UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PAIN FREAK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi kids, I have been training for some years now but have never bothered with deadlifting before and just wanted some help with how much weight I should be starting off with.

I have a fair amount of muscle on me wich I have maintained from my rugby days, but have also got a fair amount of fat aswell. at only 5.6 and just under 15 stone my frame is simmilar to that of a power lifter and as of this I have a lot of strenght, but here lies my problem.............

As I have never deadlifted before I have no gauge as to how much weight I should chuck on the bar, so started today with 100kg on and did 5x5. I found this easy but stoped at that as REALLY dont want to injure my back. SO I suppose my question is how much should I be lifting, and how many sets..Would much appreciate anyone telling me what sort of weight they lift for how many reps, and how much it hurts if I get this wrong.......CHEERS FOLKS.

·
Natural0
10,018 Posts
If 5x5 @ 100kg was easy, then just keep upping the weight until if stops being easy, but keeping your form.

Check YouTube for EliteFTS Deadlift for some good form

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
i'd go up 10kg maybe 20kg see how you feel, keep checking your form. check th&s log for his deadlift stuff, he's got a 220kg one jus below his post. my record set this week is 210kg for 5.

·
PAIN FREAK
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry possibly shouldn't have said easy....now reading this post back I dont want to sound like a big hed...it was comfortable I think is the word. But cheers guy will try upping the weight in 10kg. but how should I be repping this.3x10 5x5 or just go to failure....just don't want to put my back out.

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
Mickytree said:
Sorry possibly shouldn't have said easy....now reading this post back I dont want to sound like a big hed...it was comfortable I think is the word. But cheers guy will try upping the weight in 10kg. but how should I be repping this.3x10 5x5 or just go to failure....just don't want to put my back out.
if you keep good form then you won't put your back out...

I did a personal best a couple of days back and I'm currently waiting treatment on a slipped disc.... it hurts if i try and lift a cup of tea and my body is twisted awkwardly, and sometime i feel twinges when loading single plates onto the bar but when i lift correctly there is no pain at all.

·
Discomfort is growth
5,970 Posts
Mickytree said:
No need to jump 10kg, go up by 2.5kg or the smallest amount you can, keep the reps and sets the same, and add that much every week for as long as you can, 2.5kg per week for a year is 130kg on your DL, in reality that wont happen, but there is no need to rush and hit a wall sooner than you need to.

G

·
I believe hams are predominantly fast twitch fibres (im looking for the article to back this up) and (IME) tend to respond better to low volume higher weight, like 5x5/10x3

·
it rubs the lotion on its skin---or it gets the ho
1,508 Posts
just stick to the 100k in my opinion for now,do progressively more reps atthat weight to build up muscle memroy of movement and ensure that you are in the right "groove" before going heavy,once you can do 20 reps at 100k you will have great lower back strength,and c.v as its a ball buster-thats 16stone anyway so is a decent weight

·
Gym Addict
97 Posts
regardless of how advanced you are on other exercises, i would always recommend caution on a new exercise. i would look to start too light just to get the feel for the exercise. i would also look to do some warmup sets and not jump straight into 100kg or more. i would then look to build the weight up slowly over say 6 weeks or so to a level where it is taxing. but i would wait a number of months before going balls to the wall with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts