UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Help adapting routine - injuries getting me down

668 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  KASHLDN 
#1 ·
Had a lower back injury for more than 3 months now, much better now, pain free almost all the time.

Started Rippetoes SS a few weeks ago from scratch. It was going ok until I notice the squat wasn't helping my recovery, resulting in a very tight gluteal muscle evertime I did it (the symptoms I am fighting against)

This week just squated on Mon, took me 3 days to recover (40kg!!!!) I am however doing close stance 'air squats' everyday as suggested by the ostheo and these have been helping me in the recovery.

Couple of weeks ago, another injury, this time anterior deltoid - pain started whilst squating - pretty sure was lack of flexability and pulled a muscle...i'm better now but still feel pain when benching.

I am on a cut but as I am starting from zero I thought a strenght routine is what i needed...given that i can't squat properly and probably have to restrict deads too, what would you suggest??

Sorry about the long thread..i'm just depressed with all this bollocks and not sure what to do anymore

See less See more
#2 ·
Take some rest, a good six weeks away from all things weight related, save up your dosh and seek out a sports specific chiropracter, see it as a Crimbo pressie to your self, get checked out once you are free from strains and pains.

Then restart on the SS, but add stretching to your daily life, ham n glute area as well.

You might not touch a bar in two months but two months out of your training life is nothing, plus get it right and your giving yourself the best foundation for brilliant gains.

#3 ·
I agree with Blutos on getting yourself fixed up before loading the injured areas.

Stretching and posural practices eg( yoga and pilates ) may help during your recovery. A friend of mine who had slipped discs claimed pilates worked wonders with pain management and getting him back into his weight training.

J

#4 ·
also when you come back to squating baby steps youll feel daft doing it but start with an empty bar and slowly increase as little as 1.25 increases if your doing air squats for sets of 20 get the bar alone for 20 for a couple of sessions then add a couple of kg and slowly very slowly build up 40kg is to big a jump i know its frustrating im coming back from injury and its hard mentally

#6 ·
BLUTOS said:
Take some rest, a good six weeks away from all things weight related, save up your dosh and seek out a sports specific chiropracter, see it as a Crimbo pressie to your self, get checked out once you are free from strains and pains.

Then restart on the SS, but add stretching to your daily life, ham n glute area as well.

You might not touch a bar in two months but two months out of your training life is nothing, plus get it right and your giving yourself the best foundation for brilliant gains.
Thanks mate. I am seeing a sports specific ostheo. I've only started feeling considerably better about 3-4 weeks ago that's why i went back to lifting, before that was about 3 months of just cardio and the odd set of dips, chins or push ups.

bigbear21 said:
also when you come back to squating baby steps youll feel daft doing it but start with an empty bar and slowly increase as little as 1.25 increases if your doing air squats for sets of 20 get the bar alone for 20 for a couple of sessions then add a couple of kg and slowly very slowly build up 40kg is to big a jump i know its frustrating im coming back from injury and its hard mentally
Cheers dude, yeah I did start w empty bar, worked my way up adding 1.25 per workout but I'm stoping now...again. May be i should had an even slower approach to weight increase.? It's just so frustrating...it's been more than 3 months now.

I'm just doing ss low impact cardio now (xtrainer and cycle) and cause i had to stop squating etc, i now wanted to at least do some sort of weight training even being light stuff, just to cheer me up and not bore me to death at the gym. A strenght routine seems impossible atm so I don't really know...BB routine full body, split, nothing at all - just cardio?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.