UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get some generic meds from a US based online pharmacy that actually sends from Hong Kong. I've done this for years getting a package once every 3 months or so and have never been asked to pay duty.

My latest package has taken a long time to arrive, and today I get a note from the post office trying to extort money from me for MY item.

What I would like to know is - have I got lucky for over 4 years, has the 'law' changed or are they taking the p1ss?

I am absolutely fvcking fuming right now :cursing:

·
Solid Gold
6,442 Posts
is it from parcel force mate?? if so you dont have to pay them as you didnt ask them to hold it for you.... i think there is a thread somewhere on here about it

·
The League of Shadows
1,311 Posts
I buy a lot from eBay, and you can get away with the tax if the item is marked as a gift with a value of less than £32 or anything else below £18.

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
ba baracuss said:
I get some generic meds from a US based online pharmacy that actually sends from Hong Kong. I've done this for years getting a package once every 3 months or so and have never been asked to pay duty.

My latest package has taken a long time to arrive, and today I get a note from the post office trying to extort money from me for MY item.

What I would like to know is - have I got lucky for over 4 years, has the 'law' changed or are they taking the p1ss?

I am absolutely fvcking fuming right now :cursing:
You've been lucky.

Customs duty and import VAT are non-negotiable. If the value of the goods is over £18, you have to pay duty and VAT, providing the value of the taxes is over €10. Under €10, duty will not be collected, regardless of the value of the item (VAT will though)

Any charges over and above this are at the postal service/freight forwarders discretion and customs have no control over this.

HOWEVER, the law is changing in December. From December 1st, you will be able to import goods by post up to the value of€150 (£105) and no customs duty will be charged. This does only apply to customs duty though - any VAT or Excise duties applicable will still be charged..... (If you're importing supps, protein powder is zero rated for VAT, but bars are not.... )

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_028770

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kezz said:
is it from parcel force mate?? if so you dont have to pay them as you didnt ask them to hold it for you.... i think there is a thread somewhere on here about it
No it's Royal Mail mate, although what you said is interesting, as I got scammed by Parcel force on a golf club a few months back :cursing:

Beklet said:
You've been lucky.

Customs duty and import VAT are non-negotiable. If the value of the goods is over £18, you have to pay duty and VAT, providing the value of the taxes is over €10. Under €10, duty will not be collected, regardless of the value of the item (VAT will though)

Any charges over and above this are at the postal service/freight forwarders discretion and customs have no control over this.

HOWEVER, the law is changing in December. From December 1st, you will be able to import goods by post up to the value of€150 (£105) and no customs duty will be charged. This does only apply to customs duty though - any VAT or Excise duties applicable will still be charged..... (If you're importing supps, protein powder is zero rated for VAT, but bars are not.... )

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_028770
Cheers. I've read the link but it's about as clear as mud. It appears the robbing bastards are still trying to extort money from anyone who dares not pay inflated UK/EU prices for things, the sh1tbags.

I am immensely inclined right now to grab the item and run from the sorting office.

·
Gobby
10,533 Posts
ba baracuss said:
No it's Royal Mail mate, although what you said is interesting, as I got scammed by Parcel force on a golf club a few months back :cursing:

Cheers. I've read the link but it's about as clear as mud. It appears the robbing bastards are still trying to extort money from anyone who dares not pay inflated UK/EU prices for things, the sh1tbags.

I am immensely inclined right now to grab the item and run from the sorting office.
The link says exactly what I said :)

Customs duty is controlled by the EU anyway, and VAT must be collected by the UK government as that's an EU law too. The law is the same on this in every other EU country. It's something the UK government have little control over.

If prices are too high here, it's because the retailers can get away with it, and the government makes it easier and easier for us to get shafted by big businesses.

Only 'robbing bastards' here are Royal Mail who charge large sums of money to tell you there's a charge...

·
bann3d
1,496 Posts
I got a package through from DHL from the states then 10 days later a bill for £17, £7 VAT and £10 admin charge but I already have my items so they can swivel for it....................... £10 admin charge lmao

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Beklet said:
The link says exactly what I said

Customs duty is controlled by the EU anyway, and VAT must be collected by the UK government as that's an EU law too. The law is the same on this in every other EU country. It's something the UK government have little control over.

If prices are too high here, it's because the retailers can get away with it, and the government makes it easier and easier for us to get shafted by big businesses.

Only 'robbing bastards' here are Royal Mail who charge large sums of money to tell you there's a charge...
The link is actually quite confusing as it seems to be saying on one hand that you can import stuff upto £105 quid with no duty, then it's saying you cannot. The red mist also obscured my vision at the time.

If you think paying import duty is fair you're on a totally different and hard to comprehend wavelength to me.

thestudbeast said:
I got a package through from DHL from the states then 10 days later a bill for £17, £7 VAT and £10 admin charge but I already have my items so they can swivel for it....................... £10 admin charge lmao
The post office have slipped up with me before by delivering something with a 'duty to pay' note attached.

Schoolboy error from the snivelling thieves :thumbup1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts