UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Enough is never enough!!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm near 90kilos and i've been following it for about 6 weeks now, having a weekend off then starting again on sunday. should i add/change anything this time around?

BREAKFAST:

Oats made from water with a spoon ful of jam for flavour,

1 banana,

40gr casein protein.

MID-MORNING:

30gr whey protein

30gr of oat cakes

LUNCH;

Sweet potato or brown rice

chicken breast

fish oil suppliment

MID-AFTERNOON:

30gr whey protein

rice cakes

PRE TRAINING:

1 banana

20gr whey protien

POST TRAINING:

2 apples

50gr whey protein

DINNER:

chicken breast

sweet potato or brown rice

steamed green veg

fish oil suppliment

MID-EVENING:

30gr Whey protein shake

BEFORE BED:

30gr casein protein shake

30gr of oat cakes

thanks for reading, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
hackskii said:
Too many shakes, not enough whole foods, not enough good fats, and drop the highly processed oat cakes, select a lower glycemic index carb that has fiber...
Spoilsport :tongue:

He's spot on though markus.

Shakes are a good addition to a diet but don't rely on them. Breakfast is a good time but have whey then and after training, and casein before bed.

Hacks hates all shakes though!

Whole foods are cheaper in general too - tuna for example takes about a minute to prepare and is inxpensive.

·
Enough is never enough!!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hackskii said:
Too many shakes, not enough whole foods, not enough good fats, and drop the highly processed oat cakes, select a lower glycemic index carb that has fiber...
Could you give me a example of what i should change the oat cakes too and as for the good fats what source should i be getting them from?

I do have a couple handfuls of nuts throughout the day i forgot to put that up!

thanks M

·
Enough is never enough!!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah happy and making some good progress, some new veins visible in my shoulder, the big one down my biceps is alot more niticable and my forarm looks like a road map when i'm hot,

lower abs are what i'm struggling with though.

is there anything else i should be adding to my diet? taking away etc?

·
8,552 Posts
wee-markus said:
a so called trainer told me too do it, slower release for the morning.
IMHO...you want to get protein to your body as quickly as you can first thing upon awakening...Your body has been burning protein all night with no replenishment for 8 hrs, so a slow releasing protein such as casein would only prolong the much needed protein that is required to build muscle...

·
Optimum nutrition Rep
10,834 Posts
You want fast release protein for the morning mate as your body will be in a catabolic state somewot so you want protein into you asap.

Have eggs for breakfast mate instead of the protein powder. then you are getting 3 good solid meals of the day. you should try and get another solid meal in there really but im of the opinion if you are getting 3 good solid meals a day and you prefer to use supplements for the other then so be it.

i try to get as many of my meals from solid foods but sometimes i prefer to just have a shake.

·
Enough is never enough!!
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cellaratt said:
You want to intake protein about every 2 to 3 hrs. so you would still benefit better from a quicker protein source first thing in the day...again JMO...
ok thats great, maybe you could help me out with this,

one of the other guys said i should swap oat cakes for another low gi high fibre carb, have you got any examples?

also good fats, where should i be getting these from? olives, nuts and fish oil suppliments?

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
Ok, I feel that supplementing protein is just for that, supplementation.

That is if you can not get the protein from food sources. I am a firm believer in eating the protein in its form that it comes with, many of the benefits of meat are lost when swapped out for shakes.

Why compromise nutrition for the sake of a shake? It contains none of the zinc, that meat has, none of the B-vitamins like meat has, contains none of the creatine that meat has, and the list is even longer if you are talking free range, way longer.

Eggs are a great example that fit well here.

I read along time ago that cultures that ate eggs, the people lived along time.

What do eggs have in them?

The whites contain niacin, riboflavin, chlorine, magnesium, potassium, sodium and sulfur.

The yolks With the exception of riboflavin and niacin, the yolk contains a higher proportion of the egg's vitamins than the white. All of the egg's vitamins A, D and E are in the yolk. Egg yolks are one of the few foods naturally containing vitamin D.

Eggs also contain LECITHIN, Calcium, thiamin, folic acid and some good fats.

The yolk also contains more phosphorus, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, and calcium than the white, and it contains all of the zinc. The yolk of a Large egg contains about 59 calories.

Free range eggs have 19 times the Omega 3 in them than store bought eggs.

Lets not forget that Vitamin D is a very common defiency, and that is not good.

Last I checked, protein powder didnt have any of that...lol

Carbohydrates

Rice cakes, which contain no fat are actually more fattening than a bowl of ice cream. Rice cakes are 600 times more fattening than a bowl of sugar. Rice cakes stimulate the fat storing in human cells. Ice cream and sugar have a lower glycemic index than rice cakes.

Yep, that is right, this is a highly processed carbohydrate, with a nice name of rice, but in reality, it is a snack food and a junk one at that.

Contains very little nutrition, no fiber, and no enzymes.

Why not eat cardboard instead?.......lol.....that was a joke, but used as an example.

For the life of me, I dont know how anyone can mow these down, table sugar would be just as good.

Select complex carbs and some vegetable and fruit carbs.

That apple is awesome, so is oats, whole grains, sweet potato, wild rice, and many others.

You may not realize the effects of your diet being young, but that diet when you are my age would make you a bit chubby.

The idea here is to replace glycogen stores, support the muscle with nutrition, and feed the body it needs for good health, down the road your body will thank you for it.

Shakes with rice cakes are a sure way of spiking blood sugars, which in turn will spike insulin and that meal will be stored as fat.

Seriously getting your nutrition out of bags, boxes, and containers is just lazy eating.

No offence, it can work in a pinch, but no a staple.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts