UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gym Addict
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a lot of info from people on here and i really appreciate it. I have got my nutrition pretty much sorted and I have been told to keep it basic and compound for the weights.........and avoid isolation....something I'm finding hard!

I'm just worried that if i only stick to squats, military press, bench/incline, deadlifts, bent over row, and chin ups i wont see results.....I wanna bulk but i want muscle not to turn into a fat bugga with no definition.I drew up a 1 day on 1 day off regime with a days rest in between....what do you think?

Day 1

Squats, Bench press/incline, arm curl (full body, chest, biceps)

Day 2

deadlift, tricep row, pull ups, military press, bent over row (full body, triceps, shoulders, back)

All approx 6/8 reps with 75% max weight for 5 sets each exercise

I know i'm annoying and naive but I'm just trying to get to a point that makes me feel like i might be on the right track....both nutrition and exercise wise.....PLEASE ADD OR CHANGE THIS REGIME AS YOU THINK IT MAY HELP

Again thanks to everyone for input I really appreciate it :)

·
89 Posts
jamjam you dont want to be doing any arm curls, this may work for the lucky few but as you say your not one of them id steer well clear till youve added some good muscle, squats-deads-bench-milatary press is all you need but throw some pull ups in or chin ups (great for biceps) and your away give it 5-6 moths with a good diet you should make some real decent gains. The weight you should be lifting should be the maximun weight you can make 5 reps with then keep training with that till you can do all 5 sets then up the weight 10 pounds and start again

·
8,379 Posts
jamjam84 said:
squats, military press, bench/incline, deadlifts, bent over row, and chin ups
As I understand it, you're still starting out, right? Well pretty much either way, you will see results from these exercises. Squats and deads use pretty much all muscles. I've been following a basic heavy compounds routine myself the last 8 months - following many years of isolation stuff - and the results have been pretty impressive.

What I would do to this routine is split it into three days. Squats and deads take a lot out of you.

·
EFBB Winner
3,850 Posts
jamjam84 said:
I know i'm annoying and naive but I'm just trying to get to a point that makes me feel like i might be on the right track....)
jam,that is what these forums are designed for,no one will criticise you for asking questions and displaying enthusiasm!

So don't worry,ask away! :)

·
8,379 Posts
ParaManiac said:
jam,that is what these forums are designed for,no one will criticise you for asking questions and displaying enthusiasm!

So don't worry,ask away! :)
Hear hear. I'd rather people asked sensible questions about what they're doing and then do it right, than not ask any questions and (at best) do it wrong or (at worst) injure themselves.

As for the biceps curls, your arms will get plenty of stimulation from back and chest work, though that's not to say that if something's weak you can't still work it. For example, I rarely do any direct biceps work, but thrash my triceps every week.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
dmcc said:
As I understand it, you're still starting out, right? Well pretty much either way, you will see results from these exercises. Squats and deads use pretty much all muscles. I've been following a basic heavy compounds routine myself the last 8 months - following many years of isolation stuff - and the results have been pretty impressive.

What I would do to this routine is split it into three days. Squats and deads take a lot out of you.
Good advice from the womaniser :thumbup1:

Thankfully for me I was corrected much earlier as regards compounds over isolation (thanks dude if you're reading).

Push/pull/legs should suit him fine.

I'd suggest not doing 5x5 as this is for strength and this guy wants size, so look at something you can lift for 8 reps max for say 3 sets, keep at it 'til you can lift for 12 reps and then up the weight.

·
EFBB Winner
3,850 Posts
ba baracuss said:
Push/pull/legs should suit him fine.

I'd suggest not doing 5x5 as this is for strength and this guy wants size, so look at something you can lift for 8 reps max for say 3 sets, keep at it 'til you can lift for 12 reps and then up the weight.
Sounds like a plan :thumbup1:

·
Gym Addict
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was wondering cos when i get to 8 reps i feel like i can push another one or two reps

with a bit of difficulty, so generally i push the extra, if I can.

Just dont wanna do too much, or too little.

Thanks for being supportive re the amount of questions. My goal is to get it right...then in time who knows I might even be able to advise something that has worked for me.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
jamjam84 said:
i was wondering cos when i get to 8 reps i feel like i can push another one or two reps

with a bit of difficulty, so generally i push the extra, if I can.

Just dont wanna do too much, or too little.

Thanks for being supportive re the amount of questions. My goal is to get it right...then in time who knows I might even be able to advise something that has worked for me.
Don't worry about it mate. I'm by no means an expert but I try to give a bit back here and answer these basic questions that people (well one in particular) helped me with as this is such a top site.

Another thing to bear in mind is don't be too keen - by all means smash the granny out of the weights in each workout, but keep the reps between 8-12 and not too many sets, and ensure plenty of rest - I train each bodypart once a week and I'm natural - others who juice go upto every 9 days so bear in mind how easy it is to overtrain.

Always remember you grow out of the gym not in it.

·
is realising, diet, traing, rest, supplements, 12
578 Posts
Arms curls suck, if your arms are growing faster than your chest then you maybe arent training your chest enough. Also dont forget its easiest to see arms growth as they are isolated in the body, chest growth is more subtle.

I would add dips into your routine

·
is realising, diet, traing, rest, supplements, 12
578 Posts
waste of time, you are only working one muscle of its own, the same muscle that has already been battered from other moves. Train the whole body, not the bicep.

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
Stick with the big compound exercises for 6 months to get a solid base. You will notice the difference. After 6 months you can start a new split which will incorporate arms etc to add shape, definition etc etc.

I never done this but if i could go back and change it i would as it probably took me twice as long to get where i did.

Even a little powerlifting such as 5x5 routines will help.

·
Newbie Trainer
3 Posts
(My first post) Awsome stuff on here, love the lack of ego on this forum.

Does anyone have any good links or know of any good push/pull/leg splits?

What's best? Stiff legged deadlifts on leg days, normal deadlifts on back days, or just do both on the respective days?

·
Gym Addict
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys this is my original post can anyone give me a routine plan for basic compound heavy lifting (bulking exercise) for a day on day off routine........sorry to be an **** but i tried to do my own and i cant help either putting isolation movements in OR having lifts that if i do them on the same day they will kill me or be sewrious over training. I just wanna look like you lot in the pics :)

·
Newbie Trainer
69 Posts
im glad i read this, in general i am looking to increase my body size all over,nothing major, just tone up should i say, i have a slight stomach that i want to get rid of, should i not do the by biceps either as they get worked enough doing other exercises.

im doing my chest tonight,

how many exercises should i do for each muscle, and should i do three sets of 8,and then when i can do 3 sets of 10 increase the weight

any suggestion on any protein drinks while im at it,thanks

·
Gym Addict
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You''ll get loads of advice on here but if your the same as me stick to the compound movements in the begining and get your diet sorted. I'm finding slightly that less is more and I might do squats and bench/incline bench one day, have a day off, and do deadlifts and bent over row, have a day off, and do chin ups, and military press, have a day off and then start over again. I'm doing 5 sets of up to 8 reps......if i exceed 8 reps I add a littl weight. Just remember that you will perform 8 reps easier on the 1st set so dont add a ton of weight at this point. When your lifting control the movement up and down at a good steady speed to get the max out of each rep. Dont fire them of rapidly cos it wont work as well and you might injure yourself. ALWAYS WARM UP 1ST!!!!

Make sure you have your diet sorted and use an MRP shake or something up to 2 times a day (after a workout is pretty important). This will help with the amount of food you have to eat. Get some good carbs and protein with each small meal and avoid junk and sugars. Like the guys say in about 6 months you will see some results in size then you can isolate to give more shape to individual muscles.

Its not easy, I'm only just getting in the swing if this now!! stay focused and get a plan together cos you will be screwed without one. OH OH OH and make sure you get plenty of rest!!!! cos if you train every day you'll burn out and end up lookin like a prisoner of war instead of Arnie.................

Anyone got anything they wanna add to that ??? feel free!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts