UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Looks like pap to me mate.

Lots of buzz exercises and not much substance.

Your not doing enough of the 'big' lifts:

Squat

Deadlift

Bench

Row

Chins - pullups

Dips

Military press
 

·
Vanity is a Sin
Joined
·
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mikex101 said:
Looks like pap to me mate.

Lots of buzz exercises and not much substance.

Your not doing enough of the 'big' lifts:

Squat

Deadlift

Bench

Row

Chins - pullups

Dips

Military press
was sort of the point, change things for a couple of months, i do all them lifts on heavy cycle, in fact i am doing squats still, db bench press instead of bb, don't do d/lift due to back, dips are in there, db ohead press is in there hmm, don't mean to sound ungrateful but did you read the workout:confused1:
 
G

·
lol, i saw machine mentioned a few times and squat once every 8-9 days and jumped to a conclusion bud.

I have read it, i still dont rate it. not enough legs/fullbody lifts IMO.

If your looking for a change and looking to cut, why not look at circuits and complexes rather than relying on machines. This is canny http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1589833
 

·
Vanity is a Sin
Joined
·
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mikex101 said:
lol, i saw machine mentioned a few times and squat once every 8-9 days and jumped to a conclusion bud.

I have read it, i still dont rate it. not enough legs/fullbody lifts IMO.

If your looking for a change and looking to cut, why not look at circuits and complexes rather than relying on machines. This is canny http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1589833
:D Thanks mike, will check out the link, some of the machines are pretty good in our gym, not your usual cr4p, tbh i like the change i'm getting i'm just not sure about the volume, seem pretty shagged lately, normally 1 or 2 body parts at most per workout, 10-12 low rep sets per large bp, 6 on smaller bp's, odd max out on compounds, started with 4 sets 12 on squat yesterday and tbh i was wasted after em, just wanted another opinion, thanks again:beer:
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
17 Posts
There is no need to deviate from a heavy freeweight training program when dieting. Machines didn't build the muscle - they are not going to keep it.

Get back to training with the big lifts - focus on compound movements and bb/db exercises. I rarely use machines and I have been at both ends of the spectrum 20%+ bf and 6%

Cardio and diet is the key to success not changing from heavy training to machine based training.

Don
 

·
Vanity is a Sin
Joined
·
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
d0nny2600 said:
There is no need to deviate from a heavy freeweight training program when dieting. Machines didn't build the muscle - they are not going to keep it.

Get back to training with the big lifts - focus on compound movements and bb/db exercises. I rarely use machines and I have been at both ends of the spectrum 20%+ bf and 6%

Cardio and diet is the key to success not changing from heavy training to machine based training.

Don
Don, thanks for the input mate, its not machine based training, there aren't that many machines in the routine (the press machines are similar to nautilus ones, the name escapes me at mo), its more the number of reps and sets i've changed, I don't like machines at all but they must have a use for mixing it up a bit, I generally do use the above method you suggest and in the past its worked a treat, just this time i seem to be knackered and the workouts are taking too long, over 1 hour which I don't think is beneficial.
 

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
Are you doing legs twice per week???

This is what i do and I couldnt recommend it enough:

Mon: Chest, Biceps

Tue: Legs

Wed: Rest

Thurs: Shoulders, Triceps

Fri: Rest

Sat: Back, Calves

The way this is split means you get a lot of rest time. there is no 2 upper body workouts in a row. I find this has helped me a lot.

If this workout is any intrest to you let me know and I can write more precisely what i do if it helps.
 

·
HULK SMASH!!!
Joined
·
8,498 Posts
willsey4 said:
Are you doing legs twice per week???

This is what i do and I couldnt recommend it enough:

Mon: Chest, Biceps

Tue: Legs

Wed: Rest

Thurs: Shoulders, Triceps

Fri: Rest

Sat: Back, Calves

The way this is split means you get a lot of rest time. there is no 2 upper body workouts in a row. I find this has helped me a lot.

If this workout is any intrest to you let me know and I can write more precisely what i do if it helps.
That is workout that i mostly use, except i train fridays not sat as i like whole weekend off.

Very good split IMO:thumbup1:
 

·
HULK SMASH!!!
Joined
·
8,498 Posts
Day 1 chest\bicep

4 sets bench press

4 sets incline dumbell press

Bicep

3 sets standing barbell curls

2 stes dumbell preacher

Day 2 legs

4 sets squat

2 leg extension

2 thigh curl

Day 3 shoulders\tricep

3 sets seated dumbel press

2 sets lat raises

2 sets rear delts

Tricep

3 sets lying tricep extensio

2 sets push downs


Day 4 BACK


4 sets Deadlift\bent over rows alternate each week

3 sets close grip chins

calves

whatever
 

·
Vanity is a Sin
Joined
·
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
willsey4 said:
Are you doing legs twice per week???

This is what i do and I couldnt recommend it enough:

Mon: Chest, Biceps

Tue: Legs

Wed: Rest

Thurs: Shoulders, Triceps

Fri: Rest

Sat: Back, Calves

The way this is split means you get a lot of rest time. there is no 2 upper body workouts in a row. I find this has helped me a lot.

If this workout is any intrest to you let me know and I can write more precisely what i do if it helps.
jw007 said:
That is workout that i mostly use, except i train fridays not sat as i like whole weekend off.

Very good split IMO:thumbup1:
Thanks guys, can i reiterate that I normally follow a similar split to this, the original workout above is a shake up workout that I employ every 2 or 3 months for about 5 or 6 wks, just to mix things up a bit. I've now changed it so i get another day off and train each bp 2 times in 9 days, still repping 12's

Sun Ch/sh/Tri 1

Monday Abs/cardio

Tue Legs/Bck/Bi 2

Wed Day off

Thur Ch/Sh/Tri 3

Fri Abs/Cardio

Sat Day off

Sun Legs/Bck/Bi 4

Then start afresh on the Tuesday with Ch/Sh/Tri 1 and follow on, will keep this up for another 4 weeks and then go to 1 bp per day split over 7 days.

Thanks again guys, J sorry to hear about the bicep mate, have a good holiday:beer:
 

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
tel3563 said:
Thanks guys, can i reiterate that I normally follow a similar split to this, the original workout above is a shake up workout that I employ every 2 or 3 months for about 5 or 6 wks, just to mix things up a bit. I've now changed it so i get another day off and train each bp 2 times in 9 days, still repping 12's

Sun Ch/sh/Tri 1

Monday Abs/cardio

Tue Legs/Bck/Bi 2

Wed Day off

Thur Ch/Sh/Tri 3

Fri Abs/Cardio

Sat Day off

Sun Legs/Bck/Bi 4

Then start afresh on the Tuesday with Ch/Sh/Tri 1 and follow on, will keep this up for another 4 weeks and then go to 1 bp per day split over 7 days.

Thanks again guys, J sorry to hear about the bicep mate, have a good holiday:beer:
The above seems way to much. Mixing it up is always good but dont double up
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top