UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 608 Posts

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Hi All,

I am about to start on Wendlers 5/3/1 program.

I have been training on and off since I was 19, I am now 28, and have become very serious about my training over the last 3 years.

Prior to this I had been running a 5X5 routine for around 6 months, then previous to that I had stuck to more of a bodybuilding routine. I am natty, nothing against roids at all, just i have had liver and kidney problems in my teens and have to be checked regarding this, so dont want to risk it.

I run my first Wave of 5/3/1 in June, but have taken some time off since start of July as I got married to the girl of my dreams, had a honeymoon and unfortunately lost my father-in-law , so as you can imagine my priorities have been else where! I have managed to train once maybe twice a week in this period, but am trying to get back to 3 days a week. Whilst on my honeymoon I managed to injure my knee playing of all things - Volleyball, hardly the toughest sport!! It has been checked with the docs and I have been told nothing serious, although I was unable to walk for a week! So this is something I will need to consider when deadlifting and squatting but I'll see how it goes.

I am going to be following the Big but Boring Routine, with a few bits changed. If anyone is interested please feel free to leave any comments or tips!

MP

Military Press - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on)

Military Press - 5 sets of 10 reps

Dips - 5 sets of 10 reps

Deads

Deadlift - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on)

Deadlift - 5 sets of 10 reps

Chins - 5 sets of 10 reps

Bench

Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on)

Bench Press - 5 sets of 10 reps

Inc DB/BB Press - 5 sets of 10 reps

Squat

Squat - 3 sets of 5 reps (or whatever week you're on)

Squat - 5 sets of 10 reps

Leg Curl - 5 sets of 10 reps

Hanging Leg Raise - 5 sets of 15 reps

Wave 1 Training maxes (90% of 1rm)

Military press - 50kgs

Dealifts - 166kgs

Bench - 80kgs

Squats -126kgs

**************ALL WEIGHTS ARE IN KG'S *****************

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Tuesday 17th August

Military Press

Bar x 10

Bar x 10

40 x 5

40 x 5

45 x 8 - personal Rep recored for this wave so far!

Miliary Press (down sets)

30 x 10

30 x 8

25 x 8

25 x 8

30 x 8

Chins (Assisted pull up machine) (worth noting my weight at present is 100kg.

50 Resistance x 10

45 Resistance x 10

40 Resistance x 8

50 Resistance x 10

50 Resistance x 10

Thats it for today, first day back and it was tough!!!

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My back is still aching from Chins Tuesday, so have changed chins to Front and side lat raises to work more of the shoulder on MP days, which stands to reason, although Wendlers work out does have chins in on military press day but hey everyones different.

Looking forward to deads tonight although still a little concerned about my knee. Will see how it goes!

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
phys sam said:
Beat me to it, I see you didn't do the bicep curls lol
Yer i didnt have them in when i done my first wave, but thought i'd put them in this time. Will play it by ear tonight and see how it feels.

I have seen your journal on here for Wendlers, but havent been on for a while, how are you getting on with it??

·
Getting HUGE!
1,306 Posts
I changed to doing a bit of crossfit type stuff for 4 weeks before my holiday.

I was going with a guy who's into it and new he would challenge me on burpee/ pull up etc circuits as well as a few runs.

It was a good job I did. He murdered me as it was :)

I'm going to get back within a month when my training partner sorts his life out.

·
Getting HUGE!
1,306 Posts
The triumvarate gives assistance work, but then thats a different routine.

I think y9ou should stick to one or the other like he advises. At least that way you can be consistent for a period of time and monitor results.

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thursday 19th August.

Deadlifts

5 mins Warm up on the X trainer.

3 mins stretching

Deadlifts

70 x 5 Warm up

70 x 5 Warm up

125 x 5

135 x 5

145 x 5 (could have got a few more out of this but my knee felt a bit strained)

Deadlifts (down sets)

80 x 10

70 x 10

70 x 10

70 x 10

70 x 10

At this point my back was fried, it was still aching from chins on tuesday, hence why i have changed them to back day. Left chins and done some curls

20 x 30

30 x 10

30 x 10

Medicine Ball Sit-ups

Felt nakered after this, been keeping rest to 2 minutes if that. Will be interesting next session as will have the chins in with it, that will be a real killer.

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Sunday 22nd August

Warm up - X-trainers

Stretching

Bench

40 x 5 Warm up

40 x 5 Warm up

60 x 5

65 x 5

70 x 10 (Rep record for this wave)

Bench (down sets)

Flat

50 x 10

50 x 10

Incline

50 x 10

50 x 8 (no spotter miss last two)

50 x 8 (no spotter miss last two)

Dips (assisted knee rest - weight is the assistance used)

40 x 10

40 x 10

40 x 10

40 x 10

35 x 10

Felt good after this, bit disappointed that I didn't make the last two on the bench down sets, but that will come, first chest training for this cycle, so not worried, was pleased with my rep record. I have had a problem with benching since injuring my shoulder at the end of last year, which meant me having to drop a lot of weight from my bench. But this has improved in the last couple of months. Want to be up to 100kg bench by spring/summer next year.

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Tuesday 24th August

5 mins Warm up - X-trainer

Stretching

Squats

Bar x 10 Warm up

60 x 5 Warm up

85 x 5

90 x 5

95 x 6 (could have got a few more on this but didnt want to risk agrevating my knee first week back, will step it up next week)

Leg Press

100 x 10

100 x 10

100 x 10

100 x 10

130 x 10

Hanging Leg Raises

Very happy with tonights work out, all i wanted to do was do the main lift and get the prescribed reps, i managed to get one more on the last one, and also managed to do some assistance work. Seeing as a few weeks ago i couldnt even walk, im quite pleased with that. Will keep progressing on the squats slowly for time being, but progressing never the less!

·
Getting HUGE!
1,602 Posts
I think if your doing your main exercise, for the prescribed amounts. You aint meant to do the 10 rep stuff with the same exercise, or what is the point lol. your meant to the follow the exercises percentages he suggests, then do 'assistance' exercises. Not just repeat them with a lower weight.

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are if your doing the Big But Boring work out mate, have a read of the book. You do 5/3/1 for the Main exercise, followed by 5 x 10 reps at about 40%-50% of your working max of the main exercise again, then another assistance exercise. Give it a go, you'll notice the point after a few cycles, its a killer!!

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i thought the same when i read the book, whats the point?

So i did the Triumvirate, which is as you said, the main exercise 5/3/1 then two assistance exercises for 5x10, which was great. But after reading a few interviews with Wendler, he says the best way to increase size and strength is to do the Big but Boring workout and drink a gallon of full fat milk a day plus your normal meals! Doing the first part, struggling a little with the 2nd, but getting enough protein from other foods etc

The ebook is well worth the £12 or whatever it is at the Elite FTS website

·
Eat, Sleep, Train
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thursday 26th August

Military Press

5 mins x trainer

Stretch

Military Press

Bar x 5

Bar x 6

40 x 3

45 x 3

45 x 10 - Rep record.

Military Press (down sets)

30 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

Dips (assisted knee rest - weight is the assistance used)

40 x 10

40 x 10

40 x 10

35 x 10

30 x 10

Done - Enjoyed tonight's work out, the big but boring work out isn't actually that boring, the 5x10 of the main exercise are a killer and quite a challenge!

My bench and shoulder press has never been a strong point, I had an injury to my shoulder a year or so ago which has always niggled, however I feel im progressing on my presses now.

1 - 20 of 608 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.