UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gym Addict
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I was reading here and there low volume high intensity stuff, and I wanted to write my own schedule for next 2-3 months.

My Stats:
Male 42 years old
180cm x 81Kg bodyfat 12-13%
Training history 10 years more or less, with high (few) and low (many). Now I just have finished a 3 months with high volume, high frequency and moderate intensity (Dr. Mike Israetel RP style), and reading Paul Carter and some Jordan Peters article, I was trying to plan an HIT training.

Split:
Day1 Chest, Shoulders & Tri's
Day2 Back & Bi's
Day3 Off or cardio steady state 20-30’ + 10000 steps
Day4 Legs A or B
Day5 Off or cardio steady state 20-30’ + 10000 steps
Day6 Repeat
Day7 Rest
and so on…

Chest, Shoulders & Tri's
Incline chest press top-set 1x6-8, back off 1x10-12
Flat chest press top-set 1x8-10
Flys 2x8-10
Y-raise SS Upright row 2x12-15
Push Press 1x8-10
CGBP 1x 3/50 method

Back & Bi's
Chin Up top-set 1x6-8, back off 1x10-12
Barbell row top-set 1x8-10, back off 1x10-12
DB row 2x8-10
Pause Shrug 2x8-10
Front plate 4x8 cluster set
BB Curl 1x3/50

Legs A
Leg curl 2x8-10
Squat top-set 1x6-8, back off 1x10-12
Leg Extension 2xrest-pause
Lunge 1x100 leg
Standing calf press 2xrest-pause

Legs B
Leg curl 2x8-10
Front Squat top-set 1x10-12, back off 1x12-15
Leg Extension 2xrest-pause
Sissy Squat 4xfailure
Standing calf press 2xrest-pause

All sets at failure

What do you think about?

Thanks!

·
DNP on cruises crew
12,937 Posts
I see a lot of exercises with 2 sets. Defeats the purpose of HIT, no? HIT is all about one working set to "true" muscular failure.

·
Gym Addict
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see a lot of exercises with 2 sets. Defeats the purpose of HIT, no? HIT is all about one working set to "true" muscular failure.
Hi nWo,

Yes you are right, but I’m working out in home gym, and I can’t go to true muscular failure, then I have thought to add a backoff set for compound exercise.

·
DNP on cruises crew
12,937 Posts
Hi nWo,

Yes you are right, but I’m working out in home gym, and I can’t go to true muscular failure, then I have thought to add a backoff set for compound exercise.
The idea is to train to failure and then go "beyond" failure using "intensity techniques" e.g. dropsets, forced reps with a partner, rest-pause, cheat reps, partials etc. Take your pick. If you can't train to true muscular failure i.e. RPE-10 for safety reasons, then it's not HIT and you'll be undertraining for lack of total volume.

·
Gym Addict
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The idea is to train to failure and then go "beyond" failure using "intensity techniques" e.g. dropsets, forced reps with a partner, rest-pause, cheat reps, partials etc. Take your pick. If you can't train to true muscular failure i.e. RPE-10 for safety reasons, then it's not HIT and you'll be undertraining for lack of total volume.
On bench and squat, for safety reasons, I could tell a RIR-1, but the other exercises are all at RIR-0 for sure.

Could you think it’s still lack of volume?

In HIT, should be the intensity the main driver, not volume, am I right?

Thanks nWo.

·
DNP on cruises crew
12,937 Posts
In HIT, should be the intensity the main driver, not volume, am I right?
Yes, absolutely. If you're going to do just one working set then it needs to be to all out failure and then "beyond" to make up for the lack of volume. So if you can't take that approach on a particular exercise, just stick to something else more volume-based on that exercise or use a substitute exercise.

·
Gym Addict
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, absolutely. If you're going to do just one working set then it needs to be to all out failure and then "beyond" to make up for the lack of volume. So if you can't take that approach on a particular exercise, just stick to something else more volume-based on that exercise or use a substitute exercise.
For bench and squat I'm going to do 2 set:
1st top set in rest-pause mode
2nd backoff to failure (squat I was thinking about a widowmaker like doggcrapp).

For accesories I'm going to failure in every set (I can handle it).

Thanks @nWo

·
Gym Addict
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I worked legs and today I can barely walk, it was a long time ago that I felt DOMS.

Since I have begun this style of training, my body weight is going down, this week I had to increase calories to 3400. Body measures remain the same so I'm not losing muscle (cross fingers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts