UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
EFBB Winner
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh f'in joy!

Clusters of speed cameras that will monitor drivers' average speed on all routes across a wide area are to be deployed on hundreds of roads next year.

It will be impossible to evade detection because the digital cameras will cover every entry and exit point and, unlike the earlier speed cameras, will never run out of film.

Drivers who slow down briefly or who make a detour from the main route will still be caught because up to 50 of the cameras will work together in a network. They can be positioned more than 15 miles apart and will automatically read numberplates and transmit data instantly to a penalty processing centre.

Existing average-speed cameras cover a maximum of six miles, work in pairs and have to be connected by a cable, so their installation is costly and time-consuming. Drivers can also escape detection by turning off the route between the cameras.

Police trials of the new cameras have concluded successfully in London and a second set of trials will finish this week in Northern Ireland. The Home Office is expected to approve the technology by the end of January and the first fines are likely to be issued by next summer.

Jim Fitzpatrick, the Road Safety Minister, said yesterday that the new cameras would bring significant safety benefits as well as reduce congestion by making traffic flow more smoothly. "When the Home Office approves the equipment, I think there will be great interest among the safety-camera partnerships. They will give a more sophisticated edge to cameras than the blunt instrument we have at the moment."

Mr Fitzpatrick said that existing pairs of average speed cameras, which are mainly used to enforce temporary speed limits through roadworks, had already demonstrated the value of monitoring speed over a long distance rather than a few yards. "Wherever there are average-speed camera signs, the traffic moves at a uniform pace. Congestion reduces and accidents reduce."

On the M1 the number of casualties halved after average-speed cameras were introduced on a contraflow between junctions 6a and 10.

Compliance tends to be very high: a pair of cameras on the M4 between junctions 10 and 12 issues only one penalty for every 10,000 drivers.

The new cameras, known as Specs3, will cost typically £300,000 per network. They are likely to be deployed first on long rural A roads, where crashes occur frequently but in many different places, making it impractical to deploy conventional speed cameras, which each cover less than 100 yards of road.

Several local authorities are also planning to use Specs3 to enforce 20mph limits on networks of residential roads. Transport for London has already carried out trials of the technology in Camden, North London, and found that speed-limit compliance rose sharply despite there being no fines issued.

The Association of British Drivers, which campaigns against speed cameras, said that Specs3 could cause drivers to lose concentration. Brian Gregory, a founder member, said: "People put the car in cruise control and the mind in neutral. It's so boring driving through these sections at a constant slow speed that people are going to drop off."

·
Getting HUGE!
1,896 Posts
theyve been out several years....

solution:

when you see the first one drive past it, then pull over, have a coffee/cigarette, wait 30 minutes..

then you can drive the rest of the journey at 140mph without fear of getting tagged

·
Pest!
2,417 Posts
It's fcking money making again. Speed cameras should be introduced where there has been a reasonable amount of accidents due to speed. So if thats the case the whole motorway is a hot spot. It's annoys me, as these things make money, put them outside schools etc to prevent speeding not to catch people out on the way home from work!

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
These have been out for a while. Clarkson told everyone how to beat them..

Once you enter the "zone" all you have to do is exit the zone in another lane. Simple. You can go as fast as you like. :)

The police know about this fundamental flaw, but asks motorists not to take advantage of it. Yeah right, of course not Mr. Plod! :rolleyes:

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
Although it's "cool" to give the whole "bastard government money making scheme" speech, they have had average speed cameras on the A14 (Cambridge area) for a couple of years now. Since having them, journey times seem to have improved, and many people who take this route in and out of work are making better progress. So there is some mileage in this approach for that reason at least.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
big said:
Although it's "cool" to give the whole "bastard government money making scheme" speech, they have had average speed cameras on the A14 (Cambridge area) for a couple of years now. Since having them, journey times seem to have improved, and many people who take this route in and out of work are making better progress. So there is some mileage in this approach for that reason at least.
How would you explain the efficient german autobahn then with it's lack of big brother speed camera garbage?

I got robbed by speed cameras for such garbage as doing 34 in a 30 zone by a school AT 1AM.

They are unquestionably money making scams.

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
ba baracuss said:
How would you explain the efficient german autobahn then with it's lack of big brother speed camera garbage?
Probably fewer cars and more road - who knows. Or maybe the German driving tuition is superior to ours. Could be lots of explanations.

All I know is that I've driven down the A14 many times, and it's much, much quicker to get to my destination(s) now that there are average speed cameras.

·
Pest!
2,417 Posts
big said:
Probably fewer cars and more road - who knows. Or maybe the German driving tuition is superior to ours. Could be lots of explanations.

All I know is that I've driven down the A14 many times, and it's much, much quicker to get to my destination(s) now that there are average speed cameras.
Thats incorrect, there are easily as many cars on the autobahns as our motorways. With regards to German driving, it's a bit full on to be fair, lane changing in and out is common place,flashing drivers to move is also common place as is tail gateing. However i agree with your more road statement, the lay out of autobahns is so much better than what we have here, you would think our goverment would follow there steps. Im all for speed cameras to save lives, but IMO there is to much money making involved, you only have to remember instances of police having unmarked speed camera vans, and esspecially in London where some cameras are hiden behind bridges.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
big said:

But what makes you think it's the speed cameras that are the reason, chief?

Surely traffic going slower=more congestion, no?

YoungGun said:
Im all for speed cameras to save lives, but IMO there is to much money making involved, you only have to remember instances of police having unmarked speed camera vans, and esspecially in London where some cameras are hiden behind bridges.
Quite.

I recently saw 3 coppers all standing around while one of them stood behind a bridge with a hand held speedgun recently.

What a bunch of sneaky [email protected], who could have been doing some proper policing instead of watching their mate try to catch out unsuspecting motorists who pay their wages.

·
Discomfort is growth
5,970 Posts
Sylar said:
These have been out for a while. Clarkson told everyone how to beat them..

Once you enter the "zone" all you have to do is exit the zone in another lane. Simple. You can go as fast as you like. :)

The police know about this fundamental flaw, but asks motorists not to take advantage of it. Yeah right, of course not Mr. Plod! :rolleyes:
Yeah I tried that and no tickets, :thumb:

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
ba baracuss said:
But what makes you think it's the speed cameras that are the reason, chief?

Surely traffic going slower=more congestion, no?
No, quite the opposite. Traffic is a phenomina and is explained by the ripple effect. Someone slowing at a higher speed (e.g. for junctions or because the car in front has slowed) will make more of an impact on cars behind, causing them to slow more heavily and eventually, even though the guy at the front has slowed from 80 down to 70, the ripple at the back causes cars to slow down to standstill. Have you ever sat in a slow moving queue of traffic on the motorway?.... you're not moving at 5mph because there's a c0ck at the front of the queue doing 5mph with nothing in front of him... it's because of the ripple effect.

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
YoungGun said:
Thats incorrect, there are easily as many cars on the autobahns as our motorways. With regards to German driving, it's a bit full on to be fair, lane changing in and out is common place,flashing drivers to move is also common place as is tail gateing. However i agree with your more road statement, the lay out of autobahns is so much better than what we have here, you would think our goverment would follow there steps. Im all for speed cameras to save lives, but IMO there is to much money making involved, you only have to remember instances of police having unmarked speed camera vans, and esspecially in London where some cameras are hiden behind bridges.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that speed cameras save lives per se - although government statistics do back that up - but let's face it, statistics can be massaged easily enough.

All I'm saying is that the introduction of average speed cameras has caused a reduction in traffic congestion on the A14 around Cambridge. That's fact, because I've seen it happen.

At the end of the day, if you don't want them to make money off of you, simply don't speed. It's not rocket science. It's like you're complaining about the price of a non-essential product, but buying it anyway :)

BTW, having done a quick google search, autobahns are just as badly seen in terms of traffic problems. An autobahn traffic jam is known as a "stau", and according to the BBC website "Staus can be really big and German autobahns can soon become the world's longest car parks". And according to other sites: "Every day there are traffic jams on the autobahns in the Rhine-Ruhr region" etc etc etc. So possibly the autobahns are far from spot-on either.

·
Live in the Now
3,130 Posts
big said:
At the end of the day, if you don't want them to make money off of you, simply don't speed. It's not rocket science.
lol have you ever tried doing 20mph

I find at 30mph my concentration starts to lapse, so would prettymuch assume accidents due to people falling asleep, not paying attention will increase.

Wether the ones caused by speeding will outway that we will see (well we prolly wont because they wouldnt tell us)

Dont know about you guys but i quite fancy having some form of riot, not really to prove any particular point other than to say - you govern for the people, we put you there--so therfore do what the majority wants.

we can form a coalition and start rioting on other issues and put this fking country straight!

i nominate Robsta as Leader! :bounce:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.