So basically I base my routine on the 5/3/1 but I use some different parameters
What I'm doing at the minute is

Monday - Bench
Bench Press 5/3/1
Pause Bench 5x5/3
Dips, 4 sets of 10
Inc Press, 4 sets of 10
Triceps, 4 sets of 10
(I would do a prowler sprint but my gym doesn't have one... sad times)

Tuesday - Squat
Squats - 5/3/1
Deadlift Variation 5x5/3
Squat Variation (Front/ High bar etc...) 5 sets of 10
Leg Press Variation, 5 sets of 10
Core (Leg Raise + Dec. Crunch_ 4 sets of 10-15
Calfs - 6 sets of 12-15 (coz calfs)

Thursday - Overhead Press
Overhead Press 5/3/1
Overhead Press 5x5/3
Press Variation 4 sets of 10
3 Way Raise 4 sets of 10 each
Triceps (2 exercises) 3 sets of 10
(Again, I'd love to put Box Jumps in here but again... f**k my gym)

Friday - Deadlifts
Conventional Deadlifts 5/3/1
Pause Squats 5x5/3
Deficit Stiff Leg Deadlifts - 5 sets of 10
Shrugs OR Rack Pulls OR Pull ups 5 sets of 10/ 50 reps in as many sets as possible because I suck at Pull Ups
Core (Palloff Press/ Hanging Hip Hinge) 4 sets of 10-15

So, the main reason I want feedback is because I know a lot of people throw some rows in on deadlift day, but after stiff leg deadlifts my lower back just cant take it and I cheat loads so thats off the list. And I know some people throw them in on Bench day or OHP day, but again my list is full and I feel that if I throw rows in there then I'll be pushing myself a little more and start throwing my CNS out, So basically, what I want feedback for is;

How can I throw Rows and Pull ups within my routine so I can include Shrugs/Rack Pulls in my Deadlift Day without putting too much in and fautiging my CNS and ultimately fu**ing my s**t up?

Any help would really be appreciated, if you see on my profile, I've only been into lifting for about a year now, and powerlifitng for several weeks.

Thanks all :)

·
Gym Addict
2,351 Posts
Man that looks like a lot of work! What are your lifts like bud? Are you using the 5/3/1 percentages? And how are you programming your assistance stuff? Tbh ive had great success from reducing volume per session, but increasing frequency.... so squatting and benching twice weekly and deadlifting and shoulder pressing once...

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How's the modified routine going?
I'm feeling a lot better with it bud, love putting more emphasis on the main lifts as opposed to accesory work

Man that looks like a lot of work! What are your lifts like bud? Are you using the 5/3/1 percentages? And how are you programming your assistance stuff? Tbh ive had great success from reducing volume per session, but increasing frequency.... so squatting and benching twice weekly and deadlifting and shoulder pressing once...
Yeah, on that note I got a new programme from Bataz here which involves a hell of a lot less vloume. Feeling much better for it :) ATM my lifts are 80kg for 5 on bench, 140kg for 1 on Squats and 160kg on Deads for 1 but I know I could do more on that

·
Gym Addict
2,351 Posts
I'm feeling a lot better with it bud, love putting more emphasis on the main lifts as opposed to accesory work

Yeah, on that note I got a new programme from Bataz here which involves a hell of a lot less vloume. Feeling much better for it :) ATM my lifts are 80kg for 5 on bench, 140kg for 1 on Squats and 160kg on Deads for 1 but I know I could do more on that
good stuff man! @Bataz knows his apples and im sure youll make great progress.

·
Super Moderator
12,945 Posts
you could make faster progress for the numbers youre currently at running something like madcows or the texas method

5/3/1 is more of an advanced intermediate routine as the progression is less aggressive than the above two

if youve got your heart set on running 5/3/1 then at least run the PTW template so that you can get in the extra frequency and bar time on the main movements

Art Circle Font Event Monochrome photography

"don't go ape-s**t with supplemental exercises. They should complement the training, not detract from it. You must have a very strong reason for doing an exercise. If you don't, scrap it and move on." - Jim Wendler

Attachments

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad it's going well mate. I look forward to hearing about some PB's soon!
That might not be as quick as I was hoping, I've been eating like s**t so the gains arent looking great. AND my elbow realy fu**ing hurts, I think I might have tennis elbow or some s**t... Hopefully i'll be okay for next week

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.