UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gym Addict
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to this and have only been training approx 4 months.

I am 6ft 1 and 22 years old.

4 Months ago i was 180lbs. I am now just over 200lbs.

I have been eating between 3000 - 3500 cals per day. I have been using weight gainer supplements to assist me. I have been eating more healthy than i ever have before but looking at some other diet plans, not healthy enough and this is where i have made my mistake.

However i feel happy with the muscle/strength gains i have made over the last 4 months. But i have now got a flabby and constantly bloated belly which i have never had before.

I need some advice. What should i do?

Slim down loose the belly and then trying bulking properly with a proper diet plan?

Or continue bulking but with a proper diet plan?

I want to gain more muscle but want to loose this flabby belly.

Any help is appreciated, im new so be easy on me.

·
Newbie Trainer
2 Posts
InC, hope you don't think i'm hijacking your thread but I just came to this forum to make a post essentially identical to yours.

I'm 22, 6ft5 and currently weigh about 13stone. Did weigh near enough 14 stone after 6 months of weight lifting but I spent 6 weeks in germany this summer and, since I shed weight, dropped a stone. For the past 3 months I've been weightlifting and eating a lot again and have the exact same problem: stomach is getting flabby and bloated (i am seeing strength gains and size gains though, for example, in my legs)

I eat fairly healthily: alot of chicken, salmon, tuna, rice, potatoes, fruit etc.

What's the reason for this belly fat (im not fat elsewhere at all)? Is it because i'm not working out enough or something else?

Cheers,

·
EFBB Winner
3,850 Posts
InC said:
I have been using weight gainer supplements to assist me. I have been eating more healthy than i ever have before but looking at some other diet plans, not healthy enough and this is where i have made my mistake.
klep said:
I eat fairly healthily: alot of chicken, salmon, tuna, rice, potatoes, fruit etc.
Hello and welcome guys :)

It seems you both have the same problem and are both doing the same things wrong.

First off,cut out the weight gainers - normally full of unwanted sugars.

They can be replaced with a blended protein powder and fine oats/healthy oils or fats.

Secondly,your diet has to very good,as you are eating alot more than the average joe,your choices need to be cleaner and wiser.

Base meals around lean proteins and complex carbs and/or healthy fats.

Are either of you doing any cardio?

Have you got a good training/recovery plan?

·
Gym Addict
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i wasnt doing cardio because people said if you are bulking you shouldnt. Is that crap?

Recovery plan erm... All i do at the moment is drink a protein shake or eat some tuna straight after the gym.

·
EFBB Winner
3,850 Posts
InC said:
No i wasnt doing cardio because people said if you are bulking you shouldnt. Is that crap?

Recovery plan erm... All i do at the moment is drink a protein shake or eat some tuna straight after the gym.
1 - Yes,especially when you're getting fat :)

2 - By training/recovery i meant days on and off training

Post up a full days diet so i've got an idea how bad things are :)

·
Gym Addict
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it was....

7am wheetabix x3 a semi skimmed milk 400ml

10am x3 scrambled eggs on x2 toast

1pm prawn sandwich (packaged one) and 500 cal weight gainer

4 pm griiled chicken in a baguette

8pm weight gainer

10pm whey protein and can on tuna

·
Gym Addict
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wrote myself a new plan today. Please tell me what you think.

7am 50gram oats 200ml skimmed milk with one scoop of whey protein. With strawberries

10am 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, 2 wholemeal slices of toast

1pm one or two cans of tuna, 50gram pasta

4pm beef steak, peas, carrots and broccolie with Rice and banana after

8pm grilled chicken in baguette 2 scoops of whey protein

10pm natural yogurt, 1 scoop of whey protein.

Please tell me how i should adjust it. I can eat anything.

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
Hi

Just wondered, do you know what your BF% is, now and then? I too am a newbie and the research I am doing seems to indicate that you need a caloric excess to bulk, then a caloric deficit to cut. A little bit of 'flab' maybe a necessary evil when trying to gain lean mass. It's very challenging to grow muscle and lose body fat at the same time. Grow muscle (and a little bit of fat), then cut your diet and lose fat (and a little bit of muscle). Trying to do both at the same time may lead to small muscle gains and small fat loss.

Cheers

LD

·
Gym Addict
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know how to measure my body fat percentage. I just used some online thing which said i have gotn 17.8% bodyfat. Dont know how accurate that is.

Before i started the gym and eating alot i use to have a 6 pack but was very very skiny with it.

·
Newbie Trainer
61 Posts
If you are bulking up and your BF% is truly 17% then you're not doing too bad. Get mass first, then cut.

If you want to know your bf% get some bodyfat calipers from Amazon for about a tenner, and/or get some weighing scales that measure bf as well.

Cheers

LD

·
Gym Addict
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LordDecider said:
If you are bulking up and your BF% is truly 17% then you're not doing too bad. Get mass first, then cut.

If you want to know your bf% get some bodyfat calipers from Amazon for about a tenner, and/or get some weighing scales that measure bf as well.

Cheers

LD
Cheers for the advice. Ill do that, thanks

·
alabbadi
79 Posts
It is confusing because i am almost in the same position as the two guys who put on weight.

I have trained for over 5 years now and my weight has almost been constant, maybe up or down a few kilos but nothing major. it seemed like i was reaching stalemate my strength is ok but i wasn,t happy with my size. so seeking advice from this forum some said that i need to each around 7000 calories a day to put on mass.

we all know if you don't each enough we cannot build muscle. i was eating around 3000 calories a day before so i tried increasing my calorie intake.

i have been doing this for a week and find it difficult to increase calories without drinking a protein weight gainer. it is too difficult to sit down and eat 1000 calorie meal its just too much, so the shake is easier.

well to tell you the truth only a week in it seems that i have gained 2 kilos in weight but it looks like it is all going to my stomach, it has noticeably increased and bloated.

i am just confused when everyone tells you something different.

one says eat a lot and when you reach the size you want then reduce your calorie intake to shape the muscles and lose excess fat

and others keep telling you to eat low fat. I would just a ppreciate some proper advice because it it frustrating me

·
Gym Addict
159 Posts
A "maintenance diet" which is one which keeps you weight the same can be assessed by taking your weight in pounds and multiplying it by 14. This is you calorie intake. Of course its not exact but much more and you're gonna put on weight and less, you lose it. Also make certain that you divide your calories into carbs and protein. Protein builds muscle, carbs are fuel for your WOs.

·
Gym Addict
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Madeira Jon said:
A "maintenance diet" which is one which keeps you weight the same can be assessed by taking your weight in pounds and multiplying it by 14. This is you calorie intake. Of course its not exact but much more and you're gonna put on weight and less, you lose it. Also make certain that you divide your calories into carbs and protein. Protein builds muscle, carbs are fuel for your WOs.
So for example i am 200 pounds. So 200 x 14 is 2800. I should eat at least 2800 to keep my body weight the same?

·
Gym Addict
404 Posts
All trial and error.. keep your head up and be open to changing things in your diet.

What suites one, doesnt suite all .

Remember to play around with the carb timing and ammount taken.

Get your cardio in also which will help alot..

train hard mate :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.