UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
hi, ive been training about 7 months, i started at 12stone, sorted out my diet and jumped up to 14/14.5stone although for the past couple of months i dont feel like im getting anywhere. My current split is

monday/back/biceps

- 5x8 latpull down

- 3x8 bent over db rows

- 3x10/12 wide grip cable rows

- 3x8 pull overs/lat machine(dont know the exact name of it)

- 3x8 bicep bb curls

- every couple of weeks ill do 3x8 of deadlifts

tuesday/calves

- 7xfailure calf raises

- 2xfailure dropset raises

weds/shoulders

- 5x8 db shoulder press

- 4x8 side lat raises

- 3x8 rear lat raises

- 3x8 front lat raises

- 4x10 shrugs

- 4x8 tricep isolation(varies)

friday/legs

- 7x12 leg press

- 2xfailure dropset leg press

- 3x12 lunges

- 3x12 leg ext.

- 4x12 leg curl

sat/chest

- 4x8 incline db press

- 2x8 flat db press

- 3x8 incline db flys

- 3x10 dips

diet is pretty good aswell. im currently on about 300g of protein a day/ 250g carbs/ probably about 30 or 40g of fat

is there anything i can anything i change with my workout or convience foods i can add to my diet to get things kick started again. im probably being abit impatient but anything i can do to now which will help in the future would be great

cheers, jake

·
Team Weeman(TM)
1,848 Posts
That all seems pretty set in stone, do you do the same thing every week?

When was the last time you changed your routine, upped your cals, altered your rep range/tempo... etc etc

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do the same thing every week pretty much, i cant suss out what else i can do really, incline db flys worked nicely for a while but i think my body is getting used to doing them now. i also changed from doing 10 to 8 reps for upper body and 15 to 12reps for my legs about 3 months ago and the only thing i have changed with my diet is reducing carbs by about 100g

cheers

·
Team Weeman(TM)
1,848 Posts
Why not switch your training style, the body is an adaption machine mate you need to keep fighting it and tricking it... There are always the fortunate exceptions to this but IMO drop the number of days your training per week, drop the volume in the workout and up the intensity... Give it a try for a few weeks

Have a look at the 5x5 type routines for some idea's :)

·
Gym Addict
238 Posts
jake87 said:
i do the same thing every week pretty much, i cant suss out what else i can do really, incline db flys worked nicely for a while but i think my body is getting used to doing them now. i also changed from doing 10 to 8 reps for upper body and 15 to 12reps for my legs about 3 months ago and the only thing i have changed with my diet is reducing carbs by about 100g

cheers
Then thats your problem body's are very adaptive things they get bored you need to shake things up and keep it guessing. There are loads of good training programs on the web have a look around.

As for diet, your macro/calorie requirements they are vastly different now your 14 stone than they where at 12 stone.. if you've stopped gaining it's because you need more food.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for the reply,

i dont do calves on leg day because by the end of it the shift i can just about hobble along and dont have the energy to do it and the gym is only a few minutes away from me so going there on a tuesday to do them is no problem. i do 7 sets of leg press because it seem about the max i can usually do at full weight, ive usually gone to failure on the last two of three sets. i thought someone was going to mention squats, we dont have a squat rack, just a smithy and in the past found it abit naff to use it for squats.

as for deadlifts im not sure why i only do it every other week to be honest with you. now you mention it maybe i should do them every week again

·
Unleash the beast.
1,584 Posts
If your natural then thats way too much training in a week, your body needs time to rest and grow! :thumb:

Try 3 times a week if natty mate IMO,

Ive had 17 years of natty training with loads of different routines.

·
Gym Addict
238 Posts
jake87 said:
cheers for the reply,

i dont do calves on leg day because by the end of it the shift i can just about hobble along and dont have the energy to do it and the gym is only a few minutes away from me so going there on a tuesday to do them is no problem. i do 7 sets of leg press because it seem about the max i can usually do at full weight, ive usually gone to failure on the last two of three sets. i thought someone was going to mention squats, we dont have a squat rack, just a smithy and in the past found it abit naff to use it for squats.

as for deadlifts im not sure why i only do it every other week to be honest with you. now you mention it maybe i should do them every week again
you have the energy for 7 sets of leg press.. but no calve raises??? couldn't you just trade a few sets of one for the other??

As for squats there are loads of ways of doing them without a squat rack, Try bulgarian split squats with dumbbells, Sumo Squats or plain olde Dumbell squats or Single leg squats also work just grab yourself some straps to lash them things to your arms haha.

Granted it ain't perfect but it's better than ignoring one of the single most important exercises. Failing that get yourself another gym i wouldn't enroll in a gym without a squat rack!!

·
Unleash the beast.
1,584 Posts
Try some thing like,

Monday Back/Biceps

Wed Legs/Triceps

Fri Chest/Shoulders.

This one I used for many years just moving it around a little every couple of months.

Mon Chest/shoulders

Wed Back/Biceps

Fri Legs/Triceps.

·
Banned
2,503 Posts
If there isnt a squat rack/power cage etc either change gym or learn olympic lifts , but im pretty sure if your gym doesnt have a squat rack there going to think WTF is he doing and probably ask you to leave :D

If your a natural then you really do need to squat (releases/increases testosterone) and do other compound movements, nothing looks more silly than a guy with fairly big arms and no thickness to his body and no mass on his legs

Also less is often more, looks like far to much workload from my point of view

Look into strength training, if size is what your after dont be worried by strength training, because with strength and a ton of food comes size.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha, i keep asking them to get a squat rack but its not going to happen. so the long and short of it is - change my routine/gym and reduce the workload. i'll do abit of research into strength training or 5x5 and see where it lands me. soulkeeper, i always felt that legs should be given their own day but maybe ill split it up abit with strength training

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.