UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I had my first workout at the gym last night for the first time in a year and a half! My main goal is to tone up all over, particularly my arms and tummy, losing about 6-8 pounds in the process (I'm 5ft 2" and weigh 8st 12).

This was my workout, not sure if it's good enough though so any input would be much appreciated;

20 mins treadmill (running and walking, not quite fit enough to endure the whole 20 mins running yet!)

3 sets 40 stomach crunches

3 sets 12 bicep curls (4kg)

3 sets 12 tricep machine thing (dont know what it's called! 25kg i think)

3 sets 12 arm machine (yes I know I sound like an idiot, but I don't know what its called! You sit and push the two handles out in front of you? works your arms anyway lol)

3 sets leg extensions (30kg)

I really didn't feel as though I'd pushed myself enough though but not sure what else I need to be doing?

I've changed my diet too, had bran flakes with skimmed milk this morning, have a yoghurt for later on and a ham salad sandwhich on wholegrain bread for lunch. Tonight I'll have chicken with veg and maybe a couple of new potatoes, but I am paranoid about eating too many carbs.

Sorry to be boring you with this, just wanted to write down what I'm up to in case I'm doing it all wrong!

Thanks for your help and support guys:)

Kerrie.

·
Bad Mother Fuker
22,718 Posts
There's a smashing section called "getting started" on here, lot's of good info.

Getting your cv fitness and core strength and stamina up for a few month - 1 year is probably the way to go with some treadmill/cycling as you're doing along with some big compound movements (squat, bench, deads), keep the weight light enough for a good 14 - 16 reps for a bird I'd say, you don't want murder to start with.

Introducing good form/habits now and remember the main thing about training.

It's fun!

·
Gobby
10,535 Posts
There are plenty of more experienced people than me on here, but initial thoughts are that you need to train your whole body, not isolate the bits you don't like.

Currently you're trining abs, arms and quads.

To look balanced, you'll need to add back, chest, shoulders and hamstrings into that.

So a full body workout might look like:

Chest press

Incline flyes

Lat pulldown

Cable row

Shoulder press

Lateral raise

Leg press

Leg curl

Calf raises

Bicep curl

Tricep pressdowns

Ab work

There are plenty of sections on here that should be able to help you out or read some of the journals and blogs to see what other people are doing :)

·
Boditronics pocket size stud.
3,719 Posts
for a bird? seriously mate have a little respect.

I'd change it completely. I appreciate there are areas you wish to work but there is no point in simple isolating them. Do a split routine and train each muscle seperately, big group + small group.

back and biceps, chest and tricpes, quads hams and calves, shoulders. I'd aim for 15 reps on each exercise 3 sets max. You're not going to turn muscly unless you diet for that look so don't panic.

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
kezzerEFC said:
Hi All

I had my first workout at the gym last night for the first time in a year and a half! My main goal is to tone up all over, particularly my arms and tummy, losing about 6-8 pounds in the process (I'm 5ft 2" and weigh 8st 12).

This was my workout, not sure if it's good enough though so any input would be much appreciated;

20 mins treadmill (running and walking, not quite fit enough to endure the whole 20 mins running yet!)

3 sets 40 stomach crunches Perform abs at the end of your workout

3 sets 12 bicep curls (4kg)

3 sets 12 tricep machine thing (dont know what it's called! 25kg i think)

3 sets 12 arm machine (yes I know I sound like an idiot, but I don't know what its called! You sit and push the two handles out in front of you? works your arms anyway lol) Chest Press ha ha

3 sets leg extensions (30kg) You only worked your quads here, you could imbalance yourself this way eventually

Yep a classic ladies gym routine, all isolation :) No problem Kez, everyone does it, you wont get much in the way of functional strength from these and you will get few results unfrotunately. These machines were designed for and are ok for rehab or pre-exhausting a muscle or isolating a weak body part.

I really didn't feel as though I'd pushed myself enough though but not sure what else I need to be doing?

I've changed my diet too, had bran flakes with skimmed milk this morning, have a yoghurt for later on and a ham salad sandwhich on wholegrain bread for lunch. Tonight I'll have chicken with veg and maybe a couple of new potatoes, but I am paranoid about eating too many carbs.

Yes too many carbs could turn to fat unless you up your cardio, but dont get too paranoid, you are also not eating very much and no fruit.

Sorry to be boring you with this, just wanted to write down what I'm up to in case I'm doing it all wrong! Not boring at all, you are new to this and we love to help.

Thanks for your help and support guys:)

Kerrie.
Hey Kez,

You really need a trainer or an experienced training partner. The exercises you chose are ok, but will not give you great results in terms of physique and health!

The exercises you should be doing are unfortunately pretty tricky to perform and should be done under supervision if you have never tried them before, I will list them here but dont do them without an experienced spotter or trainer.

Squats or Dumbell Lunges 2 x 10-12

Straight Leg Dead Lifts (just use the bar as weight when starting this) 2 x 10-12

Flat Bench Dumbell Press 2x 10-12

Bent Over Row or Barbell Row 2 x 10-12

Ab Crunches

Do this workout twice a week. On off days, perform your cardio, 45 mins maximum at moderate intensity 2-3 sessions per week or perform an exercise class such as body pump, RPM etc

So your week could look like this:

Mon Train

Tues Cardio

Wed Rest

Thur Train

Fri Cardio

Sat Body Pump etc

Sun Rest

You will need to increase your calories with a higher protein diet and eat 6 small meals a day. At your size that means eating 2,500 clas per day approximately to gain muscle and 1,900 cals per day to lose fat (and some muscle). 2,200 cals for maintenance. Spread over 6 meals this is 416 cals per meal for muscle gain, 316 cals per meal for weight loss.

Aim to spread your calories over a ratio of 40/40/20 Protein/Carbs/Fat. You will need a moderate carb intake to fuel your cardio and prevent hypoglycaemia. Post for a diet in the relevant section or follow the examples already posted but within your calories intake.

To record your calories and ratios of fats etc, you can use Fitday from Fitday.com which is adequate.

Until you have a trainer or a good spotter these are an inferior alternative:

Horizontal or Vertical leg press

Hamstring Curls

Chest Press

Seated Cable Row

Ab Crunches

Stick to the programme as written for 6 weeks, do not deviate no matter what you read or are adviced, it WILL work, you will succeed, but 100% adherance is the only way for it to do so. DOnt be temted to do more, this is more than enough to start with.

hth

SD

·
Bad Mother Fuker
22,718 Posts
Littleluke said:
for a bird? seriously mate have a little respect.
Birds, blokes, male, female. No disrespect meant in common UK vernacular mate.

I don't think a female beginner would gain anything by grunting out reps to fail at the 6 - 8 range I'd be aiming at.

·
Newbie Trainer
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SD - Thanks so much! That's exactly what I need so I will follow your routine for 6 weeks as you've said and will keep you updated, although I am worried about consuming 1900 calories a day, I'm not eating that now so won't I put weight on? I'll start eating more fruit and protein too, but I think I'll struggle to eat when I'm not exactly hungry, is this normal at first?

Thanks everyone for all of your advice, and to Luke 'Seriously mate have some respect' - that's funny :thumb:

I'm goin the gym tonight so will give it a good go. Regarding a trainer, I can't afford to hire someone and I was always told that gym attendants aren't the best people to ask - is this true? Living down in London means I don't really know anyone I could work out with who is experienced in all this, is it possible for me to be able to do it on my own?

·
Gobby
10,535 Posts
kezzerEFC said:
SD - Thanks so much! That's exactly what I need so I will follow your routine for 6 weeks as you've said and will keep you updated, although I am worried about consuming 1900 calories a day, I'm not eating that now so won't I put weight on? You shouldn't be so hung up on weight. Not that you're particularly heavy anyway. Muscle is denser than fat so once you start dropping fat and building more muscle, your weight may well stay the same but your clothes will get looser....I'll start eating more fruit and protein too, but I think I'll struggle to eat when I'm not exactly hungry, is this normal at first? Yes it is. 1900kcal isn't loads of food - women are recommended to eat 2000 a day so if your metabolism is normal and you're training hard, you shouldn't get fat

Thanks everyone for all of your advice, and to Luke 'Seriously mate have some respect' - that's funny :thumb:

I'm goin the gym tonight so will give it a good go. Regarding a trainer, I can't afford to hire someone and I was always told that gym attendants aren't the best people to ask - is this true? Living down in London means I don't really know anyone I could work out with who is experienced in all this, is it possible for me to be able to do it on my own?
WHether the gym attendants are good to ask depends on the sort of gym you go to, and the shape the trainers are in. Many commercial gyms get women doing strange and bizarre isolation exercises that do no real good at all, but there can be the odd trainer who has a clue....

·
5,868 Posts
kezzerEFC said:
SD - Thanks so much! That's exactly what I need so I will follow your routine for 6 weeks as you've said and will keep you updated, although I am worried about consuming 1900 calories a day, I'm not eating that now so won't I put weight on? I'll start eating more fruit and protein too, but I think I'll struggle to eat when I'm not exactly hungry, is this normal at first?

The 1900 cals is a rough guide, these first weeks are about learning from your body. If you follow the programme as wrote, you will burn through these calories and they will keep your metabolism high! Eat less and all your body will do is turn the thermostat down to compensate, it wont burn extra fat.

Increase your cals cleanly and slowly so you dont overload your digestion, which will result in bloating and wind. Its normal to not be hungry at first, you have taught your body to accept small meals. Put your diet up in the diets section and we will look at that too, but avoid supplements if you can, with so few cals to eat, you should get it from healthy whole food although if you really are struggling, a Meal replacement powder would not be going over the top.

