UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im new to the site and have been reading how food is the utmost of importance for good results with training etc.

But being realistic there are many people who have terrible diets that are unable to do anything about it or even people wha physically can't eat lots of have no real apetite so my question is:

With the correct amount of supps can your diet be made to work so training is an option for people who struggle to eat all the correct foods ?

Thanks

·
Rising from the ashes
8,231 Posts
yes, definitely, some of the biggest people I know get over 50% of their intake (protein particularly) from shakes...

Between my 1st and 2nd competitive seasons, I got around 65-75% of my protein intake from whey protein concentrate...

There is no concrete reasoning behind the food is better argument, haven't heard one yet that I can't counter - ad at the end of the day, what are shakes? They are just food too lol!

It all depends on the lifestyle, the individuals tolerance of supps, etc etc

And ultimately, even the most ardent food fan has to accept - a shake based diet intake is better than no intake - so if your lifestyle is genuinely such that getting lots of real food in is a big problem, then don't stress - use supps.

Finally, once you progress, you need more to maintain never mind grow, so it gets to the point for a lot of people where even if they did have the time, they physically wouldn't be able to eat enough food to get them the amounts of protein/carbs/fat they need to bodybuild optimally.

·
Newbie Trainer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

Could you please tell me what would be a good selection of supps to take when eating is made difficult so that all the protein, carbs, fat etc needed are catered for.

·
5% off myprotein MP269006
2,421 Posts
A homemade shake :thumbup1:

Whey protein, powderd oats, banana and olive oil :)

I always have two of these a day as im on a budget at the moment and its a quick, cheap and easy meal!

Have a good look in the shake recipie section of the forum :thumbup1:

·
Rising from the ashes
8,231 Posts
xxxsecurity said:
Thanks,

Could you please tell me what would be a good selection of supps to take when eating is made difficult so that all the protein, carbs, fat etc needed are catered for.
Any good protein supplement is a good start, obv I am going to suggest Extreme as I am sponsored by them but the choice is endless.

For carbs, you could drink oat powder, or there are several other types available, a lot of people slate maltodextrin, but I have never had an issue with it even while dieting for shows, and it is cheap.

There are several good wieght gain supps that could cover all your bases, but then you lose the flexibility of individual supplements - up to you tho, might be the best way. Extreme Nutritions Mass is just one such example, has a blend of carb sources, mix of protein sources, tastes great - but again obviously there are other choices.

·
Rising from the ashes
8,231 Posts
GymMad said:
A homemade shake :thumbup1:

Whey protein, powderd oats, banana and olive oil :)

I always have two of these a day as im on a budget at the moment and its a quick, cheap easy meal!

Have a good look in the shake recipie section of the forum :thumbup1:
This is also a good suggestion - prob about the cheapest way you can do it, just depends if you ahve time to buy all the sperates, blend them up etc. Can taylor it exactly to your taste though.

·
Newbie Trainer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so if i was to break down what i need in the way of protein, carbs and fat when i weigh 12 stone (168lbs) what would this mean i need in the way of grams of each of the above ?

I hope that makes sense lol

·
5% off myprotein MP269006
2,421 Posts
You should be working out how much food you need for the whole day based on your stats :thumbup1:

Then work your shakes out from that if thats what you mean?

Whats your daily diet like?

·
Newbie Trainer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i mean exactly that, this is all new territory to me so as far as i know i need 1.5 x my bodyweight in protein and carbs ?

and as for everything else i need like fat, fibre, calories etc etc im really not sure about.

Im self employed and rarely get to eat 3 meals a day let alone 6 to 8 so im turning to supps to help me gain size aswell as training 3 x a week.

ive ordered some boditronics mass attack evo and need to know if this is all i need or is extra stuff recommended ? and is so what ?

·
Rising from the ashes
8,231 Posts
Right, here is what I would do if I was you - just my experience of what works with myself and others I have had a hand in.

You are 168lb - I go by bodywieght x 1.8 if assuming you arent vastly fat. so that owuld be a min target of 300ishg of protein per day.

Carbs, no one can tell you what you will need, no formula can tell you - because this is defined by your individual requirements, which are in turn set by many variables, which include your metabolic rate, and your activity levels. You can only start at a guesstimate, and adjust from there depending on what you see over the next few weeks.

my starting ballpark for most people is 250-300g. If you are very active, or have a rocket metabolism, you are going to need more. Basically just watch a combination of the scales and mirror to see what happens. If you don't gain wieght and you aren't getting visibly harder - or are losing weight even - chances are you need to up the carbs a bit. If wieght goes up rapidly, and keeps on going up rapidly, and you are getting softer, then you need to knock it back.

Fats, these are the in thing just now, everyone banging on about getting oil in your shakes and all sorts of pi$h. People don't realise its all been done before, that phase has been and gone and now come round again. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you can manage some whole eggs, some red meat, cheese if you tolerate dairy that type of thing, chances are you will be giving your body plenty to work with.

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
Top posts from rs007 in this thread (repped).

Whole food is in general a good source of nutrition because 'natural food' is the easiest way to get all the nutrients you need - a single meal can have every nutrient you body requires to thrive whereas you'd have to swallow dozens (possibly hundreds) of individual supps to get the same... but in terms of amounts of proteins, carbs, fats etc supplements can be convenient and as part of a mixed diet can add a lot of quality to it.

In general I'd say supplements become most useful in poorly organised/imbalanced diets or diets which require very large amounts of a particular thing, whereas if you are meticulous in your food intake and are able to prepare and eat plenty the need for supps diminishes.

·
EFBB Winner
4,620 Posts
Rams talks a huge amount of sense. Whey protein is the most bioavailable source of protein there is. The only possible thing that whole foods may have on it is absorption rates, but if this is a big issue for you you can just buy a protein blend, which can be just as cheap. For example, bodybuilding warehouse's protein blend, nutrisport 90+, or just blend your own casein and whey. These are still supps, so if you sort out the timing issue (and there's pretty much every protein powder to cover every desired absorption rate now, from hydrolysate to casein), powders are probably more efficiently used by the body, and much more cost effective than egg whites, for example.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.