UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Getting HUGE!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quick scan through everyone elses breakfasts and i think mine looks awful after reading all of yours.

Im a shift worker so breakfast time is very random (4:30am, 10am, or 2pm. Depending what shift im on) I get about 15-20 minutes to make and eat breakfast.

Current breakfast

20g Protein shake

Bowl of start

Cup of tea

Im very picky with my food (Which is probably why im pretty skinny)

I dont really like anything with nuts in it, dont like a massive selection of fruit and veg. And i dont get a very regular meal pattern as it would mean i cook myself a meal from scratch after every shift, which after an 8 hour shift, a lot of the time, i just dont feel like doing.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Shaun

·
i love cabbage...
1,385 Posts
yep...that's a pretty ****ty breakfast all right.

here's mine:

4 whole egss scrambled on an omlette pan = 24g protein

3 turkey rashers = 18g protein

300ml of skimmed milk = 15g protein.

that's 57g of protein ...and very quick and easy to make. scrambled eggs takes about 4 mins. the turkey rashers are grilled for 3mins as per pack instructions :) i'm on low carbs hence the lack of porridge.

another great addition to breakfast is low fat natural yogurt. get a big 500ml tub and add some fruit. this will give you 25g of protein and very easy to get into you.

hope this helps :)

·
"Our Keith's miles bigger than you"
3,176 Posts
I work nights.

Shifts must be hard.

For breakfast I have:

4 slices wholemeal toast: 24g protein 80g carbs, 400 cals

4 boiled eggs: 24g protein 280 cals

1 tin of beans (low sugar/salt) 22g protein 40g carbs 400 cals.

70g protein, 120g carbs, 1080 cals, total.

You could half it if you couldn't manage all that and just throw in a protein shake.

All cooked in 10 mins.

·
EFBB Winner
4,222 Posts
Mine couldn't be much simpler, or quicker.

500ml full milk

100g fine oats

50g reflex instant whey

5g glutamine

banana

3x fish oils, 2 x glucosamine, 2 x multi vits, 1 x digestive enzyme

About 1000 cals, 75g protein, 75g low gi carbs.

Bung it all in a shaker, takes about 2mins to prepare, 5mins to consume and you're set to go :thumbup1:

·
i love cabbage...
1,385 Posts
suliktribal said:
I work nights.

Shifts must be hard.

For breakfast I have:

4 slices wholemeal toast: 24g protein 80g carbs, 400 cals

4 boiled eggs: 24g protein 280 cals

1 tin of beans (low sugar/salt) 22g protein 40g carbs 400 cals.

70g protein, 120g carbs, 1080 cals, total.

You could half it if you couldn't manage all that and just throw in a protein shake.

All cooked in 10 mins.
mate 4 slices of wholewheat toast doesn't give you 24g of protein. at least not the bread i've used. check that out.

any protein from the bread and beans is not a complete protein and in my opinion, u shouldn't count incomplete proteins towards your total protein count unless there are multiple sources.

but that's just me

·
knowledge is power
106 Posts
i have

70 grams of oats with water

2 scoops of myofusion and a scoop of waxyvol

100ml of orange juice

does the job a treat of and a teaspoon of splender on my oats

·
"Our Keith's miles bigger than you"
3,176 Posts
coflex said:
mate 4 slices of wholewheat toast doesn't give you 24g of protein. at least not the bread i've used. check that out.

any protein from the bread and beans is not a complete protein and in my opinion, u shouldn't count incomplete proteins towards your total protein count unless there are multiple sources.

but that's just me
Allinson wholemeal.

5.9g per slice, so, 23.6g per 4 if you want to be pedantic.

I've heard this "not whole protein" thing before. But with the eggs, bread and beans you've got 3 different sources.

Also, with protein shakes and meat/fish/poultry through the day, it doesn't matter.

·
Optimum nutrition Rep
10,834 Posts
ure breakfast is utter terrible. in 15 mins you can make an omelte and oats/weetabix or pancakes or a protein shake woith milk/oats/olive oil in.

theres no excuse for poor eating

·
Getting HUGE!
1,602 Posts
coflex said:

but that's just me
If your protein sources are varied enough, you can get away with doing it. And can supplement with amino's anyways

·
Its ANCHORMAN not anchorlady
1,145 Posts
swap the start for porridge with a little honey in and you have a decent breakfast......IMO..... :)

Oh, and add a little more protein in your shake, if you can add some olive oil or udo's oil in as well......

·
Optimum nutrition Rep
10,834 Posts
Will101 said:
I thought Chicken eggs were about 12g of protein which would push up the protein levels of some of these breakfasts? Only a good thing though!
as far as im aware a whole egg has 7g protein in and an egg white has 4

·
http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/member-journals-picture
1,272 Posts
Hello mate, here are 2 decent articles from a blue collar shift worker with respect to diet:. Hope it helps:

I work 12-hour rotating shifts as I am sure many of you do. It is difficult to get the food intake if you're working a tough schedule. So how do you prepare? Many have asked me so I am going to put it in writing for all to see.

First, you need a minimum of one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight regardless if you are trying to gain or lose. To gain or lose weight, simply adjust your carbs. I won't elaborate here as I am certain you already know this or can find this info elsewhere on Animalpak.com.

What I like to do is prepare for 2-3 days worth of eating, ahead of time. I will cook 2 big steaks and 12-15 baked chicken breasts or thighs. I will then boil a large amount of rice for my carbs. Sometimes I will mash up a bunch of potatoes.

I leave for work sometimes at 430am so eating a big meal isn't usually on my agenda at this hour. So before I leave work everyday, I take one Animal Pak along with 2 scoops of Universal's LAVA with skim milk. I am getting around 50 grams of protein right off the bat, along with a day's supply of vitamins and minerals, all this before I have even left my home.

On the way to work, I suck down some coffee to get me ready for the day. Most of us shift workers get 3 breaks a day, or can at least find time to have 3 quick meals on a long shift (you have to make the time). I treat my first break, around 800am, as breakfast. I eat 3 hard-boiled eggs, some fruit, and often times bring in whole grain cereal and skim milk (another 40 grams of protein, bringing us up to 90 or so before 9am).

Now for lunch I can have 2-3 chicken breasts, frozen vegetables, and rice. I like to drink diet soda with my meal. If I am gaining, I will have a dessert here as well, and if not, at least some rice cakes topped with cinnamon and Equal (another 50 grams of protein here bringing us up to 140).

For afternoon break I usually repeat the lunch meal, or will substitute the chicken for steak (50 more grams-we are up to 190 grams). When I get home, it is time for another meal. This one a bit smaller as it is a pre-workout meal: one chicken breast, lots of rice, and one scoop of skim milk with Universal's Ultra Iso Whey for another 50 grams (up to 240 for the day thus far).

After the workout, its time for one more scoop of the whey protein with skim, a small meal of chicken, veggies, and usually a few rice cakes. Or I'll treat myself to a low fat dessert. I watch some TV or relax and drink Crystal Light or diet soda.

Now the night shift routine is a bit different. I treat my first break on night shifts (800pm) as my biggest meal, usually steak, rice, veggies, small low cal desert or fruit and diet soda. The second meal is a chicken and rice meal. Now you have to be careful with the third meal. The human body processes food super slowly past 2-3 am until 6-8am, so even though I'm hungry, this is not the time to eat a huge meal.

I usually have 2 hard-boiled eggs and a granola bar here. I get home around 700am and have a typical breakfast of 3 eggs, whole wheat toast with jam, and either oatmeal or grits. I finish it off with one scoop of LAVA with skim milk. When I get up, I start my meals all over again. I always make sure I get 250 grams of protein minimum daily, along with 1-2 Animal Paks, 4 scoops of LAVA or Ultra Iso Whey, 10grams each of glutamine and creatine. With a little planning, this will all become routine for you. You can be a blue collar guy and still get great gains in the gym. To reiterate, you must follow these three steps:

1. Plan your meals ahead of time

2. Take the right supplements and have them ready (for example, Animal Paks, whey, creatine and

glutamine)

3. Plan your sleep times and workouts accordingly

·
http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/member-journals-picture
1,272 Posts
The reason I'm writing this second part is to recap a few points made in my previous article and to emphasize a few new ones. Plus I discovered a few new recipes/supplement tricks to make my busy life a whole lot easier. I am setting up my plan for a minimum of 250 grams of protein--adjust as needed. You should try to get one gram per pound of bodyweight daily, minimum. Keep in mind you can only absorb around 30-35 grams per meal. Granted some of my meals are over that but a bit of "shotgunning" is not a bad thing… The body will get what it needs.

Supplements

Let's talk about supplements first. This is one of the keys to success for a shift worker. Here is a list of what you need:

Animal Pak

It's a staple. It all starts here. Every single Animal takes these. We all differ as to the other supplements we take slightly, but ALL of us take the Animal Pak. Use one every day and two per day on your real heavy training cycles. It gives you what you need in a simple packet or "pack". I take mine first thing in the morning; it is part of my routine. Without the proper vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, you won't get premium results, regardless of how hard you train.

Whey Protein

I just started taking Ultra Iso Whey. I was looking for a high quality protein source that mixes easily with a spoon in water, tastes great, and is affordable. Not asking for too much am I? I found my answer in Ultra Iso Whey. I tried the Lemonade flavor and was BLOWN AWAY. Delivers as promised--mixes with a spoon in water, no sticking to the sides of the glass, no gassy feeling after, and tastes like lemonade. I use two scoops in 16 oz of water. You can bring the can to work, and all you need is water, spoon, and a glass. Man, too easy…

Post-Workout Drink

Let's call this the "Animal Shake". It all started at the most recent Arnold Classic in The Cage. The guys busted out a case of Animal Nitro G, and we basically drank it up in no time. This stuff tastes like Kool Aid and mixes very easily as well. Take this directly after your workout, before your post workout protein shake. It gives you what your body needs, essential aminos (including BCAAs), and some fast acting carbs. My pal Mazz lectured to a large audience on diet at The Cage, saying how the body will absorb some carbs post workout like a sponge. After this, I take LAVA.

Post-Workout Shake

I like LAVA. It's got a one to one ratio of protein and carbs along with creatine and glutamine. I mix my LAVA with skim milk. The taste is superb and it mixes easy. Creatine and glutamine are rapidly absorbed.

Animal Nitro

Animal Nitro is like Nitro G except without the carbs. It comes in easy to swallow capsules in a packet. I use 2-3 per day, spread out--instant source of key essential aminos when you don't have time to take a break.

Diet

OK, don't get me wrong… I consider myself far from lazy, but it makes my life a whole lot smoother when I can eat foods that are easy to prepare, do you hear me? So, with that in mind, here is a fabulous diet that I've used-it's easy to follow and inexpensive. Plus, it tastes good. And most importantly, it works.

Morning Wakeup

One Animal Pak with 12 oz. of orange juice. This gets me rolling every morning. I follow this up with two scoops of Ultra Iso Whey Lemonade in water.

Meal #1, Drive To Work

One English muffin, with one fried egg (fried in Pam) and one piece of American cheese (fat-free). I sometimes I add jelly to the mix. On my drive to work I eat the muffin and enjoy a cup of coffee as well.

Meal #2, 8:00am

The night before, I either hard boil 4 eggs, or get up a bit early and scramble four eggs. I have this with one cup of quick one-minute oatmeal which I also made the night before and two slices of whole wheat toast with preserves or jelly. I then consume one pack of Animal Nitro.

Meal #3, 10:00am

Now I don't often get another break until noon. If I get a 10:00am break, I will have yogurt, a bagel, and one scoop of Ultra Iso Whey. I make up for this later though.

Meal #4, 12:00pm

Two chicken breasts with BBQ sauce, cooked on the trusty Foreman Grill (so easy to prepare). Also, the night before, I cook a whole bag of brown rice (cooks in 5 minutes). I divide it into 3 servings, and have one of them here. I also throw some veggies in here as well--usually frozen peas or a mixture. This meal also includes one diet soda, any low-cal type desert, yogurt with berries or a real low-fat sponge cake.

Meal #5, 3:00pm

Same as Meal #2, plus I include a pack of Animal Nitro.

Meal #6, 7:00pm

Supper: Steak or lean hamburger, 1 or 2 servings of rice and fresh ground black pepper. I fry the steak in Pam, and use heavy spices, usually Montreal rub. I throw in some more diet pop or Crystal Light here, and a salad with fat-free dressing or veggies. At 7:30pm, I'll work out.

Meal #7, 9:00pm

Post workout nutrition. Animal Nitro G drink followed 15 minutes later with LAVA.

Meal #8, 10:00pm

My last meal of the day. I usually have some whole grain cereal here (Cheerios etc., with skim). Along with plenty of water. I also take a pack of Animal Nitro and one scoop of Ultra Iso Whey. My alternate meal here consists of one small can tuna on whole wheat with fat free Miracle whip, a small serving of Wheat Thins or rice plus one scoop of Ultra Iso Whey.

Note: he is an AnimalPak sponsored athlete which is why is is promoting their supps every 2 sentences lol

·
That's me on the right.
314 Posts
goonerton said:
My usual

100g oats

50 g nutrisport 90+ choc

1 banana

bowl of boiling water

blender

honey to taste

Roughly 60g protein, 100g carbs
Fvck me, you eat a blender for breakfast?

What do you have at christmas? A dishwasher? :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.