UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gym Addict
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saying hi but im guessing you get a gazillion of these a day so I wont take up too much of your time.

I am just getting back into lifting wieghts ( tho last time I was a complete amature and made my own routine ect up but I did get massive shoulders and firm arms )

because basically im bored and fedup feeling weak :( . I have a couple small problems to deal with ( my right knees goosed and probably needs an operation but I will find out in a week or 2, and im recieving physio on my back....apparently the right side the middle back muscles are abnormally huge, compensating after a car crash i was in for injured muscles at the side )

Anyhow, I feel its about time I pulled my finger out and got back to some sort of routine before its too late.

As im sure you can imagine running, swimming, cycling ect is out of the question for cardio, is there anything else I could be doing? My first thought was a punch bag or something but I am limited for space and the wife declined lol.....

Also any tips at all are greatly appreciated :)

Ohh forgot, Im 28, 6 2 and about 220lbs ( wee bit of a beer belly but nothing major and no other fat lol )

Cheers,

Bert

·
Gym Addict
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, been basically housebound sitting on my backside for 8 weeks due to my knee.....and with a 1 year old and selling our house, planning a newbuild ect ect I have been neglecting myself of recent ( but then theres always a way to justify to yourself isnt there )

I cant wait to get back to feeling strong again, it was a great feeling and you felt like people looked at you different when you past them in the street, did dealings at work ect ect ( and I dont think the wife minded much either lol )

Nevermind, at least I have kept my size pritty much, I just need to tone now and loose the gut a bit :)

I have seen various ( stupidly expensive ) supliments available for training, I used to just use a spoon of honey for energy before I trained and drank a LOT ( sometimes 3 litres )of water during and the rest was natural. I didnt even really take much notice of dieting either ( I know I know ) Are any of these supliments worth it? ( not that I have any money with a wife and kid just curious lol )

·
Is famine-resistant :P
1,052 Posts
Hi mate, and welcome :)

Supps are useful, but not essential if you eat right (I don't, lol)

As for cardio, you can turn anything into cardio really. If your knee's caned, how about using low weight but vigorous reps on anything else? I.e, benching with a naked bar, curling, anything that gets your heart rate up. There is also that hand-crank machine (unsure what the correct name is). Have you seen a physio to see what can be done in your current state? You say that swimming is out the question, but there are floatation aids that will keep your legs still while your arms do the work. Hope this helps :)

·
Gym Addict
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hobbio, I never even thought to ask my physio to be honest, she always puts me into too much pain to talk hahaha

I will ask on tuesday what I can do, she has given me an excercise.... it moves my right shoulder blade down about 2cm 6 times repeated 3 times and im in absolute agony for the rest of the day but to be honest I actually like the pain.... it reminds me I have muscles there to hurt and its working :)

Floatation aids is a good idea as well, I used to be a very strong swimmer :)

would a chest expander on a low tension setting ( the rubber band style cheap ones ) be good for cardio do you recon?

·
Is famine-resistant :P
1,052 Posts
I like muscle pain too lol, thought I was the only one....

No idea about the chest expander really, can you get enough of a rhythm up to get out of breath? The idea is to get your heart rate up so anything that does this should be golden. I do know that chest expanders are usually ridiculed on here though... :lol:

Defo take the advice of your physio, but swimming with a flotation aid sounds like the way forward to me, esp if you are already a gifted swimmer.

In a bit mate :)

·
Gym Addict
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, I didnt buy it as a chest expander, I bought it to try and help my back muscles after the crash gently ;) - I can get out of breath with it if I try....( just tried ) but it needs to be on the max settling :| --- another quality tesco value product :D

I dont use any gym equipment since I quit offshore except dumbells and push up handles - tho I cant do real pushups because my kneecap cant take it I put my knees on the bed on loads of pillows and just push up that way :) .... I refuse to give up even tho my body is lol

Thanks for the advice hobbio, been looking about the site, theres some good info :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.