UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
9 Posts
What is the best thing to do? I have lost a quite a bit of gone from 17st 8lb. to 15st 2lb weight but still have about another stone to cut until i have lost my body fat (currently 27bmi). I would like to increase my overall bulk, and is it better to lose all the weight first then bulk or just start training weights hard now and cut out some cardio?

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Depends buddy,

If your BF% is too high, then its not great for your health or your joints so a diet/cut prior to bulking would be best. Obesity actually works against muscle also by creating a rise in oestrogen.

Aim to get your BF% below 25% preferably 20% before bulking if possible.

hth

SD

·
Dieting :(
2,821 Posts
SportDr said:
Depends buddy,

If your BF% is too high, then its not great for your health or your joints so a diet/cut prior to bulking would be best. Obesity actually works against muscle also by creating a rise in oestrogen.

Aim to get your BF% below 25% preferably 20% before bulking if possible.

hth

SD
My BF is currently around 20% now. I recently lost around a stone doing more cardio. I've started to hit the weights like I used to and upped my protein. Aim is to put some muscle on over winter, then cut down again. Was thinking the other day that this may be a bad idea, but from reading the above, do you think I'm on the right track?

·
5,868 Posts
pastanchicken said:
My BF is currently around 20% now. I recently lost around a stone doing more cardio. I've started to hit the weights like I used to and upped my protein. Aim is to put some muscle on over winter, then cut down again. Was thinking the other day that this may be a bad idea, but from reading the above, do you think I'm on the right track?
Yes that sounds fine my friend, I am not much over 20% myself, its heavy sure and I dont have a six pack (or want one) but its not so big that increasing your cals with clean food is a bad idea at all. With any luck, your hormones will respond well to the training stimulus and you may lose some fat as you gain that muscle! not likely but not unheard of :)

SD

·
2,821 Posts
SportDr said:
Yes that sounds fine my friend, I am not much over 20% myself, its heavy sure and I dont have a six pack (or want one) but its not so big that increasing your cals with clean food is a bad idea at all. With any luck, your hormones will respond well to the training stimulus and you may lose some fat as you gain that muscle! not likely but not unheard of :)

SD
Nice one. Upped my cals, but still eating clean. People have said I'm still losing fat even though I've cut the cardio out, think that's due to cutting out the [email protected] food. Also keep my workouts fairly intense too, so always have a real sweat on. Hoping this will aid both muscle gains and fat loss! :)

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
I would personally say to get your body fat down under 15%. Reason being if you carry a higher bf% all year then want to cut down to lose it you will find it a lot harder as your body is use to it. If you have a low or medium bf% then need to cut up slightly you will find it a lot easier.

Im currently about 15% and looking to get to 10 or 12 before bulking again but staying at 10-12 throughout the bulk

·
2,821 Posts
Thanks for the advice

The reason I'm going down this route is the fact that I believe I'm still losing bf without doing the intense cardio I was doing the other month when I lost all the weight. I think it's due to may change of job. The new office has literally no food source, which means what I bring to work is what I eat. Therefore every day I bring a bag of healthy goodies with me, and have no temptation to eat any rubbish, unlike my previous workplace :thumbup1:

I've only upped my calories but eating clean foods, and I am training 4x a week. I think i'll carry on this way for a few weeks and then assess. After my bulk though I really wanna get down to around 15% bf.

Cheers again

·
5,868 Posts
willsey4 said:
I would personally say to get your body fat down under 15%. Reason being if you carry a higher bf% all year then want to cut down to lose it you will find it a lot harder as your body is use to it. If you have a low or medium bf% then need to cut up slightly you will find it a lot easier.

Im currently about 15% and looking to get to 10 or 12 before bulking again but staying at 10-12 throughout the bulk
The leaner the better for sure, was giving 20% as an acceptable limit with 25% being a high upper limit.

Personally I would love to 10% b4 bulking but I am not going to spend the rest of the year dieting :tongue:

SD

·
2,821 Posts
SportDr said:
The leaner the better for sure, was giving 20% as an acceptable limit with 25% being a high upper limit.

Personally I would love to 10% b4 bulking but I am not going to spend the rest of the year dieting :tongue:

SD
LOL, too right. Sick of it now, wanna get back on the weights! I will DEFINITELY be cutting in a few months though :)

·
Newbie Trainer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for your help, how do i work out my bf%? I work out at home so don't go to the gym is there any where else i can do this.

I am eating clean no fatty food and trying to keep my carbs low, at the moment i am doing half cardio and half weights. I know i am not eating enough to bulk so i have been cutting back to a daliy diet which normally goes something like this:-

meal 1: oats or toast

meal 2: fruit

meal 3: omlette or chicken pasta

meal 4: fruit

meal 5: chilli & rice or tuna & a jacket spud

meal 6: fruit or yogurt

it this alright for now till i have lost some pounds!!

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
Ratty said:
thanks for your help, how do i work out my bf%? I work out at home so don't go to the gym is there any where else i can do this.

I am eating clean no fatty food and trying to keep my carbs low, at the moment i am doing half cardio and half weights. I know i am not eating enough to bulk so i have been cutting back to a daliy diet which normally goes something like this:-

meal 1: oats or toast

meal 2: fruit

meal 3: omlette or chicken pasta

meal 4: fruit

meal 5: chilli & rice or tuna & a jacket spud

meal 6: fruit or yogurt

it this alright for now till i have lost some pounds!!
I get mine done with calipers at the gym by one of the instructors. This is the best way to do it. I dont know how accurate the scales are with bf% on them so can not comment on them.

try getting in to a gym just once to get it done properly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts