UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

help with incline benching

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BillC 
#1 ·
moved over to a free bench rather than the smith machine for incline bench, problem is i'm finding it's putting everything into my front delts and very little if anything into my chest. I've tried experimenting with differing hand positions but doesn't seem to make any difference how wide or narrow i place my hands, be grateful for any suggestions as it's driving me mad.

#2 ·
hi

I think you have the bench up to high, the higher the more shoulders get used, i prefer 30 degree and sometimes slightly lower, you will now when the angle is right as you should be able to feel it in the right areas of your chest.

Pushing the bar up can be explosive however when lowering it slow it dowm, eg 1 sec to get up take aleast 3 to lower maintaining tention. Additionally strech in between sets, to get fresh blood into the muscles, you will find this increases your pump.

Be very careful with shoulders, they get worked in several exercises, and can easily become overtrained and weaken, hence injury, idelly strech your shoulders and do a few light sets before you bench and remember technique is key in the long term.

Hope this helps.

nn

#10 ·
Hi as with most all exercises there is no superior movement as your body gets used to it quick, i would recommend alternating between barbell and dumbell incline, both have advantages. Personally I feel more isolation with the latter. Additionally add close grip tricep press to yuor tricep workout, it has done wonders for my bench press and when bench pressing or carrying out any chest movement lower the bat in a controlled manner and try and get a mind to muscle connection.

Finally dont gorget to strech between sets,

good lk .

nn

#11 ·
nearlynatural said:
hi

I think you have the bench up to high, the higher the more shoulders get used, i prefer 30 degree and sometimes slightly lower, you will now when the angle is right as you should be able to feel it in the right areas of your chest.

Pushing the bar up can be explosive however when lowering it slow it dowm, eg 1 sec to get up take aleast 3 to lower maintaining tention. Additionally strech in between sets, to get fresh blood into the muscles, you will find this increases your pump.

Be very careful with shoulders, they get worked in several exercises, and can easily become overtrained and weaken, hence injury, idelly strech your shoulders and do a few light sets before you bench and remember technique is key in the long term.

Hope this helps.

nn
X 2:thumbup1:

#12 ·
You will feel it a lot in your shoulders as it is bringing them into the exercise a lot. Can't be avoided. What can help make it more a chest exercise is pinching your shoulder blades together, as you should with all chest exercises (imagine trying to hold a pencil between your shoulder blades) and puffing your chest out. this forces your shoulders back and engages the chest more. Too often I see people dong this exercise and as it gets heavy, there shoulders are forward, taking the stress off the chest onto smaller and weaker muscles in the shoulders causing injury.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.