UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gym Addict
111 Posts
MaKaVeLi said:
I wouldnt even bother with it, i doubt you'll lose much if your diet is good anyway
Honestly?

Wow, if thats true then fair enough, I'm surprised though.

One of my concerns is I often have to go to places where there are no gyms and its hard to train but its only for maybe 8 weeks max at a time.

You think I shouldn't lose much from 8 weeks of not training?

Genuine question.

·
Banned
14,412 Posts
This is a short abstract from some research i did a few years back for a friend.

Inactivity-mediated protein catabolism occurs in many

circumstances ranging from catastrophic events such

as severe illness or injury, to unique environments

such as spaceflight/microgravity, to more insidious

causes such as physical frailty and the progression

of aging. Nevertheless, regardless of the etiology,

the consequences of inactivity are readily observable

and debilitating. Mechanistically, the loss of lean

body mass during inactivity is the result of a

chronic imbalance between muscle protein synthesis

and breakdown. When inactivity is accompanied by the

stress of trauma or disease, the rate of muscle

protein catabolism can increase several fold. Bed

rest studies in healthy volunteers provide a unique

opportunity to examine the mechanisms contributing to

muscle loss and evaluate strategies for intervention

that may slow muscle catabolism and promote

anabolism. The prerequisite for muscle protein

synthesis and the most readily adaptable stimulus is

dietary-derived amino acids.

·
Gym Addict
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so getting protein is enough to slow down muscle loss? its just i had an op and could use my right leg for 4 weeks, diet was good this time and i lost so much muscle on the leg it was scary, i am due for another op in furtue(could be in a year or 5 yrs) and i will be on crutches for 8-12 weeks, i want to be in prime condition before having this op but fear losing muscle mass during this time.

·
Looking Freaky
711 Posts
After 12 wks you would lose a lot of muscle. I was in hospital for almost 2 wks when I broke my leg, most of that time spent in bed,and i think i lost around 1.5 stone. I know diet was not good but would hate to think how much would lose in 12wks even with good diet.

·
www.bodybuildingdepot.co. uk
9,170 Posts
12 weeks no exercise those muscle will waste. But you wil be bed riden for a reason so I suppose now strenuous exercise?

How about those electric muscle stimulators? would that help at all seeing as you going to be doing nothing for 12 weeks? Or will there be walking around and various exercises you can do?

You always have muscle memory and will probably pack it all back on if you hit a good diet and nice planned course after the 12 weeks when you better?

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
I was bed ridden for two weeks in early summer of this year due to the flu+tonsilitus, I lost nearly a stone and was gutted but I was having trouble eating as well due to the tonsilitus.

Maybe you could try swimming to keep your muscles active unless of course your leg is in a cast or something!

·
Newbie Trainer
94 Posts
thevoice said:
A very open question but how well could test 250mg per week keep muscle mass if you where in bed for 12 weeks due to injury - diet perfect by way.
Your muscle tissue is going to atrophy due to lack of activity,

i'm not sure if test is going to support the maintenance of muscle which isn't required, your body will want to be at the lowest energy state that it can...

·
Read Only
35,527 Posts
if you are bed ridden for 12 weeks the last thing you should worry about is muscle loss...

your muscles deplete(get smaller) when not trained there will be very little muscle wastage as you will not be exercising, muscle memory is an amazing thing and after the 12 weeks you will gain back the muscle within 4-6 weeks...

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
During my training we covered muscle loss due to imobilisation in a plaster cast. There is an appreciable loss of muscle from 8 weeks on as a result of total immobility. Poor diet, stress, disease can only speed up the process of catabolism.

Majority of losses initially are water, sacrificed when the carbs were removed from the muscles due to lack of use.

In your scenario I don't see why you couldn't formulate a training programme using basic equipment or even body weight resistance exercises or calisthenics.

One smart cookies site 'spartan warriors' has a load of you tube vids on simple but effective body weight exercises. They will be more than enough to stave off catabolism, alongside a healthy diet.

YOu may need to drop your total cals slightly if you are bulking at present, lowering them to a maintenance (isocaloric) level and replace some of the carbs with good fat and protein to reflect your change of lifestyle also.

You have quite a good opportunity to heal, recover, develop flexibility, core strength, see it as an opportunity not a setback :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts