UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Peanut Butter Monster
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been training mainly with compounds for a few months, sticking to the madcow routine and had good gains, ive put this routine together with the hope of still gaining size by mainly doin the biglifts,

(mon)

bench 5x5

rows 5x5

barbell curls 2xfailure

(wed)

squats 5x5

weighted chins 5x5

calf raise 3x20

(fri)

stnding ohp 5x5

Deads 5x5

close grip bench 2xfailure

i plan to eat big, and garndually increase the weights each week, not sure wether to keep the weights the same thru the 5x5?? or work up to my heavy set 5? any thoughts???

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Aha, the old 'shall I save some gas for the final set' question. Answer is no, you either work a muscle or you don't each time you do not push yourself on a set, its pretty much wasted. Go for a good weight each time aiming to fail on the 5th rep, if you have more in you, do another! don't stop as you have reached your target rep range.

This is the problem with multiple sets of the same reps as inevitably you run out of juice on the 4th and 5th set so end up doing 4,3 or even 2 reps and occasionally you feel super strong on the first set and do 8 or something completely throwing you off.

Just push that iron till you cant safely perform another rep, dont get too obsessed with reps, aim for five but a few either way wont hurt in the long run, your muscle only knows if its worked or not, when you reach at least 5 on all 5 sets, then increase the weight, simple :thumb:

hth

SD

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
IMO...

Start with a 5x5 weight that you can do fairly comfortably. Many a muscle has been built with volume without failure. Increase the weight each session until you stall.... then deload, and repeat.

·
5,868 Posts
big said:
IMO...

Start with a 5x5 weight that you can do fairly comfortably. Many a muscle has been built with volume without failure. Increase the weight each session until you stall.... then deload, and repeat.
Hiya Big, if what you were saying were true for everyone, then guys who dig roads or hump bricks would look like bodybuilders possibly? Not the ones I see cued up at the burger van but I guess thats all down to diet I suppose :wink:

Failure ensures that all the muscles motor units have been utilised as they fire in a sequence, do not exhaust them all long term and get sub standard results, results yes but not your potential, depends on your goals I suppose.

Can you explain to those of us (me) who havent swallowed a Bbing slang dictionary what you mean by 'Stall' (stop improving?) 'deload' (reduce the weight?) 'repeat' do the same again?

SD

·
EFBB Winner
3,208 Posts
Stick with one weight for all 5 sets.

If one week you only manage 23/25 total reps, then next week make sure you make 24 or 25.

Its a good thing to follow 5 x 5 and it has worked wonders for my strength,

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
SportDr said:
Hiya Big, if what you were saying were true for everyone, then guys who dig roads or hump bricks would look like bodybuilders possibly? Not the ones I see cued up at the burger van but I guess thats all down to diet I suppose :wink:

Failure ensures that all the muscles motor units have been utilised as they fire in a sequence, do not exhaust them all long term and get sub standard results, results yes but not your potential, depends on your goals I suppose.

Can you explain to those of us (me) who havent swallowed a Bbing slang dictionary what you mean by 'Stall' (stop improving?) 'deload' (reduce the weight?) 'repeat' do the same again?

SD
It is probably largely down to diet, and the fact that they are lifting such sub-maximal weights all of the time. Rest assured though, the average guy doing a physical job does have more muscle mass than the average guy doing office work. Probably FAR more in fact. Granted they may have a healthy layer of burger-fat covering it... but the lean mass is there too nonetheless, compared to the office worker who does nothing.

When you say lifting to failure ensures all muscles motor units are utilised, I presume you mean beyond positive failure, and to negative failure? After all - some fibers must still be there and firing if you can lower the weight. Either way, most people quit way before any muscular failure definition. Let's face it, if you had just "failed", and someone put a gun to your mother's head and told you to lift that weight again or they'd fire... I'm pretty darn sure you'd magically find some non-exhausted motor units in there somewhere to lift that weight.

Oly lifters are a good example. And pretty much any eastern bloc powerlifter. Almost all are using Prilepin's table to pick their intensity and volume, and this is FAR from failure, with a hell of a lot of examples (100+ lifts per session with average intensity around 70% of 1RM). Look at any that are making a weight class... they have visible muscle in places many "1 set to failure" guys didn't know exists :) Take any powerlifter who has subsequently cut up for BBing... he normally cleans up on stage.

Even on the bodybuilding stage, most of the mass has been built using sub-maximal volume lifting rather than "always go to failure" principles.

And if what you're saying is completely true, we'd better let sprinters, swimmers and other athletes know that their 2-3 hour twice-a-day training sessions are futile, and they should instead swim until they can't move their arms anymore in a single sprint :) (Tongue in cheek of course)

Failure has it's place... but IMO not every session, or you are trashing your CNS. You are right that your body fires fibers in a sequence, but I would be certain that people are giving up at cardiovascular, or CNS failure, as opposed to true muscular failure.

But if you've found your niche and going to failure every set gives you far superior results than volume not to failure, keep going with it.

Stall = stop progressing

Deload = drop the weight back and start ramping up again

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
It's probably also worth pointing out that the flaw in the "how come manual workers don't look like bodybuilders" chestnut is that there are at least as many blokes in gyms across the country who also don't look like bodybuilders, despite lifting to failure :)

·
UKMEDI.CO.UK
4,709 Posts
big said:
IMO...

pfft, you keep posting what I'm going to say!

·
Peanut Butter Monster
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for the replys lads been very helpfull, ive tried BIG'S 'how to grow' few months ago and i saw goodresults so il use teh same method and program with my routine, i.e volume stage delode etc, any changes that i need to make to my routine? the routine i have is so basic simply cus i naw train at home and have 400kg+ ov weights and my bench and power rack so its free eight basics, which im my opinion is the best :thumb:

·
5,868 Posts
big said:
It's probably also worth pointing out that the flaw in the "how come manual workers don't look like bodybuilders" chestnut is that there are at least as many blokes in gyms across the country who also don't look like bodybuilders, despite lifting to failure :)
Ha ha, I love that Big man, I have missed the forum :thumbup1:

SD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.