UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
Joined
·
6,981 Posts
So i was getting a bit excited doing one of my fav exercises, SLDL off a step! And i prob went a tad to low and felt a twinge in my hammie, thought it was ok, tried one or 2 more BUT NOPE, clearly not!!

Hobbled around for a day or 2 and then pain went and i have been feeling ok! HOWEVER, what did i find when i was just laying in bed tonight.. BRUISES yes thats right starting to appear over the exact area when i had the pain, SO clearly i did tear some of the fibres of i think my semitendinosus or semimembranosus (hamstring muscles) :(

photo196j1ax2.jpg


SUCKS :(

Its not sore but i know i need to be very careful!!

Has anyone else kinda "discovered" and injury etc they didnt think they had sustained???
 

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
Joined
·
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm yes, it feels ok but i know if i push it i could end up tearing it a whole lot worse!! Ill just try some low key hammie work on monday and see how it feels!!
 

·
fat ginger
Joined
·
11,441 Posts
you pm'd me earlier and told me you were tucking into some chips and gravy,are you sure thats not just stains from the drips of gravy?

lolol only kidding bc,ouch,dont envy you,have a ham injury myself as well,its doing my head in.
 

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
Joined
·
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weeman said:
you pm'd me earlier and told me you were tucking into some chips and gravy,are you sure thats not just stains from the drips of gravy? .
Na those stains were on the shorts that i took off to take the pic haha :whistling:

weeman said:
lolol only kidding bc,ouch,dont envy you,have a ham injury myself as well,its doing my head in.
yea im hoping it kinda looks worse than it is tbh hahaha..........more like hoping and praying its not bad AT ALL so i can train them on monday but i think i just need to take it easy as!
 

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
Joined
·
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nytol said:
You should not have to stretch that deep doing SLDL, (Romanian DL), for hamstrings that you need to do them off a step, if doing them correctly.
but to get any kinda stretch/work happening in my hammies i have to cause otherwise the bar/weights just touch the floor???????????????
 

·
Discomfort is growth
Joined
·
5,970 Posts
MissBC said:
but to get any kinda stretch/work happening in my hammies i have to cause otherwise the bar/weights just touch the floor???????????????
Unless you are very short, keeping the arch in the lower back, and sticking your bum out as you descend, so you take the lower back out of it as much as possible, should keep the hamstrings tight in even very flexible people.

A bit like this

 

·
Gobby
Joined
·
10,535 Posts
MissBC said:
but to get any kinda stretch/work happening in my hammies i have to cause otherwise the bar/weights just touch the floor???????????????
Use smaller plates - I use 10kg plates on the bar so they don't quite touch the floor - I'm very short so if I used the 15 or 20kg plates I'd have to use a step

Nytol said:
Unless you are very short, keeping the arch in the lower back, and sticking your bum out as you descend, so you take the lower back out of it as much as possible, should keep the hamstrings tight in even very flexible people.

A bit like this

^^^^

I do stretch right down on the warm up, but not when I'm going heavy - I don't like using a step anyway because I have to bend down too far to pick the bar up...
 

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
Joined
·
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beklet said:
Use smaller plates - I use 10kg plates on the bar so they don't quite touch the floor - I'm very short so if I used the 15 or 20kg plates I'd have to use a step...
I do babe and still touches :(

Beklet said:
I do stretch right down on the warm up, but not when I'm going heavy - I don't like using a step anyway because I have to bend down too far to pick the bar up...
thats why you do it in the rack so you dont have to pick it up from the floor????
 

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
Joined
·
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DB said:
ouch! didnt take u long to injury yourself :D
i know, just got a bit excited and went straight back into the mindset of when i was training a year ago!!! Should have just started off a little slower i think!! my fault
 

·
UK-Muscle Moderator
Joined
·
15,472 Posts
I do stretch right down on the warm up, but not when I'm going heavy - I don't like using a step anyway because I have to bend down too far to pick the bar up...
Pick the bar up and then get on the step?

I find if i stick my **** right out i can use 20 plates and it still doesnt need to touch the floor..

saying that my hammy's are seriously short
 

·
Gobby
Joined
·
10,535 Posts
MissBC said:
I do babe and still touches :(

thats why you do it in the rack so you dont have to pick it up from the floor????
Nah no point.....besides it means I'd have to do them with my **** facing out into the gym - no thanks! :eek:

DB said:
Pick the bar up and then get on the step?

I find if i stick my **** right out i can use 20 plates and it still doesnt need to touch the floor..

saying that my hammy's are seriously short
The step only takes 150kg anyway, and though I'm not on 80kg SLDL yet, I'll just keep sticking my **** out :lol:

My hamstrings are very short too, but then so are my legs, hence the 10's :D
 

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
Joined
·
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nytol said:
My point exactly.
yea but as he said after he has very short hamstrings so its different, not everyone has the standard, written, this is how it should be textbook flexibility Nytol!!
 

·
Discomfort is growth
Joined
·
5,970 Posts
MissBC said:
yea but as he said after he has very short hamstrings so its different, not everyone has the standard, written, this is how it should be textbook flexibility Nytol!!
Not sure I understand???

I do not have short hams and my plates do not touch the floor, my training partner James L is only 5'4 and he does them correctly, and the 20kg plates do not touch the floor, so I stand by my original comment.

Also, is it not you with the self inflicted injury?

Not really the best time to try and argue a point about your exercise form :whistling:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top