UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what type of diet I should be following, possibly because I'm now unsure what my goals are.

BB for only a few months now, started just working my abs for the elusive "Men's Health six pack", then discovered there was more to it than that and for the past 3 months been working my whole body. In that time I have had no consistent dieting strategy apart from 'cutting' body fat to reveal the abs. When I started I was about 21/22% BF, am now 14/15%. I'm 5' 9.5" (that 0.5 is very important :D ), 11st 5lbs (159lbs) and still have a stubborn layer of fat over the abs but you can see that I have them, and I can certainly feel them!

I think my goal now is to have a 'Classic' bodybuilder physique. My question is what sort of diet should I follow to support that? What sort of weight should I be aiming for? An overview of my current diet: Still trying to cut, about 2500 Kcal per day 10% carb/60% protein/30% fat, all pretty healthy stuff, but I've only been following that for about 3 weeks now, before that I was all over the place but still generally healthy.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

LD

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Well first decide what you want goal wise and stick to that. You have been cutting for three weeks and now want to bulk? your body is gonna be so confused :confused1: :)

Confusion can be a good thing and so can change, so if you want to bulk now, you 'may' risk adding on a little fat in your quest.

use this calc http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html to work out your caloric requirements, add 300 cals to this and increase in 200 cal increments weekly until you are gaining.

Buy some calipers from E-Bay (£10), use the body comp calc http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html and estimate your BF%, this will help your calculations for the caloric requirements calculator.

Use a routine of two workouts per week, focusing only on big compound movements, change the routine around every 4-6 weeks.

It sounds simple because it is, dont over complicate what is a simple process of training stimulus and repair.

Ratios on your diet 40/40/20 are fine, you can tweak these around on training and resting days as you can with your cals, but for now, keep it simple.

hth

SD

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply Doc.

It's since reading this site that I realised that I was probably following the wrong diet (and weight-training program). Mainstream magazines tend to focus on losing-fat and I've realised that this also hinders the acquisition of muscle and bulk: you may lose fat but you'll also be a skinny bugger to boot! So my thoughts are that I need to pack on a bit of mass before I 'cut' and the best way to do this is through a bulking diet and a progressive weight-training program focusing on the basic compound exercises. I really wanrted someone to say that I was doing the right thing or not as the case may be.

Cheers

LD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.