UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

recently turned 21, I'm single and a couple of my mates fancy getting a place..

House, flat, apartment it doesn't really matter..

Whatever suits us best when viewing will be the choice...

We are all in employment and financially capable to make this step..

Just be a couple years I guess so we can enjoy ourselves a little more without our parents being 'dissapointed' when a hungover girl leaves the house after a night out...and just to make more epic memories before we have to grow the **** up!

So 3 lads sharing accomodation, something nice.. Not a palace but not a **** tip! Just a lads pad basically..

How much per month approx (many variables I know) should it cost each lad for the bills and rent? Not including food.. Just stuff like elec,gas,sky etc..

Reps given to any help ;)

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
It all depends on the area your wanting, where i live now i could probably get a 2/3 bedroom flat for £60-100 p/w.

As for gas/elec depends on your provider and how much you actually use, for me my elec would be sky high...always have pc downloading (600w psu lol, debated 1000w but bit over the top).

Why dont you contact your local housing agency, tell them your wanting a 3 bedroom house/flat with your friends. They'll be able to give you the low down on costs on everything.

Good luck, i'm wanting a flat myself ! :D

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers pal, yeah it is kinda hard, prices round here seem a little lower than average..

Will be contacting an agency to get the full low down at some point soon, would just be cool to have a rough idea..

·
I hated every minute of training, but I said, don&
2,900 Posts
Depending on the quality of the place and how many your sharing with expect to pay from £200 - £400 if its a great place. I got a tip dont be the one who does the bills let someone else do that and just pay em your share every month :)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I'd be very cautious as to who you'll be sharing a house with. It can really ruin a friendship. It's a bit like a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship, all is ok until you live together.

I would suggest you first find out how much disposable income each of you currently have and work out how much could go towards rent, utility bills food etc. Also,setup a direct debit that goes into one account from each of your account to pay for everything. this avoids any kind of awkwardness about asking any individuals who haven't paid their share.

I'm not too sure how much flat/houses go for rent in your area but in london, you're looking at around £800 minimum for a 3 bed...

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my mates is an estate agent so hopefully he will hook us up with something competitive.. And the bill payment good advice! One lad has already been nominated as billpayer, he is a footballer so always got a few k in the current account! So covered there :)

·
I hated every minute of training, but I said, don&
2,900 Posts
bassmonster said:
I'd be very cautious as to who you'll be sharing a house with. It can really ruin a friendship. It's a bit like a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship, all is ok until you live together.

I would suggest you first find out how much disposable income each of you currently have and work out how much could go towards rent, utility bills food etc. Also,setup a direct debit that goes into one account from each of your account to pay for everything. this avoids any kind of awkwardness about asking any individuals who haven't paid their share.

I'm not too sure how much flat/houses go for rent in your area but in london, you're looking at around £800 minimum for a 3 bed...
Expect a few arguments once the honeymoon peroid is over between the lot of you from cleaning, to cooking I've had em all :rolleyes:

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a pretty tidy dude to be fair so don't mind house cleaning be a case of make a mess tidy it up unless it's in your room then do what you like.. We are good mates known them both over ten year.. One lad will definately be a handful but me n my mate will keep him in line :)

·
EFBB Winner
4,431 Posts
\ said:
Expect a few arguments once the honeymoon peroid is over between the lot of you from cleaning, to cooking I've had em all :rolleyes:
Hahaha! I refuse to clean anyone elses sh!t up in the house now as they're all messy cvnts! I cook my own food, then clean up the mess straight away. Only be a matter of time before I snap at someone too. Copped a wobbly last month when some cvnt finished off my low fat cheese! Pretty sure it was my mates girlfriend too, and I'm too polite to headbutt a girl.

·
Putting the yummy back into the mummy
1,483 Posts
Off the top of my head you'll need to pay for:

Council Tax - £130pm ish (obv depends on size of house and when you move in)

Gas/Elec - £100+pm (depends how much stuff you have and how good you are at turning lights off!)

Water - £40pm ish (depends if meter, size of house, baths/shower, how wasteful etc)

TV Licence - £12pm ish

Phone/TV/BBand - £20 to £80 a month depending on package/speed etc

and you may want to consider contents insurance especially if you have a lot of gadgets etc, can get about £30k worth of cover for about £90 a year.

·
http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/member-journals-picture
1,272 Posts
dunno about prices in notts, but when i was at uni in manchester i lived with 5 lads. friendship got as solid as ever, apart from with one [email protected] but he was a [email protected] from day 1 so it doesnt matter lol.

the thing i noticed was that no matter how much we tried the kitchen and communal areas were a sh1t tip! now that may not always be the case with everyone, but we were very lazy, and seeing as we were all training hard we were all cooking about 3-4 times a day each at different times so you can imagine how bad the tiny kitchen must have got and how quickly the bin must have filled up!

seeing as you chaps are all earning and not still students i would DEFO recommend you invest in getting a cleaner round maybe twice a week for 2 hours a hit. They usually charge £6-8 per hour. So thats £24-32 per week, which is only £8-11 per person per week; a small price to may IMO for decent hygeine....also note that the cleaner the place, the more often nice girls would want to come back and get ravaged by your good selves:whistling:

we had a 6th floor flat in manchester that overlooked the city. floor to ceiling window looking outta the kitchen overlooking the city lights. perfect location for 3am sexy time while your mid-night meat and veg are cooking on the george foreman grill:thumb:. Rent was only about £90 per week including bills. Mind you that was student accomodation though...we jsut got lucky with the view.

G

·
Apart from the expenses think about the following

1 -Cleaning - who will vaccume carpets, clean bogs , kitchen , bedrooms, dust ect

2- Cooking - nice home cooked mums meals you can not beat

3- Washing - not just clothes bedsheets, pillow cases- the lot

4- Ironing

5- Shopping

and dont think about doing a roster that never freaking works

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers guys and repped as promised :)

yummymummy, thats very helpful cheers!!

I think it seems to be the case of having about £350 each a month to pay off rent and bills etc.. then obviously that doesn't include food!

The two lads I am moving in with are a good pair of lads so we will try and keep on top of cleaning and stuff, but it shouldnt be too bad as I work 7.30am - 4.30 pm so will only cook meals at the weekend, and just have pasta at evenings etc..

But due to us all training and having the same sort of goals we will probably make massive pastas and live off them in the evenings for a few nights!

I personally am never in, the other two lads are similiar, working and training etc..

Some decently priced properties around where we live, gave my mate an estate agent a text to see whether he can meet us over a pint to chat stuff over incase there may be problems etc..

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
I don't live in Notts anymore but my mate assures me prices are similar there...

I know that for my mates, a 3 bed house costs around £1100-£1400 per month to run, including all rent and bills but not food. This is assuming you'll have internet and cable/Sky :D

I have a flat and it's about the same, so I'd be looking at around £400 a month, to start.

A friend also warned me that for some things (TV licence etc) they like you to prepay a certain amount, used to go for electricity and stuff to, so budget for an extra month or twos bills the first month, just to make sure.

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers beklet!

quite helpful! yeah will have to be prepared for advances in utility bills etc as well as a deposit..

I can get saving, I will probably sell my car and run something more economical and cheaper on insurance as this would probably free up a fair amount of cash to go towards the move..

·
Gym Addict
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha romper! Infact I'm sure you are right, might just buy paper plates and one dish...

microwave, pour on paper plate, clean dish and then throw away plate...

nah i dont mind washing the pots in the evening after work, but we will try and implement a cook and wash system wherby you clean the pots immediately if possible...

·
Real men eat Pork Scratchings for protein!! 49.5g
646 Posts
I don't think a deposit had been mentioned yet. Normally a month or twos rent. If you all chip in for that and one of you ****s something up, expect to lose your money for their mistake.

What about furniture etc? You would surprised at the things you take for granted at home but will need when you have your own place. Anything from kitchen utensils to bed linen etc etc.

Good luck with it though and have some fun before life gets too serious. :)

G

·
Good luck with it though and have some fun before life gets too serious.
yes - have fun and nail the thongs of the sluts to your bedroom doors- always good for a laugh ;o)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.