UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
UKMEDI.CO.UK
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes that is right, mastICATION!

Following on from a thread about protein shakes and how real food is superior because of mastication and your body then being ready to take all the nutrients etc on board - does this mean that if I were to chew chewing gum before a shake it would be better for me? How much mastication is required? Do I need to masticate per gulp or is once per shake enough??

:)

·
Getting HUGE!
2,072 Posts
Food isn't superior because of chewing. It's superior because it has a better and more varied nutritional profile.

Saliva is mainly water and the chief role of chewing is to form a bolus and to start the break down of fats and carbohydrates. I don't know what thread you're referring to but someones writing cuckoo posts. Absorption of nutrients takes place in the stomach and small intestine. The nutrients will get there as meant to and in the appropriately broken down form. Chewing is a very minimal part of the process of nutrient consumption.

·
The Good...
8,794 Posts
Robbie said:

Following on from a thread about protein shakes and how real food is superior because of mastication and your body then being ready to take all the nutrients etc on board - does this mean that if I were to chew chewing gum before a shake it would be better for me? How much mastication is required? Do I need to masticate per gulp or is once per shake enough??

mastication helps the body breakdown and assimilate nutrients quicker than it would if you gulped your food down.

aswell as that thorough mastication can help prevent digestion problems such as bloating and flatulence.

For optimal digestion and assimilation of nutrients I have seen a number of people recommend Digestive Enzymes and a Pro-biotic. If I remember correctly Hacks is someone that always recommends pro biotics.

·
EFBB Winner
3,996 Posts
if i'm correct,been a while....but chewing is the beginning process of digestion...helping in the moistening of foods...enzymes are released from your saliva as well which includes amylase...also the salivary glands secrete salivary lipase for the start phase of fat digestion!!!

so whatever the thread was about i dont believe it would be saying about chewing gum...because chewing gum will only trick your stomach into releasing enzymes,chime,pepsin etc etc....when in fact no nutrients are being passed...so this idea of chewing gum before a shake is to be honest the funniest thing i have heard...i know bodybuilding is a science as such...but common sense is key here!!!!

dont mean to sound like i'm taking the pee,but i'd be shocked if i see this mentioned anywhere else about chewing gum...i know there are some chewing gums are good for after eating,clean the teeth a touch,and chewing gum can cause stomach aches,even diarrhea because of the amount of sweeteners it contains such as sorbitol,mannitol and maltitol etc...even cause bloating and wind in some...

i know some bodybuilders chew it for jaw exercise and to help concentrate....but best for offering a juicy fruit to a nice lady siiting at the lights next to you(sorry,joking)!!!!

mate you'd be best with a good carb drink or if the carbs are already with your protein,just have that,then a while later have your good wholesome solid food meal...cant go wrong that way!!!!

·
UKMEDI.CO.UK
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, no one actually SAID chewing gum, but it was said that chewing was important.

Its was a serious question, but one more out of curiosity than anything else!

·
EFBB Winner
3,996 Posts
Robbie said:

i was going on the bit in bold and underlined....hope peoples responses have helped!!!

take care and keep training hard!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts