UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

For a mate

1K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  TH0R 
#1 ·
Evening all, sorry it's late but I've been out with a mate tonight for a drink and he was saying he was going to get in the weight lifting but would like to start at home as he can't afford a gym membership at the moment, with that he cant afford to buy any weight and has asked me to put a post on to say if anybody is getting ride of any weights or equipment and is willing to let him having them, he would gladly pick them up. He drives and lives in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Manchester</st1:place></st1:City> area. I no it sounds a bit cheeky but I said I would try.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Thanks guys

G
#9 ·
foxriver said:
Evening all, sorry it's late but I've been out with a mate tonight for a drink and he was saying he was going to get in the weight lifting but would like to start at home as he can't afford a gym membership at the moment, with that he cant afford to buy any weight and has asked me to put a post on to say if anybody is getting ride of any weights or equipment and is willing to let him having them, he would gladly pick them up. He drives and lives in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Manchester</st1:place></st1:City> area. I no it sounds a bit cheeky but I said I would try.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks guys
Tell him less nights out for a drink = more money for a gym membership

I thought this was kind of a strange thread too.... but also thought it was cool of foxriver to try and help out a friend.. I would give him my treadmill(never use it) foxriver, but it might be kind of difficult as I live in the U.S.

Good Luck

#10 ·
Tell your mate to spends what he does on 3 beers to go and use that for 3 x gym sessions per week, why does it seem the norm to have a gym membership....? Can't think of anything more boring than using the same gym, week in, week out, move around to keep motivated.

Be a gym ho!

#11 ·
A few gyms will let you go on an ad-hoc basis (ie a couple of ££ for each visit) so maybe look at that. Other then that, you could potentially start with lifting heavy stuff with-in the house. (ie I used to do press ups wil a large sack of rice on my back!) Weights dont have to come in the shape of dumbells.

G
#14 ·
he doesnt needs weights as such, he can use no weight training, few videos going around the forum but cant recall what they're called, you basically use your bodyweight

youtube it perhaps

it wont get him far but itll make a good start while he cuts back on the beers and puts the money towards weights:D

not being sarcy about the beers, depends how much he wants to start

edit - considering how much weights cost i doubt anyone gives them away for free, postage will be bad enough

#15 ·
foxriver said:
Evening all, sorry it's late but I've been out with a mate tonight for a drink and he was saying he was going to get in the weight lifting but would like to start at home as he can't afford a gym membership at the moment, with that he cant afford to buy any weight and has asked me to put a post on to say if anybody is getting ride of any weights or equipment and is willing to let him having them, he would gladly pick them up. He drives and lives in the <st1:city><st1:place>Manchester</st1:place></st1:city> area. I no it sounds a bit cheeky but I said I would try.

<o:p></o:p>

Thanks guys
Sounds like one of those conversations that make perfect sense when p!ssed in the pub, but sounds totally ridiculous in the cold light of day.

How's your head this afternoon?

#16 ·
foxriver said:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks guys
I wonder how much of it will be and how long before the items kindly given away by someone will find their way onto ebay or on a card in a shop window for sale

#18 ·
If he can afford to go out drinking then he can skip the beer and go to the gym...plain and simple. Sorry OP but this is a bit of a cheek and thats putting it mildly, the others have not been so backward in coming out with their opinions which though blunt I entirely agree with..Whats a monthly gym membership approx 30-40 quid which equates to about 10 pints a month, not such a huge leap financially really just a reasignment or diversion of funds to what is most important to your friend.

#22 ·
foxriver said:
thanks for all the really friendly replys. I was only trying to help a hardup mate.
Fair enough, your motives were honourable and your friend is fortunate to have you in his corner. I guess that most of the people here myself included have to work hard to keep ends meeting and have had to save our money to pay for what we needed. To be honest I cannot really afford my gym membership but somehow I manage...so maybe you can understand why people here are not that keen to part with things "For Free" with the possibility that (a) it won't be used (or) see it on e-bay three weeks later.

Maybe try some charity shops see what they have...or local auction houses, whilst I hate to say it people have overspent (in some cases that I know of by a huge amount) and the baliffs are knocking, the removed goods find themselves in auction houses going for a song so why not give that a go...ok its not free but it's a damn sight cheaper....

Good luck

Andrew

#24 ·
Five-O said:
Tell your mate to spends what he does on 3 beers to go and use that for 3 x gym sessions per week, why does it seem the norm to have a gym membership....? Can't think of anything more boring than using the same gym, week in, week out, move around to keep motivated.

Be a gym ho!
That would cost a fortune round our way Jimmy, is that what you do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.