UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of these gym companies are there now? There could be one coming to my area called The Gym. I know of Nuffield's and heard of Everlast?

Most gyms in my area are individually owned and most are for bodybuilding with some cardio machines.

Can I please ask what are the national gym companies in the UK now and what are your thoughts on these gyms. Do they have all equipment to cater for bodybuilders or are they more keep fit, cross fit and cardio? Do you prefer them or an individually owned gym?

Thanks!

·
Looking Freaky
2,544 Posts
Trained at the gym group once , never again ! Dumbells only go up to 30kgs. Not really suited for bodybuilders I spoke to the manager he said it’s deliberate as they don’t want to attract huge muscular men apparently . Anyway I go to snap fitness , great gym have everything I need and dumbells go up to 60kgs . It’s a worldwide chain gym , my key card can access any of them . I believe 24/7 fitness is global also . But personally I dont think you can beat a good old spit and saw dust gyms, atmosphere is great and equipment usually very decent so much better than todays commercial equipment . I trained at these for years until I moved and sadly there isn’t any around part from ones that are miles away

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trained at the gym group once , never again ! Dumbells only go up to 30kgs. Not really suited for bodybuilders I spoke to the manager he said it’s deliberate as they don’t want to attract huge muscular men apparently . Anyway I go to snap fitness , great gym have everything I need and dumbells go up to 60kgs . It’s a worldwide chain gym , my key card can access any of them . I believe 24/7 fitness is global also . But personally I dont think you can beat a good old spit and saw dust gyms, atmosphere is great and equipment usually very decent so much better than todays commercial equipment . I trained at these for years until I moved and sadly there isn’t any around part from ones that are miles away
Great reply, I heard the dumbells weren't that heavy at The Gym. Thanks for what the manager said. Snap Fitness, never heard of them, I'll be looking them up. Worldwide, reminds me of Snap On tools, they are great too. I agree, the old style gyms are the best, now I know what The Gym is going to be...

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
I train at Pure gym, nation wide company.
Always clean, good , good equipment, 2 squat racks, a 4 bay crossfit style wall rack , leg press, Smith machine, fixed fat bench , about 10 adjustable- movable benches, dumbells upto 50 kg ,not that many people at pure need them. It varies from location to location, but the one i use is weights downstairs and cardio upstairs,
Small but clean showers/ changing rooms.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
I always used to train at chain gyms as I lived in central London, I've been training at Muscleworks since I moved in March and it's a night and day difference. The equipment is MUCH older but feels much higher quality and the machines hit the right muscles and just feel much better than techno gym / matrix stuff. Much better selection of machines too.

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I train at Pure gym, nation wide company.
Always clean, good , good equipment, 2 squat racks, a 4 bay crossfit style wall rack , leg press, Smith machine, fixed fat bench , about 10 adjustable- movable benches, dumbells upto 50 kg ,not that many people at pure need them. It varies from location to location, but the one i use is weights downstairs and cardio upstairs,
Small but clean showers/ changing rooms.
Thanks, sounds good. Just interested because apart from Nuffield's and I think Everlast that have been brought in on a council facility, the gyms are all individually owned. All good too, always spending on the gym's to make them better.

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always used to train at chain gyms as I lived in central London, I've been training at Muscleworks since I moved in March and it's a night and day difference. The equipment is MUCH older but feels much higher quality and the machines hit the right muscles and just feel much better than techno gym / matrix stuff. Much better selection of machines too.
Thanks Doc. You have mentioned two more gym companies I didn't know and agree about the older machines. I'll be googling all the gyms named in the responses to see what we are missing out on up north.... But Boris is levelling up.. 😏

·
Gym Addict
1,215 Posts
Local is a Snap Fitness 24/7, dumbbells 50kg, 2 squat racks, hack squat etc. Independent nearby is diabolical with no reinvestment for 20 years, rubbish hours for the way we all work & demand nowadays & charges £15 a month more than Snap. Some very experienced bodybuilders seem happy at Snap but I get the impression they do use several gyms in the area as well, maybe they pay a day rate each time or just want change of scenery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I used to go to 'the gym' (excellent branding) a few years back. It was cheap as chips and as a result was always super busy.

Last gym I was at was a fitness space, it was newly opened and I got a special deal as I was on the early sign ups. From what I recall the dumbells didn't go too heavy in weights so maybe not what you're looking for.

Currently I go to anytime fitness which is ok but a gym's a gym I guess. I can't speak for the other gyms in the chain as I've never been to either but I'd imagine a similar set up.

I don't really lift weights that heavy anyway so not really an issue or deal breaker for me but if that is the case then I'd probably look for something more niche/sole trader etc.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
The only thing these commercial gyms like the gym, pure etc are good for is they're 24/7 if needed in emergency. They're absolutely terrible otherwise.
I'd never purposely train at one, unless my gym Was shut and I had to train as something is better than nothing.
It's rediculous to max out dumbells at 50kg, they're light as ****, the machines are too light or feel extremely akward and I hate the rubbery flooring and the cunts that walk around on it

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Local is a Snap Fitness 24/7, dumbbells 50kg, 2 squat racks, hack squat etc. Independent nearby is diabolical with no reinvestment for 20 years, rubbish hours for the way we all work & demand nowadays & charges £15 a month more than Snap. Some very experienced bodybuilders seem happy at Snap but I get the impression they do use several gyms in the area as well, maybe they pay a day rate each time or just want change of scenery.
Thanks for that, what you said about the independent, probably was the case with a lot but now they have to keep updating to keep their custom. That is one thing the National Gyms have done, created competition!

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I used to go to 'the gym' (excellent branding) a few years back. It was cheap as chips and as a result was always super busy.

Last gym I was at was a fitness space, it was newly opened and I got a special deal as I was on the early sign ups. From what I recall the dumbells didn't go too heavy in weights so maybe not what you're looking for.

Currently I go to anytime fitness which is ok but a gym's a gym I guess. I can't speak for the other gyms in the chain as I've never been to either but I'd imagine a similar set up.

I don't really lift weights that heavy anyway so not really an issue or deal breaker for me but if that is the case then I'd probably look for something more niche/sole trader etc.
Thanks for the reply, it is interesting all these gyms, like I said Nuffield's is it in my area, all the rest are individually owned. There is Everlast but not sure about that one.

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing these commercial gyms like the gym, pure etc are good for is they're 24/7 if needed in emergency. They're absolutely terrible otherwise.
I'd never purposely train at one, unless my gym Was shut and I had to train as something is better than nothing.
It's rediculous to max out dumbells at 50kg, they're light as ****, the machines are too light or feel extremely akward and I hate the rubbery flooring and the cunts that walk around on it
Thanks for that. Obviously the aren't for everyone and like you have pointed out and said too above by another poster, they seem to not want the heavy lifters. Cheers.

·
Looking Freaky
2,544 Posts
Pretty much yes , never liked any of them personally , the only one I have found that is remotely decent is snap fitness , equipment isn’t great but they do ok weight wise . But as you say being 24 hours makes them more convenient

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Pretty much yes , never liked any of them personally , the only one I have found that is remotely decent is snap fitness , equipment isn’t great but they do ok weight wise . But as you say being 24 hours makes them more convenient
I know you are a strong lad aswell mate does the dumbells not annoy you only going to that weight?
I rarely use barbell anymore so it's a big deal, if it wasn't for that it wouldn't be as much of an issue

·
Looking Freaky
2,544 Posts
I know you are a strong lad aswell mate does the dumbells not annoy you only going to that weight?
I rarely use barbell anymore so it's a big deal, if it wasn't for that it wouldn't be as much of an issue
Yes it does annoy me mate , rarely use dumbbell anymore for any pressing apart from flies can pretty much shoulder press the 55s so not much point trying to progress over load on bench work . Mostly heavy moments done on a bar . It actually come to the point I was taking duct tape to the gym with me to tape on extra plates to the dumbells , gave up with that in the end as it took far to long putting on and taking off , then there is the stares.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts