triceps. 3 sets is enough for my triceps by that point as I’ve done 6 sets of very high effort pushing sets across chest/shoulders. I repeat that twice over the week. I’m growing well on this with ~15 years of training under my belt and 8 years enhanced. A lot of people will see it as low volume but I’m utilising every set well, so it feels like enough. But like I said, everybody is different and it might work well for you. Sometimes you’ve just got to try it. We’re at opposite ends of the spectrum volume wise, people will have preferences, people will grow more from one than the other, others will fall somewhere in between.
Thank you for your reply, will see how it goes but am potentially gunna cut back on the volume and increase intensity, also less time in gym!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Few observations:

1 - as dtlb says the balance seems a little off. No programmed work for calves or abs doesn't make sense.

2- volume seems high in places. Can you recover from this much volume 6 days straight?

3 - why all the same rep range? Doesn't sound optimal or like smart training at all

4 - a lot of "fluff" moves (front raises, kick backs etc) which over little stimulus

5 - I'm more of a fan of fluctuating volumes IE. Week 1 - 2/3 working sets per exercise, week 2 - 3/4 working sets per exercise, week 3 - 3/4 working sets + intensifier on last set (drop set, cluster set, rest pause set etc) week 4 - deload

1 - 6 of 6 Posts