UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gym Addict
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best protocol when taking Glutamine ? Ive read so many articles most contradict each other Some say take it alone others mixed in your protien shake, before training,after training,during training,first thing in morning,last thing at night:confused1:very confusing & is it worth taking at all ?

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
Different protocol depending on what you want to take it for... many articles get mixed up so don't worry about being confused by it all.

If you want to take it for intestinal/digestive health then take 5g three times daily on empty stomach,

If you are using it on a low carb diet as a non-carb to boost glycogen take 1g per 10lbs bodyweight either pre or post workout,

If aiming for increases in growth hormone take 5-10g last thing at night without any source of carbs,

If looking for training benefits... then take BCAAs instead (a more effective way to cause a rise in cellular glutamine)!

In respect of mixing it with other proteins glutamine does compete with other aminos and often looses out when taken with them resulting in more of it being used for fuel by the liver... ideal way to take would be on its own with water 10-15 mins or so before everything else and on an empty stomach. That's enough to avoid any issues :)

·
Newbie Trainer
10 Posts
this might be a daft question but when taking glutamine does it make a difference whether you pre-mix it with water or just take a spoonful washed down with water? other than taste of course!

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
JohnR said:
Thanks a lot thats made it a lot simpler to understand If I choose to use BCAAs instead whats the best protocol for that ?
Most important thing is to take enough... you want at least 3g of leucine/5g of BCAA (ideally double that), as less than that isn't demonstrated as fully effective in a few studies.

You can use BCAA throughout the day but if just doing a once a day dose then taking it pre-workout and during the session I think is best, as that's when it can do the most.

In respect of BCAAs and glutamine, glutamine is one of the things they break down to when oxidised during exercise, and actually within the cells themselves which is much more potent than just taking supplemental glutamine... if you supplement something containing BCAAs during training then that prevents some catabolism to your muscles and causes the cellular release of glutamine and a few other metabolites that are beneficial to the growth and recovery process.

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
just wanted to add one more thing...in the post above, while it looks like I'm kinda suggesting that someone should take BCAAs and not glutamine, I'm not... is true that very little glutamine gets into the muscle cells where a bodybuilder wants it most, but it's still a valuable supplement I think for its other effects like improved intestinal health and immunity.

Many of the other stand alone amino acids don't do enough to make them worth taking, but BCAAs, leucine on its own, glutamine, and a complete blend of EAAs are all good to take or play around with because their effects are measurable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.