UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have decent legs in relavence to my body.

27" upper leg

16" calfs

but have struggled to get my hams as good as quads, i have decided to step it up a gear in terms of leg work out my leg work out has been

5x5 squat

3x10 leg press

3x10 leg ext

3x10 lying ham curl

3x20 calf raises on leg press

was thinking of changing it to really shock, them to

3x20 squat

3x10 front squat ( obv after squat the weight will drop dramatically)

3x10 leg ext

3x10 lying ham curl

3x10 seated ham curl

3x20 calf raises

now wwhats people opinions on lying ham curl and seated in one work out? waste? any suggestions?

·
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!!!
1,292 Posts
well if your doing SLDL properly, you'll find that the focus on the lower back is minimised (not taken away)

When i do BB sldl, i find that if i stick my ass back as far as possible and lower the barbell just below my knee caps, this hits my hamstrings really well! Squeeze your ass and hammys, and do it nice and slow and controlled!

·
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
54und3r5 said:
well if your doing SLDL properly, you'll find that the focus on the lower back is minimised (not taken away)

When i do BB sldl, i find that if i stick my ass back as far as possible and lower the barbell just below my knee caps, this hits my hamstrings really well! Squeeze your ass and hammys, and do it nice and slow and controlled!
cool i will have to try these as never done them, so you dont put the bb on the floor each time but rather keep the tension on by just going as far as just below the knees?

·
Getting Freaky!
7,522 Posts
SiPhil said:
Why only one working set?
well its a Yates take on training

i use all sets as heavy warm up sets so big weights that i could hit 8 reps ish to fail but ill only do 4-5 reps on them working my way up in weight and cutting short till i do that one all out set after you have hit fail on a move its job done!

when i hit all out fail i could not do another good set im fuked lol

·
Physiotherapist. Deadlift junkie.
2,586 Posts
Could change your split around a bit to train hams and quads on separate days.

But as mentioned above, you'd probably benefit from hitting your hamstrings from the hip as well as the knee, since the hams run over two joints and serve two main functions (hip extension, knee flexion)

One from SLDL, RDL and Good mornings for hip extension exercises, Glute ham raises or seated/lying leg curls for knee flexion alongside Deads would probably be sufficient.

·
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!!!
1,292 Posts
warren_1987 said:
cool i will have to try these as never done them, so you dont put the bb on the floor each time but rather keep the tension on by just going as far as just below the knees?
Yeh mate, just below knees does the trick ;0)

·
Getting Freaky!
7,522 Posts
Ak_88 said:
Could change your split around a bit to train hams and quads on separate days.

But as mentioned above, you'd probably benefit from hitting your hamstrings from the hip as well as the knee, since the hams run over two joints and serve two main functions (hip extension, knee flexion)

One from SLDL, RDL and Good mornings for hip extension exercises, Glute ham raises or seated/lying leg curls for knee flexion alongside Deads would probably be sufficient.
i really do think that sldl or rdl would be enough tbh if he did that with some leg press (to save his lower back from squats) it would do him a world of good

only do it for a few weeks till the hams start to come on a bit then do a hams quads sep day split

·
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cheers lads, great info.

i think i will use jims workout there. for a few weeks then as said split up hams and quads. plus will be nice to have and extra day in the gym when i split them , reps all fo rthe info

·
Getting Freaky!
7,522 Posts
warren_1987 said:
cheers lads, great info.

i think i will use jims workout there. for a few weeks then as said split up hams and quads. plus will be nice to have and extra day in the gym when i split them , reps all fo rthe info
try running eod and just try to keep hams quads and back days as far apart as poss

dnt work on 7days just keep going eod till it comes back around mate

·
want 5% off myprotein? use code MP16769
6,626 Posts
when something is lacking for me ill usually split it so i hit it twice a week. works well for me. so id hit hams twice, maybe with legs and other with back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.