UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Gym Addict
2,351 Posts
I think 'light weight' needs qualifying.....as in essence as long as progressive overload is applied, 'light and heavy' are relative terms....as longer as you're getting stronger (all things being equal) you will be at certain times lifting heavier weights...

After all if can bench 60kg for 6 reps today and 2 years later im still benching 60kg for 6 reps where is the progression? How can i possibly get bigger? Even if i lift it slowly, squeeze the muscle and have perfect mind muscle connection.....at some point, you MUST try and get stronger....otherwise whats the point?

·
Gym Addict
2,351 Posts
But your muscles don't know if there's 100kg or 200 or whatever on the bar. It's how you move that weight.
Not really, i understand what your saying....but its not strictly true...your muscles dont 'need to know' how much is on the bar....as long as either...

1) you do more reps with the same weight

2) you do more weight for the same reps or

3) a combination of both

So yeah it doesnt matter if it 60,90, 200 or whatever as long as progressive overload is present...regardless of how its moved. Take a guy who can bench 60kg for 10 with a beautiful, slow controlled movement and a paused contraction at the bottom do you think he will have as much muscle as a guy who can bench 160kg for the same reps but with a more explosive drive off the chest and no pause at the bottom...

·
Gym Addict
2,351 Posts
if you just put 20k each side and try and press it and I add additional resistance by pushing down on it and making it very difficult.....

1. does your muscle know how much weight is on the bar?

2. will your muscle respond?
I get where your coming from banzi but you have to concede, at least initially for more muscle you have to get stronger.....as you advance and your goals refine ie bodybuilding, physique over more strength oriented pursuits.....but at some point without training of a progressive nature how do you improve?

As to your points

1. You are correct, the muscle doesn't 'know' how much resistance is on the bar- nor does it need to...

2. It will respond....initially....as what your providing is increased resistance....now all you need to do is guarantee the same resistance (or more) is provided next time....or more reps are achieved with the same resistance!

.....i reckon this is the first training related discussion ive had with you mr banzi :D

·
Looking Freaky
6,997 Posts
only read the first line but it basically says the key is to lift the lighter weight more times. Nothing new or revolutionary there, its progressive overload using more reps instead of more weight but as we all know at some point its going to get to a point where adding more reps isn't going to be practical and you will need to add more weight so kind of makes the whole light v heavy argument pointless Imo.

·
Banned
17,855 Posts
I get where your coming from banzi but you have to concede, at least initially for more muscle you have to get stronger.....as you advance and your goals refine ie bodybuilding, physique over more strength oriented pursuits.....but at some point without training of a progressive nature how do you improve?

As to your points

1. You are correct, the muscle doesn't 'know' how much resistance is on the bar- nor does it need to...

2. It will respond....initially....as what your providing is increased resistance....now all you need to do is guarantee the same resistance (or more) is provided next time....or more reps are achieved with the same resistance!

.....i reckon this is the first training related discussion ive had with you mr banzi :D
its not just about increasing weight, its about increasing stress, you can stress the muscle with drop sets and supersets, partial reps and many other ways.

I'm lifting much less weight on most exercises now than I did back in the 90s and am around the same level of physique.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.