UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gym Addict
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have been spending a lot of time sorting out a possible workout mainly including a 3 day split.

I just want to know if there is really any point in me doing any weights right now? I am 15stone, 35% bodyfat. However I currently have a big calorie deficit of which I don't intend to become a calorie surplus, my main goal is to get down to about 12.5 stone. I do a lot fo cardio due toa 26 mile a day commute cycle of which comes to about 1600 cals alone 5 days a week. So I won't be going for a calorie surplus.

So my main question as I said was is there really any point me doing weights right now? Considering the deficit and the fact that I am doing so much cardio which surely will bring about a catabolic effect on any muscle mass I could possibly gain anyway?

Am I making any sense lol? I appreciate the fact that weights are very good for fat burning. But when I wreck my muscles and my body goes 'ooo lets repair'. How can it when there is a deficit and constant cardio coming it's way?

Any info or advice would be great.

·
No Compromise :D
13,397 Posts
mate, doing weights will also burn fat and use calories, plus tone you so when the fat does eventually come off, you'll look a lot better doing both CV and weights than just CV....imo anyway...

·
Gym Addict
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even with a deficit and the catabolic effect of 26 mile cycle(about 50mins each way at about 150bpm)?

·
No Compromise :D
13,397 Posts
Mate, I'm no expert at diets or CV, but it will only serve to do good for you, it CANNOT do any harm and you will still build some muscle if you use it.....

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
i think it is worth it as well, although like you, sometimes i wonder if it is working!

I have got stronger, even if my muscles don't seem to be bigger, so the weights work is doing something.

·
Gym Addict
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice Robsta, and I originally approached it with the 'surely anything must be good' attitude, but I started to think more about how in order to repair your muscles you need to feed them with lots of good stuff (ie cal surplus) and allow appropriate time for them repair (i.e. breaks), so when I combined that thinking with my knowledge that excessive (45mins+) of cardio can cause a catabolic effect and actually break down my muscle mass I started to think is there any point me spending an hour at the gym 3 days a week doing weights, If my 5 days of cycling is just gonna ruin it? I'm open to any advice and I thank you Robsta for yours, I think your right and I'm just being paranoid and looking for an excuse to not go to the gym ;)

·
Gym Addict
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slamdog said:
i think it is worth it as well, although like you, sometimes i wonder if it is working!

I have got stronger, even if my muscles don't seem to be bigger, so the weights work is doing something.
Cheers slamdog, always nice to hear people in a similar position. I think muscles get denser before they get bigger aswell, so that would be why they aren't growing yet your feeling stronger

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
why don't you want to go to the gym? I like it, even though I have to be one of the fattest blokes there... I get encouragement from the other lads there and it gets me out of the house... I even like cardio these days....

·
Gym Addict
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not that I don't like the gym, its just i made a stupid mistake of joining the gym (virgin active) that is right next to my work which is 13 miles away. So so many factors affect whether I'm in the mood to go. Say if my planned session is after my shift at work, I'll be all raring to go until suddenly some bollocks happens at work (frequently) that puts me in a bad mood and all I want to do is go home and do fcuk all and sulk. And if I'm at home and feel like the gym, I have to cycle 13 miles to go to it! Although I could drive I guess. I'm really tempted to rejoin the gym I used to go to which si 2 miles from my house. But I can't get out of my virgin contract till january. So I'll be paying 60 quid for 2 memberships :(

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
ahh, now i understand...

I went to a virgin on a free pass a couple of weeks ago.....

it just felt so wrong... I tried training but it just was so crap that I ended up in the steam room...

finding the right gym is half the battle these days, where i used to go was good but where i am now is even better. its a lot more spit and sawdust but it has the right atmosphere which makes me want to go.

·
Gym Addict
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it a more independant gym? I have only ever done the gym at my leisure centre (Everybody Active staines), Fitness First and Virgin

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
pyrowill said:
Is it a more independant gym? I have only ever done the gym at my leisure centre (Everybody Active staines), Fitness First and Virgin
oh yes, a real independant gym...

the owner is there most days actually working the desk or cleaning up. sure, it could do with a lick of paint, sure it could do with some new tubes in some of the lights but the kit is all serviceable, there is no aircon and there is no flashy coffee bar but it is a proper gym.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts