UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Pick up, put down, repeat
464 Posts
Interesting reading re red diesel. Does the same go for central heating oil?
I have been running on waste chip fat for over a decade now and wouldn't go back to pump fuel if I can avoid it.
Costs around 20p a litre and takes me about 15 mins a week to make all the fuel I need.
I mix 10% petrol into the veg oil to thin it out and Ive been trying to find a source of misfuel (stuff drained from peoples tanks who filled up with the wrong fuel) but it's hard to get hold of as places are funny about selling a waste product to a random.
just don’t wanna get caught running on it do you, same fine as red diesel. I’m all for banning red diesel tho for my own selfish reasons 😉

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
just don’t wanna get caught running on it do you, same fine as red diesel. I’m all for banning red diesel tho for my own selfish reasons 😉
So £500 fine? Didn't they used to seize the vehicle too?

They tried to make veg oil illegal/ duty payable in the 00s but quickly realised that the admin required to deal with thousands of private home brewers wasn't worth the hassle so they introduced a yearly 2500 ltr production limit/ tax exemption. That's enough to run two cars for a year with a combined mileage of 25-30k miles. If you make more than this then you pay duty on everything and the duty rate for "diesel substitutes" like veg oil is high which is interesting seeing as recycled European rapeseed oil is mostly a carbon neutral fuel and also recycled. Just goes to show that they only support green energy when it makes them money at other points of production, individuals should not make an effort in any practical way and should instead pay a business in order to improve their carbon footprint.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
So £500 fine? Didn't they used to seize the vehicle too?

They tried to make veg oil illegal/ duty payable in the 00s but quickly realised that the admin required to deal with thousands of private home brewers wasn't worth the hassle so they introduced a yearly 2500 ltr production limit/ tax exemption. That's enough to run two cars for a year with a combined mileage of 25-30k miles. If you make more than this then you pay duty on everything and the duty rate for "diesel substitutes" like veg oil is high which is interesting seeing as recycled European rapeseed oil is mostly a carbon neutral fuel and also recycled. Just goes to show that they only support green energy when it makes them money at other points of production, individuals should not make an effort in any practical way and should instead pay a business in order to improve their carbon footprint.
Only seize it if you can’t pay the fine at the roadside

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Interesting reading re red diesel. Does the same go for central heating oil?
I have been running on waste chip fat for over a decade now and wouldn't go back to pump fuel if I can avoid it.
Costs around 20p a litre and takes me about 15 mins a week to make all the fuel I need.
I mix 10% petrol into the veg oil to thin it out and Ive been trying to find a source of misfuel (stuff drained from peoples tanks who filled up with the wrong fuel) but it's hard to get hold of as places are funny about selling a waste product to a random.
How does it work broski? What’s the process for turning crisp n dry into fuel?

·
Registered
Pick up, put down, repeat
464 Posts
If it’s new crisp n dry then to turn it to fuel you just put it in your fuel tank! In winter I would put in 40ltr cooking oil and 10ltr of petrol and drive home zig zagging to mix it up in the tank. Otherwise it was too thick to get through the injectors and wouldn’t start. I used to pay £14 for 20ltr of oil From bookers or macro

I think charlysays uses used oil though which I dunno how to use. There’s a lot of dissolved water in there and solids

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Here's a pic of what I built about 12 yrs ago. The only thing I've added is a pressure relief valve on the pump so it doesn't build up too much pressure before the filters.
You pour the waste oil into the drum wrapped in a duvet cover, pouring the oil through a bit of old bed sheet clamped in the top of the drum with the lid clasp to coarse filter it. The duvet cover was because I used to heat it to aid settling. I don't bother with that now and just add 15% petrol which helps settling out impurities.
After atleast a week of settling in that drum it gets pumped through the filters on the wall, the last filter is 1 micron. Note the outlet for the pump is 6" off the bottom so none of the settled out crud/ water etc gets pulled in.

From the last filter (right to left) it goes into a holding tank. I have another pump on that which pushes it through a Baldwin pf10cs particle and water blocking filter before it comes out of a dispenser nozzle into my car.
So I basically have a mini veg oil refinery and fuel station in my back garden.

Gas Cylinder Machine Pipe Electrical wiring

Done about 300,000 miles on fuel made this way. Ive had the injectors renozzled after plenty of mileage and there wasn't any evidence of cavitation damage to the parts so it's doing a good enough job at removing water and crud.

The vehicle you use is very important though.
I've tried a few and the only ones which are bombproof on veg oil are 70s-90s mercs with inline injector pumps, even then they need a half days worth of spannering to get them ready to reliably run on it. Engine codes om601- om606.
That includes the ssangyong rexton/ musso 2.9td which is a copy.
The prep really just consists of slight adjustments like disabling egr on the later ones, advancing the injection timing, rebuilding the injectors with new nozzles and higher pop pressure and replacement of old O rings and fuel pipes which tend to quickly fail on veg oil.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Here's a pic of what I built about 12 yrs ago. The only thing I've added is a pressure relief valve on the pump so it doesn't build up too much pressure before the filters.
You pour the waste oil into the drum wrapped in a duvet cover, pouring the oil through a bit of old bed sheet clamped in the top of the drum with the lid clasp to coarse filter it. The duvet cover was because I used to heat it to aid settling. I don't bother with that now and just add 15% petrol which helps settling out impurities.
After atleast a week of settling in that drum it gets pumped through the filters on the wall, the last filter is 1 micron. Note the outlet for the pump is 6" off the bottom so none of the settled out crud/ water etc gets pulled in.

From the last filter (right to left) it goes into a holding tank. I have another pump on that which pushes it through a Baldwin pf10cs particle and water blocking filter before it comes out of a dispenser nozzle into my car.
So I basically have a mini veg oil refinery and fuel station in my back garden.

View attachment 212463

Done about 300,000 miles on fuel made this way. Ive had the injectors renozzled after plenty of mileage and there wasn't any evidence of cavitation damage to the parts so it's doing a good enough job at removing water and crud.

The vehicle you use is very important though.
I've tried a few and the only ones which are bombproof on veg oil are 70s-90s mercs with inline injector pumps, even then they need a half days worth of spannering to get them ready to reliably run on it. Engine codes om601- om606.
That includes the ssangyong rexton/ musso 2.9td which is a copy.
The prep really just consists of slight adjustments and replacement of old O rings and fuel pipes which tend to quickly fail on veg oil.
Hats off to you that’s pretty good mate

I bet your setup is cleaner than some of the ugls that get recommended on here too 😂

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Hats off to you that’s pretty good mate

I bet your setup is cleaner than some of the ugls that get recommended on here too 😂
Thanks pal. It took a while to build and get up and running but I still get a great sense of freedom when I realise I haven't been to a petrol station for months. Fuel costs about 20p/l and takes about 15-30 mins a week to sort.
I used to run pure veg oil year round but they definitely run better with some petrol and cetane booster mixed in.
Apart from the first car I ran it on, a Peugeot 405 1.9 TD I've never had a breakdown.
I'd love to find a source of misfuel, stuff drained from peoples tanks when they put the wrong fuel in but it's hard to get hold of. It's treated as a waste product but would mix with veg oil a treat and be cheap.

I agree with the bit about it being cleaner than some UGL roid labs, certainly no hairs or heavy metals floating in my filtered waste veg oil lol.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts