UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished my 12 month contract at my gym and thought that as I couldn't afford the high fees (40 squid per month) I would end it. Turns out they have a clause in the contract saying you must give 3 months notice to quit. I wouldn't mind and find this fair if they tell you this 3 months before end but obviously they won't / don't.

Did a bit of reading in this small print and it also says that will consider instant termination of contract at there discretion if you have been made redundant. I thought bingo! I was made redundant in January. So I told them that and how I can no longer pay pay the fees and they asked for prof which I gave and guess what. STILL WANT 3 MONTHS NOTICE. :cursing:

Feel trapped and raped. If I wanted to leave my wife I can walk out the door. If I wanted to quit a job I could walk off site yet I can't quit the gym till they say!

Sorry for the long post but the short and narrow of it is that I rang up and ranted and raved now I have asked for a meeting with the membership manager on Friday. What am looking for are good ideas for this meeting to end nicely!

·
I hated every minute of training, but I said, don&
2,900 Posts
tell them you have personal circumstances that mean you need to cancel immediately and if they dont let you tell em your gonna take em to the solicitors :D That mite work...

·
Gym Addict
474 Posts
Cancel the direct debit :D

Or.. say you have fallen into dipression over work etc. you can go to docs, dont wanna say it as it may be banned on the forum... but you get the idea?

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ashy212 said:
If your paying by card possible cancel the card and should they dispute if your right about there claim you should be fine
I threaten that in a nice manner but they just shrugged and said the debt will be passed to a debt collecting agency.

·
I hated every minute of training, but I said, don&
2,900 Posts
Or tell them you are moving farther away - Use a friend's address or something. Alternatively tell 'em you'll take them to your local trading standards. They should sort it for you very quickly. :lol:

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Karl 197 said:
3 months notice...thats a bit harsh!!!!
Agreed! The more I think of it the more it makes me wanna hulk out!

The great thing is they reserve the right to instantly cancel your contract if you break any rules.

Should I walk into the bar area and throw a chair across the room. Even if the damage came to 100 quid I would be 20 quid better off!

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nicko11 said:
I'm in a similar situation looking to cancel my membership and they want me to give notice. If I cancel the direct debit can they still take the money from my account?
No but they can pass it onto a debt collecting agency

·
Banned
5,342 Posts
Mrcapo said:
Agreed! The more I think of it the more it makes me wanna hulk out!

The great thing is they reserve the right to instantly cancel your contract if you break any rules.

Should I walk into the bar area and throw a chair across the room. Even if the damage came to 100 quid I would be 20 quid better off!
Then you will find you are charged for criminal damage. :confused1:

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LittleChris said:
Its nothing to do with trading standards.

He signed a contract with the gym. Both parties must accept the terms and conditions.

You don't have a leg to stand on.
I kind of know that but it just feels so wrong.

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LittleChris said:
Then you will find you are charged for criminal damage. :confused1:
I would never do it anyway I just hate the hypocracy that they can instantly cancel but I can't.

Guess it is a simple as always read the small print!

·
Banned
5,342 Posts
Your only way to get out of it is to read through it and find where they have breached something.

So if for instance it fails to open at a certain time. Now you could attempt to terminate the contract here as one party is in breach of the terms.

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LittleChris said:
Your only way to get out of it is to read through it and find where they have breached something.

So if for instance it fails to open at a certain time. Now you could attempt to terminate the contract here as one party is in breach of the terms.
Yes, like that! It is mentioned that I can terminate my contract if that breach any of the terms. Problem is they don't

·
3,635 Posts
wear just a thong to work out, tell them u find no other clothes acceptable to train in. perhaps **** and sh1t yourself a few times, say you do that when your stressed from a lack of money that a gym keeps taking from you :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.