UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hiding my head in the sand for a long time now and the stress is now too hard to live with!

I've got less money coming in than going out and to top it off I've just got an attachment to earnings from the council tax :( they're going to take £700 pm for 3 months till the arrears are gone and I won't even be able to afford gas and electric let alone the petrol to get to work for this period!!!

Any advice chaps?

Rob

·
I... See... Dead... Celebrities
147 Posts
If you go and see them ASAP and explain everything they should be able to break it down into more digestible payments. I found it wasn't my debts per-say that were an issue, it was going out takeaway and other [email protected] If you write things down you'll start saving loads of money, time to sell of some [email protected] layin around too?

Good luck mate

·
Getting HUGE!
1,393 Posts
Speak to these guys- www.cccs.co.uk

They are a government funded (so free) debt advisory service. I got into a whole heap of sh*t financially and they helped me sort everything out.

If you really are in a negative cashflow position, I'm surprised they got that attachement to earnings order as usually this is based on spare income...

·
Premium Member
22,718 Posts
yeah you need to sit down with someone and get it all down on paper, what comes in and what comes out.

They'll help you trim off stuff that you simply do not need when you can't afford it and they'll help you negotiate realistic ways of paying everything back or if needed they'll help you go insolvent (bankrupt) - if your debts are bad enough.

It would be difficult for any harder advice on here without details and I'm sure you don't want to post the details here

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
good advice offered so far.

dont forget that the people you owe money too want you to pay it back. they dont want to refer you to a debt collection agency as then they will loose out.

it is in their interest for you to be able to repay the money and if you approach them in the correct manner they will most likely try to make it easier for you.

·
Gym Addict
129 Posts
As above

Request payments over a longer period

Write own all your monthly expenditure - everything, not just what you think you spend

Remove everything you can

Downgrade everything

- cheaper car + cheaper running costs

- cheaper phone bills

- Only use heating for hot water

- Plan all supermarket spending - opt for the cheapest 'value' ranges

Plan all your spending and cut out anything you don't need

I did this 3 years ago when I was saving to start a business. Once you look at what you actually spend it's completely different to what you think you spend. Money on popping to the shop, a couple of beers, a takeaway, a subway or macdonalds soon adds up to several hundred pounds a month.

·
Looking Freaky
757 Posts
Sure somebody will recommend someone to see but I'd of thought CAB would be a good place to start

Try and change the repayments to the council if you can

Some things to consider -

Change mortgage

change utility suppliers

change phone companies/internet

You can get one of those reader things for electricity for free so you can see how much you're using at all times and thus reduce it

check you're getting all the benefits available to you (think they have one on moneysavingexpert)

be stricter with food shopping a lot of the cost of our food bill is the added extras we pick up on way round which we don't need. Also allowing food to go out of date is a waste of money clearly.

If you have sky, as a thread on here said, phone them and tell them you can't afford it and they'll reduce it to half price for 6 months if you say you'll have to cancel

Probably already considered these but just in case.

·
Confused as hell, but getting there.
28 Posts
Will101 said:
Speak to these guys- www.cccs.co.uk

They are a government funded (so free) debt advisory service. I got into a whole heap of sh*t financially and they helped me sort everything out.

If you really are in a negative cashflow position, I'm surprised they got that attachement to earnings order as usually this is based on spare income...
Seconded, they are also a charity and will seriously help you out. :cool2:

·
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, just phoned the cccs and they've really put my mind at rest! Looks like a tough road but there's light at the end of the tunnel :)

Thanks for your time

Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.