UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when in amsterdam with my friends mushroom shopping i decided to look around the store and ended up purchasing some "Yerbamate" which is a south american drink i'd read about briefly a while back i was a little nervous bringing back a grassy looking substance but all went well. i hate tea and don't mind coffee but this to me seems like the ultimate drink even let my little nieces try some and they liked it!. ive just bought some more off ebay for myself pretty damn cheap something like 8 quid for a kilo.you drink it through a special straw called a bombilla. i digress, heres some facts for you!

"The nutritional value associated with Yerba Mate.

While yerba mate has been used as a base for herbal medicines in South America for centuries, the plant's benefits and therapeutic properties have recently been verified by a number of scientific studies. The chemical components of yerba mate are similar to those found in green tea; however, yerba mate is much more nutritious.

Each infusion of yerba mate contains:

• Vitamins: A, C, E, B1, B2, Niacin (B3), B5, B Complex

• Minerals: Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc

• Additional Compounds: Carotene, Fatty Acids, Chlorophyll, Flavonols,

Polyphenols, Inositol, Trace Minerals, Antioxidants, Tannins, Pantothenic Acid and 15 Amino Acids. "

some more benefits :

Induces Mental Clarity

Yerba mate has the ability to quicken the mind and increase mental alertness and acuity. Yerba mate also provides sustainable energy due to its complex combination of xanthine alkaloids and caffeine. Although its caffeine content is comparable to coffee, the stimulation is balanced by yerba mate's nutritional content. Clinical studies have shown that caffeine-sensitive individuals generally have very positive results and don't experience the hard side effects (jitters, stomach discomfort, headache) commonly associated with caffeine.

http://www.guayaki.com/index.php?p=health&id=526#Top

Sustains Energy Levels/Reduce Fatigue

Yerba mate is a central nervous system stimulant. The metabolic effects of mate appear to include the ability to maintain aerobic breakdown of carbohydrates during exercise for long periods of time. As a result, more calories are burned, thereby increasing cardiac efficiency and delaying the build-up of lactic acid. Additionally, mate's blend of xanthine alkaloids: caffeine, theophylline and theobromine, provide sustaining energy.http://www.guayaki.com/index.php?p=testimonials&search_option=430

Aids in Weight Control

For many years now, physicians in Europe have been incorporating yerba mate in treatments for obesity. In 2000, a research team studying obesity at the Charlottenlund Medical Center in Denmark tested an herbal preparation of Yerba Mate, Guarana, and Damiana (YGD) for gastric emptying and subsequent weight loss. They concluded that the herbal preparation, YGD capsules, significantly delayed gastric emptying, reduced the time to perceived gastric fullness and induced significant weight loss over 45 days in overweight patients treated in a primary health care context. In addition, maintenance treatment given in an uncontrolled context resulted in no further weight loss, nor weight regain in the group as a whole. Guayaki recommends that the product be used as part of a program that includes a healthy diet and sufficient exercise. http://www.guayaki.com/index.php?p=testimonials&search_option=439

Aids in Elimination

The indigenous of South America traditionally use yerba mate to treat gastrointestinal disorders as eupeptic and choleretic agent. Research conducted by a team at Catedra de Farmacologia in Buenos Aires, Argentina found that yerba mate does in fact induce an increase in bile flow and enhance intestinal transit.

Fights Bad Breath

Polyphenols found in tea and yerba mate have been shown to prevent both the growth of bacteria responsible for bad breath and the bacteria's production of odorous compounds.

it's also a potent antioxidant! tiny bit of a sugar and it tastes absolutely delicious i drink more when i feel a bit of a cold coming on and it works well.

just a thought for everyone health conscious! i'm sure you can find more info on the net about it and maybe you'll try it for yourself!

note: i originally read about it here, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=398412&highlight=yerbamate , which has turned into a 77 page thread about it!

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
Wow, I have never taken it before, I have heard of it, I can get it raw and handfulls of that.

I am going to have to give this a shot beings it keeps lactic acid at bay and has some fat burning properties, dont need it for the breath, mine smells like c0ck.....................lol, just kidding, I dont have breath issues.

Now there are a couple of dudes at work that I dont like talking to for this very reason....lol

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah especially when i wake up mate, every morning i wake up like ive got the hangover to end all hangovers because of medication, so it helps me quickly get out of that mode. whats more it tastes luscious :)

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ba baracuss said:
This looks interesting.

Sounds like it tastes rank though - what do you think TW?
suprisingly mate it tastes really nice i think, coffee even with milk and sugar for me is a bit bitter and strong and kind of takes over the whole of ure mouth, this is quite mild earthy and sweet.

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can send you a bit of mine just to give you a try like so you dont waste your cash. ive got a kilo and its cheap as chips. send you about 50g you'll get about 7-10 cups out of that. that goes for most members :D

·
Routine is the enemy
2,044 Posts
did you get one of these to drink it with :D

465px-Mate_02.jpg

I tried it in argentina, tastes like ass.

I am a fan of coca tea though, especially the fresh stuff, unfortunately it's illegal outside of peru and bolivia and the white folks like to refine it and stick it up their noses. Coca tea does have proven health benefits, the incans used it when they were forced to work 48hr shifts mining, as it promotes an even and sustained energy release. I used it to get up the side of a 4000m mountain on a 4 day hike. It also helps with altitude sickness :thumb:

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nah you don't really need one, but for ease of use and style ;) . you can jus use a coffee filter or a siv (sp?) before i got my bombilla i jus let the leaves soak then throw it through a kitchen siv a couple times into a mug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts