UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm just after some advice here on what are the best courses/qualifications to get to break into the fitness industry as I have had enough of driving a desk!

I spoke to a woman today at my local gym about vacancies for gym instructors etc and she advised me to look into the below course as I would need a basic industry recognized qualification to secure a job.......so is this any good, anyone done it or know of other courses that are better/cheaper etc? Cheers! :thumbup1:

http://www.icslearn.co.uk/vocational-courses/beauty-fitness/intro_exercise_fitness/

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yummymummy79 said:
Zara started a similar thread quite recently, might be worth having a quick look at that cos from what I remember there was a decent amount of info.
Nice one, you don't have the link by any chance do you or know which section it was in? Cheers!

·
Train for pain NOT for reps!!
1,281 Posts
Ive done gym instruction and Ive just gone onto my PT course and after finishing this I think I will go on to study sports nutrition.

Im training with premier

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rottee said:
Ive done gym instruction and Ive just gone onto my PT course and after finishing this I think I will go on to study sports nutrition.

Im training with premier
Do you currently work in a gym then mate, you recon this type of course could really help me secure a job in your opinion?

·
Train for pain NOT for reps!!
1,281 Posts
I dont work in a gym now it will be a complete career change.

Im really interested in any training and diet is a real interest of mine.

From what Ive read and been told theres jobs out there what you earn really depends how passionate and dedicated you are in the career.

·
Premium Member
15,472 Posts
PHHead said:
Do you currently work in a gym then mate, you recon this type of course could really help me secure a job in your opinion?
It'll get u a job in a gym mate, but level 2 won't give you much money!

You'll be doing inductions, writing basic progras, cleaning and just standing ther ebeing bored off your tits until someone asks u to show them some ab exercises lol

Do the level 3 at the same time mate and get into personal training

·
Gym Addict
129 Posts
Hey mate, I am in the same boat I am currently halfway through my Level 2 and am gonna go straight into my Level 3 for Personal Trainer once completed! Doing mine through Premierskills all courses are free for UK citizens older than 19 years old! All I had to pay was £50 for course materials (aka manual, portfolio, tests etc)

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DB said:
It'll get u a job in a gym mate, but level 2 won't give you much money!

You'll be doing inductions, writing basic progras, cleaning and just standing ther ebeing bored off your tits until someone asks u to show them some ab exercises lol

Do the level 3 at the same time mate and get into personal training
Cheers for the input mate, TBH I wouldn't be that bothered about the money just really want to work in a job that I enjoy for once in my life before I get too old lol..................personal training would be the end goal though but just want to get the foot in the door first!

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
muzzy2kuk said:
Hey mate, I am in the same boat I am currently halfway through my Level 2 and am gonna go straight into my Level 3 for Personal Trainer once completed! Doing mine through Premierskills all courses are free for UK citizens older than 19 years old! All I had to pay was £50 for course materials (aka manual, portfolio, tests etc)
This sounds too good to be true, you got a link to the site thats doing this course mate?

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bump, think I'm going to go for the level 2 Gym Instructor course through FIE just to get my foot in the door then once earning will enroll in the level 3 Personal Trainer one..........what sort of money roughly would you start on as a basic gym instructor then?

·
Getting HUGE!
2,554 Posts
PHHead said:
Bump, think I'm going to go for the level 2 Gym Instructor course through FIE just to get my foot in the door then once earning will enroll in the level 3 Personal Trainer one..........what sort of money roughly would you start on as a basic gym instructor then?
Your looking at minimum wage in 90% of places. Only exceptions seem to be council run gyms.

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
martin brown said:
Your looking at minimum wage in 90% of places. Only exceptions seem to be council run gyms.
Hhhmmm didn't think it would be that bad but as I say will be looking to take more courses and progress anyway.

·
SOMEDAY
315 Posts
Hello mate, I work in the fitness industry and have found that a lot of companies recognise certain certs apart from obviously having a sports degree. I would recommend contacting Focus training as there quals are widely noticed. I know they have a centre in Bolton. I can try and find there number if needed.

Hope this helps.

·
Gym Addict
129 Posts
straughany10 said:
sorry mate, are ya saying that if your older than 19 you get your level 2 and level 3 personal trainer course free, whats the catch, do you need to be unemployed or summit?

Not being sarcastic mate, genuine question.
I thought exactly the same thing and thought the catch was coming when they asked for the £50 fee for course materials! But they assured me this was the only money that would have to be paid to do my Level 2! Guessing there maybe another £50 for the level 3 books etc!

I am currently 8 weeks into the course and have around 4 or so weeks left, just sat my exam last week for the theory side! As of yet no other catches classes are good and learnt a fair bit!

Nope u dont have to be unemployed I think everyone in my class is employed full time! 2 of the people on the course actually work for Fitness First in Reception and are building up to PT's.

If u need any more information or help on it ask away!

p.s yep thats the website as was poster above www.premierskills.gov.uk

·
MP242262
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
muzzy2kuk said:
I thought exactly the same thing and thought the catch was coming when they asked for the £50 fee for course materials! But they assured me this was the only money that would have to be paid to do my Level 2! Guessing there maybe another £50 for the level 3 books etc!

I am currently 8 weeks into the course and have around 4 or so weeks left, just sat my exam last week for the theory side! As of yet no other catches classes are good and learnt a fair bit!

Nope u dont have to be unemployed I think everyone in my class is employed full time! 2 of the people on the course actually work for Fitness First in Reception and are building up to PT's.

If u need any more information or help on it ask away!

p.s yep thats the website as was poster above www.premierskills.gov.uk
Hi mate, thanks for all the info, can you confirm is these guys have told you that you can use the qualification to get registered with reps then as I can't seem to find anything about that on the site? Cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.