UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Looking Freaky
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv been told loads of times free weights are better than machines and cables

well i dont realy like to use machines anyway but i do cables and free weights,

why is it that free weights are supposedly better?

btw i do still do all main compound exercises.

·
Premium Member
17,863 Posts
Machines are in a fixed position and have a fixed movement. I think i read that using free weights you recruit more muscle fibres to make the lift and use stabilizer muscles (if this is such a thing)

Like i say, its only from what i have read.

·
Gym Addict
224 Posts
mahcines have pulley so they tend to take alot of the strain!

machines are good if you dont have anyone to spot you (but most good gyms should always have an instructor that you could approach) and ask to spot!

Personally free weights are a thumbs up for me. i dont want a machine taking some of the weight i want to lift it. getting the full movemnt and trying to stabalise weights and getting a good technique should be first on the list before lifting heavy weights.

·
That's me on the right.
314 Posts
scotty_new said:
iv been told loads of times free weights are better than machines and cables

well i dont realy like to use machines anyway but i do cables and free weights,

why is it that free weights are supposedly better?

btw i do still do all main compound exercises.
Free weights are harder to control due to having to balance them so work more muscles.

Why is it that people say this about machines so much though? Some machines (e.g. machine preacher curl) imo are better than free weights as the weight is on constantly and not just on the middle (vertical) part of the lift.

·
Looking Freaky
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea my thought was you get perfect or near enuff perfect form with machines/cables which is good especialy on a heavy weight as it focuses entirely on that muscle group.

Cheers for the replies/ suggestions

·
Premium Member
9,831 Posts
You can get good results with both. Free weights allow more freedom of movement and work more muscle as you have to balance the weight. Machines add a level of safety but can be uncomfortable on the joints as they have a fixed motion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.