UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Getting Stacked
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always read/been told that T3 was catabolic and i would lose muscle if taking it when not on AAS....

until today... a friend of a friend claims to have taken it for 6 weeks prior to the cycle he is just about to start, says he has kept his calorie intake at maintenaince levels, and has lost 7kg and his arms chest and quads all still measure the same....

i am very sceptical, but thought i would see what others views were.

·
Banned
14,412 Posts
Exogenous T3 has been proven to enhance muscle protein catabolism while on a low calorie diet.

There are only a few clinical studies done on the catabolic effects of T3.

Most anecdotal evidence however, states that T3 is not catabolic.

As usual, i'll sit on the clinical side of the fence.

·
EFBB Winner
3,552 Posts
7kg's of fat (if it is indeed fat hes lost) is 50,000+ cals.

The T3 alone wouldn't cause such increased expenditure, even if we speculate a high dose.

Most likely he has cleaned up his diet (even if his cals are the same) and lost a substantial amount of water.

Ask him his daily breakdown for carbs, fats and protein prior to and during the t3 usage. I could be wrong but I bet you he wont know ;)

·
Getting Stacked
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was on 75mcg per day (Cynomel), 3000 - 3500 cals per day, doesnt have proper measurements for back and shoulders but says he still thinks there as big, lost 2 1/2'' from waist. Training was 4 day split with 2HIIT 30mins inc 5min warm up and down.

Im now thinking of trying 50mcg per day before my next cycle in the new year, and strictly monitoring measurements.... if i start to lose much muscle will stop... if not, then up it to 75mcg... unless i get flamed for this... im assuming that if i start losing muscle and stop, im at risk of gaining a little weight whilst waiting for natural production to kick back in? I guess im asking any of you think there is much chance of this working before i try it....

Ive been reading back over past posts on here and I see you (Paul) say there is no need to taper up or down...

·
Getting Stacked
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aftershock - he has a record of everything he has eaten... i will try and get it and work it out.

Basically, i dont like the guy, but he is in very good shape, and my training partner takes everything he says as the gospel. And wants to do everything he does. I have built up a fair ammount of knowledge thanks larglely to the guys on this forum of which i would like to take this opportunity to thank you all. This guy knows nothing about what he is taking, he hears of someone else taking stuff and just pops it down or shoots it with no understanding. (not that i think i know it all, far from it).

I believe there is some truth in what he is saying, he clearly gets results. Some of it is surely water, but the 2 1/2'' off the waist is what it is.

(sorry for ranting).

·
EFBB Winner
3,552 Posts
Im not knocking it mate, but I would just be warry of accepting what he has siad to be 100% truthful.

People often lie (or neglect to tell the full picture) about what they are taking so as to appear in a better light.

If you are 100% set on trying it go for 25mcg ed to start.

12.5mcg is actually anabolic on its own without gear as it increases you protein turnover rate and ability to absorb protein.

I have been as high as 25mcg without gear while keeping the protein high.

I wouldn't start straight in at 50mcg without gear. The thing with t3 is that its not really going to give you anything just manipulating your diet alone wont do. It really comes into its own when on cycle any trying to get down into single digit BF levels.

·
Read Only
35,527 Posts
2 1/2 inches off his waist is actually preety easy to do by just altering diet and adding cardio to a training regime....

i am sure the guy looks good but there is no way he did not lose any muscle sorry i just do not buy it...

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
Was he on gear while on T3?

15.4 lbs and 2.5" off his waist?

That would be 6.16 lbs per inch on the waist, that actually is not very good.

When I was on a keto diet I lost 1" for every 4 lbs of bodyweight.

On the zone diet (I felt awesome on this one), I lost 1" for every 5 pounds.

Your buddy lost more muscle than he knows and lost more muscle and less fat than a conventional diet.

If he was on gear those numbers would not be too good.

I would not believe everything people say, that is not impressive as far as a loss.

As Aftershock suggested 12.5 T3 is anabolic, 25 mcg may or may not be catabolic.

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
Here is an old post by my doctor buddy Scally:

Normal for a TSH test has a wide range. Although there is this wide range I would definitely recommend against taking thyroid on your own. For a number of reasons but two come immediately to mind. The first is that it is easy to become hyperthyroid. The side effects of hyperthyroidism are not pleasant the least of which is irritability. The second is that despite what many may say hyperthyroidism is not associated with fat loss alone. In fact the studies show that for every 2 pounds of fat loss you will lose a pound of muscle. Either of these reasons would be enough to not self medicate. I think a good course of action might be to arm yourself with some good studies that speak to the range of TSH for normal and then inquire as to an adjustment for yourself to move to the range of 1-1.5.

Mike

·
Getting Stacked
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a look at his diet, and basically he was carb cycling.

Im not going to run any T3 now. Will do next cycle purely for muscle gains.... then ideally try 6 months on HGH thru spring and summer to try and keep size and lean up. If cant do this, then the following cycle will be using AAS to keep my muscle while dieting hard and may think about bringing in T3 at that point... but thats a fair way off, concentrate on 1 cycle at a time for now.

Cheers for advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts