UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to bulk up over the next few months using a 4 day split routine would these be okay to give me good gains?

Mon:

Flat Bench

Incline Bench

Dips

Flyes

Close Grip Bench

Skullcrushers

Tue:

Deadlift

Lat Pullldowns

Cable Rows

Barbell Curls

Hammer Curls

Thur:

Squat

Legs Extensions

Leg Curls

Calf Raises

Friday:

Military Press

Front Plate Raises

Side Dumbell Raises

Reverse Flyes

Any chances would be took on board, or if you think i should re-think everything I'll have to look at other options.

I'll be using a 12-10-8 set method each set going heavier in weight.

And if it helps at all I've trained for a year on and off, still a slim build and I'm 19.

Cheers, Ryan:thumb:

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would you recomend for ham's? I like chins but my training partner has just started out and will struggle to get enough reps out with them? Should he do them and just go to fail? And bent over barbell rows?

·
gaining....
53 Posts
I agree with Razorblade, more legs needed. I like to do stiff leg deadlifts for my hammys. I feel they really help with size and shape. Make sure you keep good form tho.

And bent over barbell rows would be a good addtition too. Here is a link if you don't know what they are:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bent-over-barbell-row

You've got a good starting point tho, you can always adjust your programme later if your not seeing results....

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, I thought I might need more on legs, I'd be happy if i came out the gym on cruches, i just know don't want to over train them at the same time? If someone would put together what they'd recomend on a leg day that would be great. I started out as one of those people "Oh im not bothered about legs i want huge arms and chest.." regretting it now though!

·
Newbie Trainer
54 Posts
ive been looking to change routine when i come back from my hols, if you dont mind man think ill pinch yours lol!!! i dont have a cable for rows so i do heavy bent over rows with a z-bar for comfort anyway. i do 5x5 reps but things like forearms i do more reps less weight and pound out the reps.

razorblade, your traps are ****in huge man nice one! any tips for building them up like that?

cheers

·
Banned
322 Posts
rjohnson said:
What would you recomend for ham's? I like chins but my training partner has just started out and will struggle to get enough reps out with them? Should he do them and just go to fail? And bent over barbell rows?
Do them weighted and aim for as many reps as you want. you could use the lat pulldown and do them like that, for hams do stiff legged deads like silver said

·
Banned
322 Posts
hardgainr said:
ive been looking to change routine when i come back from my hols, if you dont mind man think ill pinch yours lol!!! i dont have a cable for rows so i do heavy bent over rows with a z-bar for comfort anyway. i do 5x5 reps but things like forearms i do more reps less weight and pound out the reps.

razorblade, your traps are ****in huge man nice one! any tips for building them up like that?

cheers
cheers pal...heavy deads = big traps imo, sometimes do shrug work but not often

·
Newbie Trainer
54 Posts
Razorblade said:
cheers pal...heavy deads = big traps imo, sometimes do shrug work but not often
i do alot of shrugs but im definetly inclined to do as you say ive always been a good deadlifter might not be alot to most guys on here but at 19 and a natty i could do 140kg, i dont do any in my garage as ive got only york cast weights and i find the diameter of the 10kg plates means im crouching low to get the bar and it feels wrong. i might have to rest them on blocks of wood or summat until the gym opens again. deads it is then cos i want big traps.

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, sorry to bump an old thread of mine but it's easier than starting a new one i guess, using a similar split to what's been decided here, would i be okay to do this Tuesday, Wed, Thur, Fri then rest saturday sunday monday? I can't train on mondays seeing as I am at college from when my gym opens to when it closes, and can't train saturdays as I am at work from when the gym opens to when it closes, I know 4 days in a row is not ideal but setting it out as:

Mon- Rest

Tue - Chest & Tri's

Wed - Back & Bi's

Thur - Legs

Fri - Shoulders & Abs

I believe this minimizes the muscle overlapping? Would i be better to switch chest & tris and back and bi's around with back being next to legs?

Any help would be great cheers.

·
Newbie Trainer
87 Posts
Training is about change, so swap your routine every 6 weeks, nothing dramatic, hand position, rep range, high, low etc, machines vs dumbbells, but remember training is fuelled by diet, get that wrong and forget gains

or try this

Shaun

www.dinosaurnutrition.com

DAY 1; Chest & Biceps (Monday)

DAY 2; Back & Triceps (Tuesday)

DAY 3; Thighs & Hamstrings (Thursday)

DAY 4; Shoulders (Friday)

Please remember that you should not over train;

4 - 5 Exercises per body part3 - 4 Sets per exercise

10 -4 Reps Set 1 - 10 x Reps / Set 2- 8 x Reps / Set 3 - 8 x Reps / Set 4- 6 to 4 x Reps

Please also remember that each exercise must have a full strict movement, No cheating, and use a weight that you can actually train properly with

============================================================

DAY 1;

Chest; Biceps;

Flat Bench Press Preacher Curls

Incline Bench Press Seated Dumbbell Curls

Decline Bench Press Standing 21`s

Pullovers or Flies Standing Barbell Curls

Peck Deck or Crosssovers Concentration Curls

===============================================================

DAY 2;

Back; Triceps;

Wide Grip Behind Neck Pulldowns Close Grip Pushdowns

Medium Grip Front Pulldowns Wide Grip Pushdowns

Base Pully Rows Reverse Grip Bench Press

T-Bar or Dumbbell Rows Close Grip Bench Press

Wide Grip Chins One Arm Cable Kick backs

========================================================================

DAY 3;

Thighs; Hamstrings;

Double Leg Extensions Leg Curls

Leg Press Straight Leg Deadlift

Hack Squat Single Leg Curls (standing or lying down)

Squats

Single Leg Extensions

DAY 4;

Shoulders;

Side Lateral Raise Upright Rows

Front Lateral Raises Shrugs

Bent Over Flies Wide Grip Behind Neck Chins

Behind Neck Press

Front Press

================================================

Calves;

Take one exercise for calves each day you train. Choose one of;

Seated Calve Raises

Standing Calve Raises

Leg Press Calve Raises

Hack Squat Calve Raises

4 x Sets / 20 Reps

Each time you train your calves change the angle of your feet.

Point Feet In

Point Feet Out

Point Feet Straight.

======================================================================

Abdominals;

Do not do too much on your abdominals. Remember it's a muscle it will grow if you over train it. I suggest that you;

4 x Sets of 20 - 25 crunches.

Twists on the edge of a bench for 5 minutes. Make sure you are sat on the edge, feet flat facing forward, and twist a broom stick behind your neck as far round as you can with out moving your lower section

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shaun Dinosaur said:
Training is about change, so swap your routine every 6 weeks, nothing dramatic, hand position, rep range, high, low etc, machines vs dumbbells, but remember training is fuelled by diet, get that wrong and forget gains

or try this

Shaun

10 -4 Reps Set 1 - 10 x Reps / Set 2- 8 x Reps / Set 3 - 8 x Reps / Set 4- 6 to 4 x Reps

Please also remember that each exercise must have a full strict movement, No cheating, and use a weight that you can actually train properly with

DAY 1;

Chest; Biceps;

DAY 2;

Back; Triceps;

DAY 3;

Thighs; Hamstrings;

Squats

Single Leg Extensions

DAY 4;

Shoulders;

Behind Neck Press

Front Press

Calves;

Seated Calve Raises

Standing Calve Raises

Leg Press Calve Raises

Hack Squat Calve Raises

4 x Sets / 20 Reps

Point Feet In

Point Feet Out

Point Feet Straight.

Abdominals;

Do not do too much on your abdominals. Remember it's a muscle it will grow if you over train it. I suggest that you;

Twists on the edge of a bench for 5 minutes. Make sure you are sat on the edge, feet flat facing forward, and twist a broom stick behind your neck as far round as you can with out moving your lower section
Sorry but non of that really answers the question I just asked, did you not bother reading and just copy and paste? Thanks for the effort though mate.

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shaun Dinosaur said:

or try this

Shaun

DAY 1;

Chest; Biceps;

DAY 2;

Back; Triceps;

DAY 3;

Thighs; Hamstrings;

Squats

Single Leg Extensions

DAY 4;

Shoulders;

Behind Neck Press

Front Press

Calves;

Seated Calve Raises

Standing Calve Raises

Leg Press Calve Raises

Hack Squat Calve Raises

4 x Sets / 20 Reps

Point Feet In

Point Feet Out

Point Feet Straight.

Abdominals;

Sorry but non of that really answers the question I just asked, did you not bother reading and just copy and paste? Thanks for the effort though mate.

·
Newbie Trainer
87 Posts
Sorry bud thanks for the Dis, perhaps I didint explain properly, you need to vary your routine, you said over the next few months, do that routine for the next few months and growth will be stunted as its not pregressive enough, its static, you need to vary content, and routine, so I gave you another example, this way you could do one routine for 4-6 weeks then change, intensity is everything, very short rests, heavy and eat like never before, train like never before, focus and forget everyone else in the gym, its all about you.

And I did paste it, as its part of the routines I would prescribe for my Athletes, it was designed by me and Mike Mentzer, youve probably never hear of him either.

Shaun

·
Getting HUGE!
1,618 Posts
rjohnson said:
Fcuking hell mate, that was quality advice from one of best bodybuilders ever to come out of this country! Did you bother reading it???

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry if i came across as being ****y in my last comment, I didn't mean for that to be the case I just typed it out quickly on my phone before i went to try and explain i didn't see how it answer the question i asked, i appreciate the advise given and will definately take my time looking into it and the website linked as it all looks like it will help me alot with future routines etc, but could you also please let me know what you think about training 4 days in a row? Again sorry if i sounded like an ****y little kid.

·
Getting Bigger
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've never really looked into pro bodybuilding with just starting out, I've seen the odd video on youtube, but spent most of my spare time trying to research diet/training to try to better myself with just beggining bodybuilding, after having a look through your website Shaun I noticed you where fairly local to me so I have tried to research abit more into you as it looks as you would be a very good starting point.

It didn't take me long after seeing your picture to click on why the name rang a bell, you used to, and maybe still do, train at ilkeston gym! There is a signed picture of you by the counter. I honistly never meant to come across as if i didn't appreciate the advise you gave me, like i said in my last comment it was just to say that I would have liked to have know if training in this way I would be able to train 4 days in a row as this is all I am able to.

I sorry for coming across as dismissing what you said, it's gave me the push to look further into pro bodybuilding, and you will be my starting point for this!

·
Newbie Trainer
87 Posts
LOL its cool, dont beat yourself up about it,training 4 days in a row is fine, I used to do a 5 day split Monday to Friday, weekends off for family and seminars, 4 days is an excellent starting point as you only grow and develop durinf rest hence you can over train, and I like the fact that you have looked into diet as well as its a 50 50 split, one is no good without the other, also as you are new you need to mess about with your training hence I gave you an example of what else you could do, I would swap and change my workout constantly, but it would always be heavy and intense.

In bodybuilding knowledge is power, but it comes with time and maturity, so be patient, also any questions you can email me [email protected].com

Shaun

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.