UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on average what kind of money would I be looking at for advice right from the start of a diet to a show (say 12 weeks worth)... its something i would be looking at doing when i compete next year.... by advice i mean...

diet

training/cardio

alterations to the above as progress is made/isnt made!

cycle advice

i really havent got a clue how much this would cost and i dont want to contact individuals just yet incase i never end up doing it, dont want to waste anyones time.

cheers

·
UK-Muscle Moderator
15,472 Posts
Depends who is doing the prep.. I'm helping Jamie out and he is getting an invoice in Krispy kreams and KFC's.. but then he's a mate so its all good!

some charge around the £500 mark I think!

·
Optimum nutrition Rep
10,834 Posts
I am also interested in this as i would like to be preped by some1 next year if i had the cash.

Maybe there should be a forum section were people advertise there services. Im pretty sure some boards have this.

·
Who you calling a nerd?
161 Posts
hilly2008 said:
I am also interested in this as i would like to be preped by some1 next year if i had the cash.

Maybe there should be a forum section were people advertise there services. Im pretty sure some boards have this.
Go see phil hernon ive heard he offers great prices if you cant find someone here.

·
fat ginger
11,441 Posts
i've helped advise two people from start to finish so far (and they both won just about everything they entered :) ) and i did it for free,i wouldnt feel i could charge someone for it unless i was qualified in some way.

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
6,981 Posts
Magic Torch said:
PMSL there is a krispy kreams a few miles from the Hercules show! Quality! I hope i'm on stage early then we can eat all day!
god you two will eat them outa business................ Maybe someone should ring them and warn them of a mass group of HUNGRY bodybuilders that will be eating everything in sight post comp!! :tongue:

·
Someone make it stop.....
1,955 Posts
To have the valuable insight & years of experience on hand of a seasoned athlete during your prep is something difficult to put a figure on. You need to consider the persons credentials from several angles, here's just a few off the top of my head;

What have they achieved themselves in the sport?

Who have they helped in the past?

What results did they manage to get with those people?

Now consider that after finding this person who's input you think is worth seeking out, what would you consider a fair price for this valuable knowledge that could potentially save you literally years of trial & error? This person has in effect, become a professional consultant to you and in my opinion should be paid accordingly. For example even if you pay £750.00 or £1000.00, weigh that figure against how much time they would save you in the long run due to the benefit of their experience & you are ahead of the game all the way. If I had someone to help me like this at the beginning, I could have reached a much higher level in a much shorter space of time & who knows where I'd be now? I spent the first 10 years experimenting, studying & getting qualified so I am not ashamed of putting a value on my services. Some feel awkward about asking for money and to them I would offer this advice (for free):

if you don't value your own time & experience, neither will anyone else. Don't get me wrong here, I am not suggesting that you should rip people off either, just a fair exchange of quality advice for a fair price.

·
Moderator, Applied Sports Nutritionist
12,597 Posts
Well John Clarke has taken out a new mortgage to pay for the M3 I charged him :D

12 weeks lets say 2-3 hours a week for prep time, diet writing etc

average hourly rate for PT £35

£70 x 12 = £840

as Paul Booth has said you're paying for someones time and knowledge and also their eye in terms of assessing how you need to progress. You cant really put a figure on it exactly but if you're talking to someone with a proven track record like Harold Marillier, Paul Scarborough, Neil Hill, Paul Booth, Ian Chambers etc then you have to expect to pay something close to the above.

Personally I like to work with people who are comitted and focussed. Zak Roby and John Clarke are the most recent guys I've helped and the reason I enjoy working with them is that they do EXACTLY as I said and turned out in wicked shape.

Im also going to be getting another guy ready for the portsmouth next year who has so much potential and is completely driven.

Nothing worse than working with someone and they cheat all the time and lie about what they have done.

Yes people cheat from time to time but if I am told then we edit the plan to work around it.

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
good thread... how much do you value winning?

if you add up all the hours put in the gym, hours spent in the kitchen cooking your meals and all the sacrifices/choices you've made along the way

do you really want to short change your prep?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the replies, that is roughly the figures i expected to be banded about! and yes i completely agree with the value of such prep...

·
Someone make it stop.....
1,955 Posts
Tinytom said:
Well John Clarke has taken out a new mortgage to pay for the M3 I charged him :D

12 weeks lets say 2-3 hours a week for prep time, diet writing etc

average hourly rate for PT £35

£70 x 12 = £840

as Paul Booth has said you're paying for someones time and knowledge and also their eye in terms of assessing how you need to progress. You cant really put a figure on it exactly but if you're talking to someone with a proven track record like Harold Marillier, Paul Scarborough, Neil Hill, Paul Booth, Ian Chambers etc then you have to expect to pay something close to the above.

Personally I like to work with people who are comitted and focussed. Zak Roby and John Clarke are the most recent guys I've helped and the reason I enjoy working with them is that they do EXACTLY as I said and turned out in wicked shape.

Im also going to be getting another guy ready for the portsmouth next year who has so much potential and is completely driven.

Nothing worse than working with someone and they cheat all the time and lie about what they have done.

Yes people cheat from time to time but if I am told then we edit the plan to work around it.
I am the same. If someone is driven & will do what you ask of them, I have all the time in the world. However my reputation means a lot too so when someone comes to me week after week & I see little change while all the time they swear blind that they are doing it all to the letter, I will leave them to it (after examining all the angles about why it isn't working). I can usually weed out at the start the people who like the 'idea' of being in shape, but are not really prepared to put in the effort. The conversations with these people are usually littered with hurdles that they throw up to you as to why they can't eat this, or do cardio then, or can't prepare meals in advance etc. When I hear the word can't from someone, I am really hearing the word won't.

me & John are currently a few running transformations on select people for testrimonials and will be offering this as a service from the gym. We will be charging a fair price but not cheap.

Chem,

Prep is going well & I will be the sharpest I have ever been so looking forward to Sunday. I am now a sh1tload tighter than I was at Leeds. It's been a tough 2 weeks slog since then but worth it. Hopefully see you there buddy.

·
Read Only
35,527 Posts
Great post Paul and Tom....

until recently i did not charge for any advice i gave i wanted to but did not feel comfortable doing so.....

Now that i have prepped and coached a few guys/girls i can see the difference when i charge as the athlete seems more focused funny that :)

I have 2 rules when i prep someone

1 - only listen to me no one else....no prep can be successful if you don't follow this rule

2 - Winning is not guaranteed

no prep guy is going to openly quote what he charges so the best thing to do is to decide on a show then contact the person and ask him to give you a price....

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
Very good thread with some great posts. I've bookmarked for future reference.

It might be a good idea to have a page/thread with services like this on. I would guess there is a lot more people on this forum then i thought there was which can offer pre contest prep services.

Either way when i finally compete I will be sure to speak to people on here to get someone to help me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^

i dont think its just the best uk site for those reasons, it is just the best (yes im sucking up lol)

·
Rastafarian walks alone..........
624 Posts
Sorry for the late post on this I've only just picked this up.

I was one of the guys that Tom prep'd for this years South Coast show (Zak Roby), his advice was invaluable, accurate, informed and more importantly, and this really is a point that I must stress, his advise was continually adapted and changed throughout the 12 weeks to suit me and my body.

He continually evaluated and assessed me each week, made necessary changes, altered macros where needed, changed training cycles as the diet went on (I still hate Giant sets Tom), advised on my stack, and made it relevant to me.

There is a lot of advise of how to diet on the web, NONE of it will be exactly tailored to YOUR exact needs and body, you may think this won't make a difference, but it could be the difference between top 3 and no placing, after all if you are gonna do it, do it to win it and to be the best you can be.

So in short, what is this advise worth? I cannot give an exact figure, needless to say that Tom is my best mate, and it cost him a lot more than it cost me, however what would I have paid? Every penny he would have asked for, as I know that any good proffessional worth his salt will only charge you what is needed, so if you need to be seen twice a week it will be a hell of a lot more than if you need to be seen twice a month!

Do as your told, follow one person only, stick to it, be honest if you cheat, and stop whining about it, yes it hurts, yes its hard, yes you're hungry, yes you're tired, buck up, no-one wants to hear it, especially the guy thats spent hours devising your diet and training!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.