UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
small Lee
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,its been on my mind for quite a while now to give up the stinking habit:thumbup1:,i know i have to do it and im curious to know will giving up have any effect on my weight or training as i have heard many stories of people gaining unwanted weight through giving up.I have recently come off a low carb stint and made some good gains in lowering my BF and im planning on another low carb phase in a few weeks.Has anybody else gave up smoking and seen any positives through there training and gains.

·
Banned
5,946 Posts
depends mate, if you only smoke occasionaly like say - in the evenings or weekends - it won't make any difference. If you smoke all day then yeah it will. I recently quit putting tobacco in my joints - and only partaking at weekends and I seem to have a bit more energy, basically depends how much you smoke to how much difference it will make.

·
Banned
5,946 Posts
dru0111 said:
Best thing you will ever do in terms of training. You will have higher levels of natural test, you will be much more awake, you will have higher levels of energy you will be less paranoid and you will eat less [email protected] congrats and all the best
No offence mate, but there's no study to relate THC to test levels just opinion, also I gave up cannabis for 1 year and it made no difference to my training. I'm not saying it's not a good thing to do overall but it's not going to make that much difference to training - unless you are a reasonably heavy user... Ive been there and done it.

·
Getting HUGE!
1,896 Posts
hey ive already cut out most of my drinking, and all of my class A intake...

im ****ed if im giving up EVERYTHING i like... and one spliff or two at the most per day isnt going to destroy all my efforts surely?

besides all that, depriving yourself of some fun is wrong imho...

·
Stereotype Wiseman
324 Posts
megatron said:
No offence mate, but there's no study to relate THC to test levels just opinion, also I gave up cannabis for 1 year and it made no difference to my training. I'm not saying it's not a good thing to do overall but it's not going to make that much difference to training - unless you are a reasonably heavy user... Ive been there and done it.
agreed mate, after 10 years of daily use I quit and it didnt affect me in the gym for better or worse. If anything (not for one minute condoning it though!!!) it used to motivate me on the hardest days to get down gym as for me a nice smoke makes the sore muscled walk home all the better, and the situation i was in with regards to snidey tokes fitted in with this.

for me this is a very personal matter - i know a lot of people who dropped outta gym in early days because they were toking all the time, but then if they didnt toke they'd probably be giving other excuses... couch potatoes are couch potatoes after all.

I'd never recommend anyone to smoke while doing anything, in fact i'd never recommend anyone to smoke, but like i said it's a personal thing and i believe it's down to the individual how it affects the outcome.

·
Chasing 15 stone at 8% bf
2,661 Posts
I usually have mint shisha few times a week and havent noticed anything wrong with me, occasionally i may put alittle weed with it, i fi want to really relax.i think aslong as you aint having it everyday and cut down you shoudl still be ok

·
Getting HUGE!
1,896 Posts
ghostdog said:
agreed mate, after 10 years of daily use I quit and it didnt affect me in the gym for better or worse. If anything (not for one minute condoning it though!!!) it used to motivate me on the hardest days to get down gym as for me a nice smoke makes the sore muscled walk home all the better, and the situation i was in with regards to snidey tokes fitted in with this.

for me this is a very personal matter - i know a lot of people who dropped outta gym in early days because they were toking all the time, but then if they didnt toke they'd probably be giving other excuses... couch potatoes are couch potatoes after all.

I'd never recommend anyone to smoke while doing anything, in fact i'd never recommend anyone to smoke, but like i said it's a personal thing and i believe it's down to the individual how it affects the outcome.
bollox to that, i think everyone shoud be MADE smoke... :lol:

thered be a lot less wars in the world for sure...

i mean whens the last time you saw two stoners kicking the **** out of each other in the street at 2am...?

·
210lbs and rising
765 Posts
megatron said:
"Physically, cannabis is relatively harmless. Studies have observed interesting results, including that it causes structural changes in the brain, depresses male sperm counts, causes chromosome damage, lowers testosterone levels, and damages the lungs."

I gave up daily smoking etc and noticed a world of difference physically and psychologically. I was young and only used for a year or two! I would highly reccomend staying well clear of the sh!te if you want to maximise gains comming from personal experience.

·
Getting HUGE!
1,896 Posts
dru0111 said:
"Physically, cannabis is relatively harmless. Studies have observed interesting results, including that it causes structural changes in the brain, depresses male sperm counts, causes chromosome damage, lowers testosterone levels, and damages the lungs."

I gave up daily smoking etc and noticed a world of difference physically and psychologically. I was young and only used for a year or two! I would highly reccomend staying well clear of the sh!te if you want to maximise gains comming from personal experience.
you talk about it like its heroin or ICE

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
In a book I read (which made me give up smoking) the reason (one of) that he put down to people putting on weight is the hunger pang for nicotein. People mistake this for an actual hunger pang so eat more...

I thought it was true as I put on next to no weight giving up.

Remember your not giving up as this shows that it has control over you. You are becoming a non smoker.

·
Banned
5,946 Posts
dru0111 said:

You can't just quote something with no reference and call it a study, ive looked into this a few times and whenever you see the actual "study" it's a load of crap... The best one I saw had like 5 people in it - great. Akin to the "steroids make your dick small" myth...

·
small Lee
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the input folks,but i was only reffering to ciggarettes no puff puff give for me thanks...............yes i would say i am a heavy smoker its the only part of my lifestyle that is unhealthy i feel a bit of a contridiction at times!...........but taking the few comments that have been made i will be making plans now to become a non smoker thanks :thumbup1:

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
I do not know the science of weather it will effect you etc but from my personal experience with weed, I would say to come off it would be a good idea!

I took endless amounts of the sh*t for years when I was in my teens to early twentys as well as other harder drugs before I cleaned up my act and joined the army and I am not the same person at all now!

Weed made be lazy, killed any motivation or ambition in me and played havock with my apitite, it just generally helped me become a complete bum!

Since stopping taking drugs "weed being my main one" I have become far more motivated have a good well payed job, eat well, train hard and generally am just all the better for it.

I'm not saying that your experience with weed will be like mine or is but in my opinion weed or any rec drugs do not mix with BB or fitness in general!

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
megatron said:
Why say weed then?

Tobacco is the devil's creation imo... worse than pot by miles.
In the book I read, he refers to tobacco as the evil weed, I think its an old saying before weed was used in terms of drugs.

If you do struggle becoming a non smoker, then read a book called "Alan Carr - the easy way to give up smoking"

·
it rubs the lotion on its skin---or it gets the ho
1,508 Posts
i used to smoke 30 a day,so did the mrs-we both stopped,no patches or any other bollox just do it-a day at a time,after a few days you dont want to undo it.my stepsons asthma got much much better when we stopped,i cant believe the price nowadays a total waste of money,was affecting my training as was stopping a set due to needing air as opposed to muscular failure, dont fannny about just stop,its easy once you make the decision,so stop making excuses.

·
www.bodybuildingdepot.co. uk
9,170 Posts
My biggest gains going from 75kg to about 90kg's+ was when I was still smoking cigarettes or weed. i gave up drinking and cigaretters when on a course but i smoked atleast 2 or more joints a day during my early twenties.

Granted I feel alot better and fitter when off it for awhile. Age is another reason we all get fat not just giving up weed. I gave up smoking to gain more weight and it didnt really do that much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts