UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
push up or shut up
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the best exercises for lower pecs for someone who cant do decline db my gym doesnt have decline anything worst thing about it didnt know how to get over it apart from doing dips!! :confused1:

·
Herbalife Enthusiast
4,477 Posts
Imo the whole hitting each part of the chest thing is a bit over looked. If your hitting the chest heavy and hard even say on an incline you will still be working the whole chest tbh. Same with flat.

But anyway to answer your question you could pile 4 plates under the end of the bench and do that for dumbbells or try wide grip dips but lean more into it at an angle, or even with the cables, lots of ways to it.

·
Getting HUGE!
2,024 Posts
I do

6 sets 3-5 reps flat bench with bar

Does whole pecs and makes you stronger

6 sets incline 8-10 with dumbells

Does upper pec and muscle endurance

Then stand with back to cable machine put both sides up to top and do flys pulling down with straight arms and finish infront of you about level with your middle abs

Do ten then drop to next weight down do 10 more and drop to next weight down and so on until you can't do another rep.

This gets your lower pecs and gives you that ripped look

Your entire chest worked. Strength muscle and rip

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
5,555 Posts
We've been here before...

A paper cited on here showed that you cannot effectively work one part of the pecs in particular more than others.

Incline presses do not work the upper pecs especially. The more inclined the press, the less of a pec exercise it becomes. At more than 45º it's definitely a shoulder exercise.

·
Getting HUGE!
2,024 Posts
Prodiver said:
We've been here before...

A paper cited on here showed that you cannot effectively work one part of the pecs in particular more than others.

Incline presses do not work the upper pecs especially. The more inclined the press, the less of a pec exercise it becomes. At more than 45º it's definitely a shoulder exercise.
An education for me dude cheers, will look into that further.

·
Getting HUGE!
2,024 Posts
Funny how I get a more rounded chest if I just do flat with bar but widen at top and cut at bottom if I do aforementioned workout.

Maybe the different exercises give the muscles different

shape?

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
5,555 Posts
garry0770 said:
Funny how I get a more rounded chest if I just do flat with bar but widen at top and cut at bottom if I do aforementioned workout.

Maybe the different exercises give the muscles different

shape?
No - you just get a more effective pump when you sress the pecs optimally.

The most efficient pec exercises are decline presses and strict cable crosses (search my posts for why).

·
Premium Member
15,472 Posts
I disagree with that Paddy (here we go again :D )

Now I know pec major is one muscle, so in theory whether its 20 degrees up or down then it should matter not.

However, incline bench makes a visable difference to my chest (not just during a pumped workout)

In the same ilk (sp) flat bench changes the shape also.

·
Ex-mod
4,744 Posts
The pec major is a funny old muscle - so many origins. If you look at the shape of it (a fan shape) and appreciate that muscle bundles can only exert force along their length then it becomes obvious that different groups of the pec major will exert force along different angles of the upper arm. I think they've shown than that (checks google!) there are several groupings that can be triggered individually.

You can actually show this by pressing down and against your desk and hold your other hand flat against the tensing pec. You'll feel your lower pec tense nicely but your upper pec won't hardly tense at all.

·
Physiotherapist. Deadlift junkie.
2,586 Posts
defdaz said:
The pec major is a funny old muscle - so many origins. If you look at the shape of it (a fan shape) and appreciate that muscle bundles can only exert force along their length then it becomes obvious that different groups of the pec major will exert force along different angles of the upper arm. I think they've shown than that (checks google!) there are several groupings that can be triggered individually.

You can actually show this by pressing down and against your desk and hold your other hand flat against the tensing pec. You'll feel your lower pec tense nicely but your upper pec won't hardly tense at all.
/awkward kinesiology time :D

Many origins? It comes across the sternum for the sternal head, and clavicle for the clavicular head, of which both insert onto the intertubercular groove of the humerus.

Two origins, one tendon, one insertion.

Function of each head at the shoulder joint;

Sternal

Transverse Flexion

Transverse Adduction

Internal Rotation

Adduction

Extension

Clavicular

Transverse Flexion

Transverse Adduction

Internal Rotation

Adduction

Flexion

Abduction

Same movements bar shoulder flexion with the clav head, so how do you isolate one from the other? No one muscle provides a unique function for a particular movement, there will always be multiple activations occurring.

Obviously some people get better results from incline for example, i'm not denying that (because DB is a unit :lol: ) but individual mechanics alongside general biomechanic/kinesiologic principles tend to dictate that the upper lower pec isolation is all a bit crap.

All IMO of course :thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
defdaz said:

Yeah there are some EMG studies that show a different distribution of muscle activity accross the two heads of the pec depending upon whether the angle is incline, supine or decline, and also between grip width.

Is important to remember though that all chest pressing exercise work the whole pec, and any differences in distribution of muscle activity are actually fairly small... they are significant, and can make a difference to the shape of your pecs over a long time, but in general you can't really say that inclines are predominantly an upper pec exercise or that declines primarily a lower pec movement... all chest presses work the whole chest just with a slight variations in which fibers are activated primarily to move the load.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.