The calorie estimate was based on my guess at your age (dont ask) and a total guess at your activity levels. To work it out more accurately yourself, go to http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html for information there are 14lbs in a stone and 12 inches in a foot to aid your calculations. Just subtract 300 from the final figure for weight loss, add 300 for weight gain, then watch the scales and adjust calories accordingly (give it time though)

Make the gym instructors work for a living and get them to demonstrate the exercises. Your right they often arent very good, but these are core exercises that they should know. If in doubt do not do them! TBH if a young lady came up to me with a list of exercises like those above and asked if I could help show her them I would be pleased as punch :D so you may be better off finding a muscular guy and asking them, they will definately know. Do not do the first list of exercises on your own, you could hurt yourself and not be able to train, or it may just put you off. Many people here from London put out a shout to the ladies in the powder room but be aware everyone has there own way of training, dont veer from the path, stick with this it WILL work.

Glad to help Kez, keep the questions coming and get your diet up!

SD

·
Newbie Trainer
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's really great advice guys thanks so much!

WHether the gym attendants are good to ask depends on the sort of gym you go to, and the shape the trainers are in. Many commercial gyms get women doing strange and bizarre isolation exercises that do no real good at all, but there can be the odd trainer who has a clue....

I'm at the local sports centre, and the staff there aren't exactly buff, so I think I'll follow your advice SD and ask one of the 'bigger' guys in the gym - are you sure they won't mind me asking?! I'll feel like a fool if they tell me to get lost, I think I was the only girl in there last night so its quite intimidating when you're surrounded by meat-heads haha!

It's an OK gym, lots of cardio equipment but more free weights than machines so I'll ask the advice of someone in there and hopefully they can help me out. I'm really pleased with the regime you've laid out for me up there SD, so I'll print off a copy and take it with me :)

Thanks again! x

·
5,868 Posts
kezzerEFC said:
Oh and I'm 24, 8stone 12, 5ft 2".

I just used the calculator and it gives me this;

1368 BMR

1083 Activity

2451 Total Calories - Is this what I need to consume?!!
No, you need to subtract 300 cals from that for a good weight loss diet. So that brings you down to 2100 cals, remember you are increasing your activity if you do the programme as wrote so these cals are nothing really. I eat that before lunch! :thumb:

Eat clean healthy food to make this figure and it will increase your metabolism and well being ,not go on as fat. Diet should be monitored after four weeks to see progress, I suggest you take as many tape measure readings as possible and also get a BF% caliper from E-Bay (only £10) otherwise your progress will only be guesswork at best, based on what you see in the mirror.

Stay motivated, the effort it will take to attain these readings will pay dividends later on, giving you goals to work to and providing a tangible way to measure your success!

SD

·
5,868 Posts
kezzerEFC said:
I'm at the local sports centre, and the staff there aren't exactly buff, so I think I'll follow your advice SD and ask one of the 'bigger' guys in the gym - are you sure they won't mind me asking?! I'll feel like a fool if they tell me to get lost, I think I was the only girl in there last night so its quite intimidating when you're surrounded by meat-heads haha!
Blokes are only intimidating to other blokes as a rule, we are all suckers for a cute smile and would only be too happy to help. Bbers in a gym only get annoyed with girls who take up the equipment but spend most of that time chatting or pushing such a ridiculous low weight that they dont even break a sweat (bring a gym towel btw).

I would avoid a Bber wearing an IPOD, they generally do that to keep focus and dont want to be disturbed, also dont ask them mid bench press or something lol :tongue:

Guys in gyms look serious but they will be chuffed to be asked, if they arent, then they are gay! :laugh:

SD

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
london is a big place...

if you could narrow it down a bit then you may find that someone from here already trains at your gym... if you are really lucky it could be one of the female members of the board.. that way you would get someone to show you correct form as well as giving you some encouragement.

·
Newbie Trainer
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha - SD, you are funny! I'll be sure to stay away from the gay/busy/focused guys then :) Thanks so much for being so supportive.

Slamdog - I'm in Hornchurch, Essex (outskirts of London) It's a small place but I'm sure there will be someone on here from Romford perhaps, I'll keep my eyes peeled, thanks!

OK well I've just started a Journal under the member pictures bit, so I'll keep posting on there to show progress etc...

I'll take some photo's tonight and load them on as soon as I can (If I have the guts ;-p)

Thanks again everyone, especially SD, your advice has been amazing. My brother is on here and could really do with some help if you have any for him, but he has different goals to me. His profile is RazzerEFC (We're not a sad family with the same name, I copied for a joke lol) and he's just posted his photo's on so would appreciate all the help he can get, hope you don't mind me asking.

Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.