UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

IS MY FLAX OIL GONE OFF

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  B-GJOE 
#1 ·
I have just started a bottle or Holland Barret flax oil and compared to the Granovita flax oil it has a really pungent taste and smell. The granovita was pretty bland tasting but the new one is very pungent.

Have I got some off flax?

#14 ·
If it tastes wrong then it probably is Galt... they should give you ane exchange easy enough am sure. :)

Flax goes off pretty quickly... I remember a study on milled flax seed which showed that even when properly packaged in air tight cellophane within just a few hours of milling the seed, 28 days later a significant proportion of the fatty acids had gone rancid.

The biggest excellerant of rancidity for fatty acids in stored bottled oils is light rather than heat...when not talking about cooking, constant exposure to strong light is a major catalyst of the reaction that makes the oil rancid, being able to transfer more total energy over time than a merely 'warm' environment... while rancidity occurs faster when exposed to air also, the light still has an effect without air. I always marvel at the 'healthy oils' supermarkets sell, all in nice clear bottles exposed to bright light for eighteen hours a day... :no:

#15 ·
Thanks mate

Im not sure what flax should taste like but the granovita one was bland tasting, could not taste it in a shake but this stuff has no colour to it and is really strong to smell and taste.

They said they will exchange it for something else in store. I have 9 bottles so i guess i will get the eqivalent to spend in store for the exchange

#16 ·
To be honest I've never had flax without it being mixed with soemthing else so don't know what it should taste like in isolation... have always thought of it as mildly buttery though, so would be wary of any that tastes very strong in a different kind of way.

#18 ·
Galtonator said:
Tony when you buy the oil online it comes unchilled how long is it ok out of the cold? As id imagine its not stored buy the online suppliers chileld
They should do - it's something we stipulate to all our customers.

The odd day here and there is fine for out of the fridge, the issue comes about when its weeks/months ambient stored.

Any returns we get that we can't guarantee haven't been left ambient for more than 5 days (may be 4? Not my dept!) doesn't get resold, we use it here instead.

#22 ·
sizar said:
I don't think oil go off mate..
You're joking right?

Most polyunsaturates will go rancid very quickly if not kept cold and dark. Do you realise how sensitive polyunsaturated oils are???

Most of the commercial crap sold is rancid before you even buy it.

A polyunsaturated oil must be cold pressed, and once opened kept in the fridge away from bright light. Abuse polyunsaturated oils, and pay the price of toxic oxidated free radical rancid fats.

That's why you're much safer with saturated fats, now they don't tend to go off very easily at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.