UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On DB's advice :cursing: I went to a private car park today and proceeded to practise wheelies on my FZ1.

Now I couldnt pull them using acceleration alone so I decided to do clutch wheelies.

I did a few bad ones then the wheel started to come up it was amazing!!

After three succesful runs I couldnt do it any more :confused1: worked out the reason was the clutch wasn't biting any more...

I rode up the rode and each time I gave it some gas, the clutch slipped..yike!

My question is, is this because the clutch has overheated? or does anyone think I have done permanent damage? Do you think I would be able to do a warranty claim and say it just started withour cause or will it be obvious when they open up the clutch cover? Is it an expensive fix?

I dont really blame DB btw, I just like poking at him now and again so he feels noticed :tongue:

Thanks for any advice (even DB's :whistling: ) :thumb:

SD

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
oh dear....

guess what yamaha's weak spot is.....

Clutch.....

try a warranty claim but I think you will end up paying for a new set of plates.... How much it costs nowadays? no idea....

·
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slamdog said:
oh dear....

guess what yamaha's weak spot is.....

Clutch.....

try a warranty claim but I think you will end up paying for a new set of plates.... How much it costs nowadays? no idea....
Uggg, you think its dead and not just overheated or something then? I think I am gonna cry :crying:

Thanks for the reply mate

SD

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
they don't tend to just overheat.. they just die...

happened on the old exups, the fz's, fzr's, the r1's.. in fact, pretty much any yam bigger than 400cc built after 1990...

the other one to watch at this time of year on yams is front caliper seizing.. a sniff of salt and they clog up...

·
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slamdog said:
they don't tend to just overheat.. they just die...

happened on the old exups, the fz's, fzr's, the r1's.. in fact, pretty much any yam bigger than 400cc built after 1990...

the other one to watch at this time of year on yams is front caliper seizing.. a sniff of salt and they clog up...
Will keep an eye on the caliper mate, I am an all weather biker so thats a good tip. Having the brakes serviced on Saturday next anyway.

·
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dan-mel said:
Should just need some new plates, they shoudn't be too much. (around £50) Thats if you fit them yourself.
Hope they are that cheap! and I couldnt fit them myself, I know nothing about mechanics lol.

Will try for a warranty claim if the bike is still slipping tomorrow, fingers crossed.

SD

·
Newbie Trainer
47 Posts
You should be able to wheelie in first and second off the power, no problem. It's an FZ1 right? so it's a 1000cc bike with straight bars? E-Z, P-Z.

Clutch ups are for third gear, starting at 60/70 mph. Or for 0mph first gear, slow speed, high lift wheelies (Don't try these yet!!)

Learn in second gear first and control it off the throttle before slipping the clutch. You could try practicing wheeling up a hill, not on the flat to build your confidence.

Or you could always buy a wheelie switch to stop you flipping it.

·
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
950SM said:
You should be able to wheelie in first and second off the power, no problem. It's an FZ1 right? so it's a 1000cc bike with straight bars? E-Z, P-Z. Yep thats the one!

Clutch ups are for third gear, starting at 60/70 mph. Or for 0mph first gear, slow speed, high lift wheelies (Don't try these yet!!) Oop thats exactly what I was doing, it was working too!

Learn in second gear first and control it off the throttle before slipping the clutch. You could try practicing wheeling up a hill, not on the flat to build your confidence. This is a great idea, will try this.

Or you could always buy a wheelie switch to stop you flipping it. Never heard of this? will do a search.
Thanks for your advice matey, reps.

SD

·
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DB said:
LOL!!!!

clutch plates is all u need and they go for about £40 from busters for heavy duty EBC ones dude takes an hour to fit tops :D
Does that mean you are gonna come fit them for me fella? will feed you a couple of protein shakes to keep you strong :thumb:

Will go for EBC or OEM, hopefully it will either be fixed tomorrow or will be under warranty.

Thanks

SD

·
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slamdog said:
ebc are as good as any other...

they are not hard to fit, it takes longer to strip the fairings off normally....
Hmm clutch cover, isnt covered by fairing so that should be ok. It s awet clutch so would have to drain oil, not a problem there.

I havent a clue about how to get the plates out or how to put them back in, sure there is some special tool I would need.

SD

·
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow forgot about this thread! Thanks for your help Slamdog, I took it to a mechanic eventually as it was slipping so bad, all the plates were burned and the metal plates that are in there were warped, result= total rebuild! Cost nearly £400 :cursing: expensive wheelie session that was!!

SD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts